Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do you need a masters degree to be accepted into a PhD

9 posts in this topic

Do you need a Masters degree to be accepted into PhD programs in germany ?

I have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and i would like to pursue a PhD after doing some certificates without the hassle of studying some general subjects that i won't be ever needing in a masters degreee.

I'm not sure if its mendatory to get a masters degree to apply or not.

2 hours ago, CaptainMcAwesome said:

Do you need a Masters degree to be accepted into PhD programs in germany ?

It is usually required. However, universities have a certain amount of discretionary power with respect to admissions.

You should contact professors with whom you'd like to write your thesis. Once you find a supervisor, you can try to negotiate the entrance requirments.

Let me give a vague and highly likely outdated info. Previously there were graduate schools like in uni Paderborn who accepted high caliber graduates, and provided a PhD program.  

What is it that the Germans say again, Jain.

They have to be sure of the quality of the applicant.

Quality is more easily proven if you have a Masters degree from a reputable university (a friend of mine had one from an not-reputable one and was invited to do a filler year to plug up holes).

Showing up with a Bachelor's degree means there is might be a significant gap in knowledge/capability/etc you'll need to prove to them isn't there (Possibly be means of your certificates). Which means getting them around a table. Which  . . . . is very much up to the individual institution/person.

I'd say +1 to Engelchen's suggestion of finding a professor first, over trying to get an application that is missing a checkbox (MSc) through the application process.

My personal anecdote of how I got an invitation to a PhD program through personal connection is invalid, as that was in Japan

Wait, that's how you spell it?

They didn't take 2 from Ja and 2 from Nein.

They went with Ja and Nein?

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Maarsch said:

They went with Ja and Nein?

Yes, they did. Outrageous, isn't it?

Where did you gain your bachelor's degree? And is an ordinary bachelor's degree or a bachelor's degree with honours?

If the former, you proably won't have a chance. In the "British" world, a bachelor's degree with honours is normally equivalent to a master's degree. But even in this case, the question is whether the Germans would be prepared to recognise it. Is doing an additional master's degree a realistic option for you?

Disclaimer: I cannot speak on degrees from the US.

4 minutes ago, onemark said:

Where did you gain your bachelor's degree? And is an ordinary bachelor's degree or a bachelor's degree with honours?

If the former, you proably won't have a chance. In the "British" world, a bachelor's degree with honours is normally equivalent to a master's degree. But even in this case, the question is whether the Germans would be prepared to recognise it. Is doing an additional master's degree a realistic option for you?

Disclaimer: I cannot speak on degrees from the US.

I don't believe that a masters is the same level as a bachelors with honours, a masters is higher.  But, normally a bachelors with honours in the UK would be enough to allow you to do a PhD.

This shows the different levels and states what you need to study at each level.

https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/part-time/level/