Marital status update in Berlin

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently (2 months ago) consumated a divorce here in Berlin. I was now told I need to update my marital status to divorced in a Bürgeramt. I went through the Dienstleistungen list and for the love of everything that is holy, I cannot find anything specific for a marital status update. Could someone point me to which type of appointment do I need to make?

Best regards

You say you "consumated a divorce" in Berlin. Does that mean you went to the Amtsgericht here and have been granted your divorce decree? In that case, the Standesamt is usually notified automatically.

Who told you that you need to go there to get your marital status updated?

Yes, I went through the proceedings at the Amstgericht, got the sentence, and over one month elapsed, so it's official now.

The Standesbeamtin I contacted at the Standesamt told me that I would need to update my marital status with the Bürgeramt. Maybe because my marriage was done abroad?

That's very odd. I searched the entire berlin.de website for "Scheidung" and the only thing I could find was a form requesting recognition of a divorce performed abroad or by a religious leader, such as a rabbi or imam.

Is there any way you can contact that person again and ask them exactly what they need from you and how you can make an appointment for it?

Yes, that sounds the most sensible thing to do. Thanks for the recommendation :)