Americans just moved to Stuttgart

40 posts in this topic

Hi!

I just moved with my family (husband, 2 kids) to Stuttgart a few days ago.  We have a few questions.

Right now, I seem like I'm stuck on getting this Wohungsgeberbestatigung document.

We are in hotels and airbnbs trying to figure out where we should ultimately live.  Hopefully by September when my 7 year old can start in Grundschule.

My work permit will take some time.  To get started on the work permit, I need to go to a city agency and state that I live here.  To do that, I must get this Wohnungsgeberbestatigung signed by my landlord.  I'm in an airbnb right now and the landlord doesn't want to sign it because it carries some sort of consequences for him.  Understandable, so we are moving on.

But then the question is, where do we go to get this document signed?

Anyone have experience with this situation?

Thanks,

Keri Carpenter

In Germany everybody needs to register at an address. You need to do this at Einwohnermeldeamt in your city. In order for people not to register at some random address, you need the landlord to sign off on that you are actually living there. However, most short term landlords will not do it because it can be a hassle for them and a long term rental is hard to get when you don't already have a work permit and a job. All you can do though is basically keep trying.

Do you already have a job lined up? If you do, you should ask the employer to help you find an apartment.

10 hours ago, Keri Carpenter said:

My work permit will take some time. 

What is your current visa status?

What are you learned at?

What kind of work do you plan to do?

You could also just register telling the registration authority that your current landlord refuses to give you a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung and showing them your lease contract. That would have even more undesirable consequences for your landlord though. Therefore, I´d suggest you point out to her/him that they are legally required to give you that Wohnungsgeberbestätigung.

I am a bit amazed that op would move family( with children), across the ocean with no firm visa, place to live.  There seems to be a job offer, but dependant on pending visa.

15 hours ago, Keri Carpenter said:

My work permit will take some time.  To get started on the work permit, I need to go to a city agency and state that I live here.

I have to second RedMidge's wonderment about this

especially in light of the salary they are allegedly offering, and the alleged relocation package, I am dumbfounded that the company has not already started the application for residence/work permit (presumably a blue card) from day one of signing the contract.

My first employer did that for me (and all imports actually) as it was in their best interest to ensure I could start working on the date agreed, if nothing else.  I just had to go to the abh with photos, register, pay and pick up the permit, essentially. I was working within a couple of days of my arrival as everything was already done.  In addition, employers can usually get permits fast-tracked, so to speak.  One told me they had it down to two weeks flat, whereas at the time, if I'd had to run through everything on my own it would have been min 6 weeks.

Yeah, something weird there.  I don't make nearly that much and my company provided my housing for 6 months and helped with permits.  Maybe some sort of start-up with a clueless HR department?  

21 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Maybe some sort of start-up with a clueless HR department?  

German HR departments are usually clueless regarding foreign.

For housing you can try a short term furnished rental they will give you the paper you need to register and are usually fully furnished. You will need deposit and there is a contract is see one called agenthome for stuttgart. (No idea if good or not) even with this they may ask for work contract etc. There are others you can search like homecompany but not sure in the area. We used one in berlin and was fine for 2 months. Doubt you will get from a air bnb. However what kind of visa do you have? When we came I did a regular work visa in usa and then a blue card after arriving so i could work first day. If pending bluecard hope you verified degrees etc. ? You cant work until it is approved.  I even had a company paid law firm process my docs and they were wrong in many things they told me.

I third the sentiment that your new company's HR department should have already done a majority of this legwork but, cest la vie...for the housing issue, you could always grab a 3 month corporate rental from someplace like this:

https://www.agenthome.de/en/

At least it would get you over the initial Wohungsgeberbestatigung document hurdle. 

Welcome to Germany.

-Zeek  

The reason the airbnb landlord does not want to give you the document might be that s/he doesn't have permission to let out the place as a holiday rental or sublet it. If caught, they could face heavy fines in some cities.
The suggestions above are really good ones. a furnished rental might be expensive, but would solve those issues.

To look for a place to live, some companies have a notice board - often online - where people advertise apartments etc. Depends on the size of the company.

Welcome to Germany and good luck!

Re: schools - School holidays in Baden-Württemberg don't start until next week, so if you want to have a chat with any schools in particular, now is the time! Depending on type of school you want for you eldest (regular, international, alternative (Walldorf, Montessori), you could go the other way: Find a school you like and focus your search for accommodation on that area.

We used a holiday rental, furnished, cleaner supplied plus basic groceries, and no problem with discount for longer stay and the registration form. Might cost more- but worth it.

25 minutes ago, maxie said:

If caught, they could face heavy fines in some cities.

but by not signing, they run additional risk of being reported for not providing the Wohnungsbestätigung, which drastically increases their risk for getting found out for the rest, too

It's a strange strategy

On 21.7.2019, 21:06:12, Keri Carpenter said:

I just moved with my family (husband, 2 kids) to Stuttgart a few days ago.  We have a few questions.

Any news? 

Stuttgart is one of the cities which applies the Zweckentfremdengsverbot so the landlord could indeed face very substantial fines if running the place as an airbnb let without official permission.

On 22.7.2019, 15:52:17, lisa13 said:

I have yet to see a startup that could offer a salary like that :)

I was on the East Coast for the Dot.com days.  Saw many many startups offering that much.  All of them gone now...

Don't know the market that well, but I know I could be making substantially more if I wanted to move to Munich (I don't).   Maybe Stuttgart is similar?  could be.

Given the location, I'm guessing this "startup" is actually an incubator or in-house startup by one of the big automotive companies or suppliers.

But the OP isn't obliged to share any of that information with the forum. She's probably provided too much information (salary-wise) already to prevent sour grapes.