Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German Resident & Compassionate Leave/Sickness while in UK

5 posts in this topic

My husband (employed in Germany) was on pre-agreed holiday to visit family in the uk. While here we married (which I think there may be one day allowed) but also his Mother became seriously ill and sadly passed away in hospital soon after. My husband is also the executor of the will. He's obviously very stressed and upset. His employer is demanding his return to work asap (he telephoned him less than 24 hours after his Mother had pased. Wondering what his rights are? If he gets signed off with sickness by a uk GP, does this carry in Germany? Does he have Compassionate Leave rights?

Any help appreciated. 

Deborah 

what a bastard

could your husband contact his doctor in Germany to see if they can help?  That would be the best bet I'd guess.

According to this:

http://eu-vertretung.de/krankmeldung-aus-dem-eu-ausland-in-deutschland/#

The same rule should apply if you are abroad within the EU when you fall ill and get a doctors note from that country.

I believe that you are also entitled to "Sonderurlaub" in the event of a close family member passing.  But the rules here are vague as to how long one can take.  

If possible, also talk to works council or union.  Often such things are negotiated in company agreements.

I think Sonderurlaub ist only two days if it's a close relative. One for the day of death and one for the funeral. If your relative is abroad you'd have to ask for vacation and if your boss is an ass he might not approve it. 

However if the guy is in shambles to the point he wouldn't be any use at work anyway he could be written off sick and the employer can do nothing.

Talk to and explain the situation to the boss, that is the only way.

If you explain it and if necessary follow LeonG's (doc's note) advice you should be okay (so long as you are out of probezeit). They might accept a doc's note from abroad (but will probably want the German paperwork, the pink slip).

The rule is vague which means you will have a problem getting a clear definition and the boss will likely interpret it differently and to his needs/advantage.

Also, I had a family member pass away shortly after my boss had a family member pass away. He was gone for an extended time. I flew home to the US to be with said family member beforehand but only after organizing things at work (got everything covered). My boss had no sympathy when I claimed some grievance time and also asked I provided a death certificate. Needless to say, I no longer work for him or at TUM anymore.