Leaving a job but can't find any given clause mentioning notice period on contract

5 posts in this topic

Hello all, Im a freelacer and I've been on board of a project for more than half of the year. Recently I received a job-offer (to be hired) somehwere else, and as a result I need to end my current project.

In the agrrement I signed with my client, it only outlined the duration (which is under a year) and the probation period and not one single line mentioning in case of early termination, what would be the requirement.

Ive read similar topic on Toytown but most of them have something written down actually in the contract.

I read that the statutory German emplyment law indicates a minimum amount of 1 month notice period, would that also apply to my case? Would there be any difference since Im a freelancer?

Many thanks in advance for any thread!

23 minutes ago, Jwu said:

Im a freelacer

I read that the statutory German emplyment law indicates a minimum amount of 1 month notice period, would that also apply to my case? Would there be any difference since Im a freelancer?

If you are a freelancer, employment law does not apply to your contract.

The exact rules that apply depend on the wording of your contract.

8 hours ago, engelchen said:

If you are a freelancer, employment law does not apply to your contract.

The exact rules that apply depend on the wording of your contract.

But if there's not anywhere mentioning early termination does it mean I'm stuck with the job until it end?

thank you!

2 minutes ago, Jwu said:

But if there's not anywhere mentioning early termination does it mean I'm stuck with the job until it end?

Not necessarily. For example, depending on your contract §621 BGB might apply.

I only know that employment law doesn't apply if you are self-employed. However, I really can't tell you whether or not §621 would apply to your contract.

You might need a lawyer.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. : )

52 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Not necessarily. For example, depending on your contract §621 BGB might apply.

I only know that employment law doesn't apply if you are self-employed. However, I really can't tell you whether or not §621 would apply to your contract.

You might need a lawyer.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. : )

Thank you so much!