Here's another question about housing search.

21 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been posted thousands of times, but perhaps someone could help me with my particular search, as I'm going with the following criteria:

- short-term: starting a new job in a new city, and I'd rather see how the Probezeit goes, and thus don't want to sign a 2-year lease.

- furnished: see above; don't want to furnish a new place in case my stay is short-lived.

- single (or zweck-WG): admittedly, I'm not the most conventionally social (I'm working on that) and don't perform well at the infamous WG castings. Hope I can leverage an advantage as an employed person (decent €3000 brutto)

- no distance preference: this is the point I'm hoping can get me somewhere. I'm happy to commute up to 50 min one way into Hamburg proper, even from the neighboring Bundesländer.

That about sums it up. Admittedly it's something I haven't really found a service for, perhaps if someone could point me in a good direction?

Have you decided to take the job in Hamburg? 

- short-term: starting a new job in a new city, and I'd rather see how the Probezeit goes, and thus don't want to sign a 2-year lease.

- furnished: see above; don't want to furnish a new place in case my stay is short-lived.

Short term furnished rentals are not cheap in Germany. Will your future employer help you out?

- single (or zweck-WG): admittedly, I'm not the most conventionally social (I'm working on that) and don't perform well at the infamous WG castings.

This is a problem. A WG is probably your most affordable option.

Hope I can leverage an advantage as an employed person (decent €3000 brutto)

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but for Hamburg that salary is actually below average. And as a recent foreign grad with a new job, you are facing an uphill battle. 

Admittedly it's something I haven't really found a service for, perhaps if someone could point me in a good direction?

Ferienwohnungen? Some places will give you discounts for longer term (i.e. a few months) in the off season.

Furnished apartments tend to be more expensive but sure you can try to negotiate a lower price because you are renting it month to month. However, when you take a furnished apartment month to month you'll have to pay a security deposit and it might be a bitch to get it back. 

I'm currently in my second month of a 5 month project and my boss will not let me take an apartment month to month for that reason, because of bad experience.

Anyway, you can find short term rentals on Airbnb, booking.com or ImmobilienScout24. Check what's out there

I wanted to ask another question regarding housing in Hamburg, but I've already a thread open, so here's my new question, fairly more open-ended:

A friend of mine recommended that I visit the offices of SAGA Hamburg and ask for affordable apartments to rent (as Hauptmieter). I will be making a visit tomorrow, but are there similar trustworthy Wohnungsunternehmen based in HH specializing in more affordable housing (i.e. €600-700 mo.) that I should also make house calls to?

There are a number of wohnung genossenschafts.

You need to apply, be accepted, pay a refundable deposit and wait and wait and wait until they have am available apartment.

Another update and question: I've gotten two offers for a furnished room in 3er WGs in two different Bezirke:

1. Billstedt, €500 warm, 1 year Zwischenmiete

2. Barmbek, €690 warm, would take over as Nach/Hauptmieter (I also would work 11min from here by foot)

Friends say these are too expensive, but I understand furnished apartments are more expensive, and I don't want to get invested with proper rental leases, furnishing, and utilities (still feeling out the city). Could anyone perhaps advise on the prices for these furnished flatshare rooms, and if I should take one or just wait?

Forget about Billstedt - it's always been very dodgy. There's an old saying that a "Billstedter Gedeck" (the typical local set menu) is "Ein Bier, ein Korn, und ein auf die Fresse" (a beer, a shot of rye, and a punch in the face) - similar to the Glasgow kiss.

That may have changed in the 20+ years since I lived in Hamburg, but I doubt it.

If I were you, I'd take the one in Barmbeck, assuming the €690 is all-in (not just warm, but including electricity, phone, Internet, cable TV, etc.).

22 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Forget about Billstedt - it's always been very dodgy. There's an old saying that a "Billstedter Gedeck" (the typical local set menu) is "Ein Bier, ein Korn, und ein auf die Fresse" (a beer, a shot of rye, and a punch in the face) - similar to the Glasgow kiss.

That may have changed in the 20+ years since I lived in Hamburg, but I doubt it.

If I were you, I'd take the one in Barmbeck, assuming the €690 is all-in (not just warm, but including electricity, phone, Internet, cable TV, etc.). not, may

Or to put it differently, it's got character :D That isn't too big of an issue, the WG flatmates themselves are super and I've lived in Oakland, CA, so dodginess isn't new to me. However I don't know if I should risk waiting for something better to come along.

Barmbek is my first choice as well, since it's initially a Untermiete for €500 for two months, with the possibility to become Nachmieter for the aforementioned €690. And yes, that's Warmmiete (all-inclusive). HOWEVER the concern here is that with my netto salary of €1920 it's slightly above the "1/3 of income" rule, and as a fresh grad I feel like I sould be saving up as much as possible.

Cool. If you're good with "character" and don't mind the longer commute, then you could consider Billstedt, too, although you say that one's fixed for a year. You might consider bending the 1/3 rule for a furnished place, because it has the added advantage that you can move at the (relative) drop of a hat if a better place comes along, or if you consider changing cities again.

20 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Cool. If you're good with "character" and don't mind the longer commute, then you could consider Billstedt, too, although you say that one's fixed for a year. You might consider bending the 1/3 rule for a furnished place, because it has the added advantage that you can move at the (relative) drop of a hat if a better place comes along, or if you consider changing cities again.

Thanks for the advice! If you don't mind me asking a bit more, in general how do you feel about those prices in relation to the averages for those districts? Given that both are (well-) furnished apartments (and thus more expensive than unfurnished), and in decent buildings. The friends here (who rent their own places) say they're too expensive, but again these are furnished apartments.

1 hour ago, Pandekage said:

2. Barmbek, €690 warm, would take over as Nach/Hauptmieter (I also would work 11min from here by foot)

I don't know Hamburg, but don't underestimate the value of an 11 min walk to work. I need almost an hour to get to work and sometimes my days are really long. A short commute saves you more than just time.

51 minutes ago, Pandekage said:

Barmbek is my first choice as well, since it's initially a Untermiete for €500 for two months, with the possibility to become Nachmieter for the aforementioned €690. And yes, that's Warmmiete (all-inclusive). HOWEVER the concern here is that with my netto salary of €1920 it's slightly above the "1/3 of income" rule, and as a fresh grad I feel like I sould be saving up as much as possible.

First of all, if you are really concerned about saving money you shouldn't be working in a country that doesn't value your qualifications. 

More importantly, you should make sure that the landlord would be flexible on the 1/3 income rule.

38 minutes ago, Pandekage said:

Thanks for the advice! If you don't mind me asking a bit more, in general how do you feel about those prices in relation to the averages for those districts? Given that both are (well-) furnished apartments (and thus more expensive than unfurnished), and in decent buildings. The friends here (who rent their own places) say they're too expensive, but again these are furnished apartments.

Sorry, I have no idea about current rental prices in Hamburg, aside from the fact that Barmbek is a much more desirable district than Billstedt in general, especially if you have a very short commute (and by foot, no less). As engelchen noted, that's worth quite a bit to your quality of life in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

I don't know Hamburg, but don't underestimate the value of an 11 min walk to work. I need almost an hour to get to work and sometimes my days are really long. A short commute saves you more than just time.

Understood. I've accepted the offer in Barmbek (the closer one) and declined the other.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

First of all, if you are really concerned about saving money you shouldn't be working in a country that doesn't value your qualifications.

Yeah, I was advised (by others in the profession) this was the standard for grads in my profession in DE. Architects generally aren't known for salaries. But I'll treat this year in Hamburg as a work vacation, learn as much as I can, and if I can't negotiate a higher wage after the Probezeit I'm happy to return stateside for my career. (note: not a snide remark, just stating as it is)

Another legal question, if possible: during the Besichtigung in Barmbek the current tenant pointed out several postcards stuck on the wall, mentioning (sheepishly) that she put them there to hide defects in the wall, and because she's moving out soon she didn't feel like repairing them. So, the walls are slightly damaged, but I don't think she's intentionally trying to shift the blame to me (as she pointed them out herself). I don't care about the aesthetics myself, but how should I request the Untermietvertrag be written to acknowledge these as preexisting conditions so that I'm not to be responsible for this?

18 minutes ago, Pandekage said:

I don't care about the aesthetics myself, but how should I request the Untermietvertrag be written to acknowledge these as preexisting conditions so that I'm not to be responsible for this?

Insistence on doing so could endanger your ability to get the contract.

It's easy to fill small holes in walls - you can buy filler as a solid (in tubes) or powder. You then either have to paint afterwards or arrange for your Nachmieter to take it over as is.

3 hours ago, Pandekage said:

The friends here (who rent their own places) say they're too expensive,

Why not ask your friends to help you find a suitable, but less expensive place?  Apparently, they have market insight.

One more legal question:

I asked the main tenant about getting a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung for my sublease, and today she said that afte speaking with the landlord, the landlord would provide me with the Bestätigung, but only after the rental period has begun (and post-contract signing) because he's currently on holiday.

As it seems my scam alarm is permanently set on sensitive, is the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung given from the landlord always, even if you're the subtenant (one removed)? Of can the main tenant fill that out? I swear with my sublease in Berlin the main tenant provided the paper, no signature from the owner. Slight chance it could be a delaying tactic to get the contract signed without ever having a Bestätigung.

Then again I'm not sure if I should be demanding everything be done to the letter, if nothing was meant maliciously, and risk losing the place.

8 minutes ago, Pandekage said:

Then again I'm not sure if I should be demanding everything be done to the letter, if nothing was meant maliciously, and risk losing the place.

Good point. Getting the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung wouldn´t be my main worry. I´d just point out to the main tenant (after signing the contract) that she has to give it to you. If she still refused I´d simply take the lease to the registration authority and tell them your landlord refused to give it to you.

16 minutes ago, jeba said:

Good point. Getting the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung wouldn´t be my main worry. I´d just point out to the main tenant (after signing the contract) that she has to give it to you. If she still refused I´d simply take the lease to the registration authority and tell them your landlord refused to give it to you.

Point taken. Also, to note: I'm still registered at a Berlin address that I'm also subleasing; both subcontracts would end three months from now. Given that I'm technically already registered somewhere for the same time period, is it less of a problem that (in worst case) I'm not registered in Hamburg, even though I'll be starting work here?

18 hours ago, Smaug said:

This could be useful for the bargain-hunter in the Hamburg rental market.

miet_map_hamburg.jpg

These figures are either outdated, or including the rents that long time in the same flat tenants pay, those who rented these flats 5+ years ago. I would add a minimum 200 € to these.

When i rented my current flat 2 years ago (btw it is a Baugenossenschaft, but my Kaltmiete is still higher than these), many people also told me how high my rent is, but that is because they compare with what they pay, and they rented their flats a few years ago, so they don't know today's market value.