is it generally safe to share one's birth date?

67 posts in this topic

off topic but they are pressing me to somehow "secure" my terrace for an indoor only cat.  How the hell does one even do that?

and...I MUST agree that I will seek out the services of an animal psychologist if "necessary".  "no she doesn't have any psychological problems but maybe she will so you have to do this"  

I think this is going in the "nope" direction :(  

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You can use mine if you want.

thanks fruity! 

She already responded that it's fine to wait til we have an adoption in place.  At that juncture I think it's ok but I will still be asking why they need it.   I have doubts this is going anywhere though (see previous)

Well durn. What about the Tierheim or was this through them?

They want you to put a cat net over your terrace so she/he can't escape (or fall in my case). We have one against pigeons. Brilliant.

25 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

off topic but they are pressing me to somehow "secure" my terrace for an indoor only cat.  How the hell does one even do that?

and...I MUST agree that I will seek out the services of an animal psychologist if "necessary".  "no she doesn't have any psychological problems but maybe she will so you have to do this"  

I think this is going in the "nope" direction :(  

I've seen balcony netting for sale on i.e. Amazon and Zooplus.  A few flats near us have them fitted.  You might need some help to install. Re possible psychological problems...was she previously an outdoor cat?  How old etc?  Do you know any history?  

I've heard of some ridiculous prerequisites of adopting when I helped out at our local Tierheim. Such as, a kitten never being able to be an outdoor cat as it won't ever be able to cope without its mother's guidance...any cat with longer fur can never be let outdoors etc etc.  It's all well meaning of course.  I think a lot of the stipulations exist because so many people can't or won't cope with even the smallest problem as they don't realize it takes time and patience to settle and then quickly return the cat to the Tierheim causing the poor thing a great deal of trauma.   Lots of TLC cures and prevents all manner of cat issues.  

As I'm writing this, I have to smile...our neighbor recently adopted an older cat from a rescue place in Sicily. Poor old chap must have been through a lot in his life...one eye, several teeth missing.  Since we fed all of our neighbour's cats when she was away, Benjo's decided he likes to spend lots of time at our house, currently asleep on the terrace sofa.  Maybe he prefers some peace away from kids even if he does get the odd growl and swipe from our 5 cats.

I'm sure this will work out for you Lisa.  All the best.

tierheim is even worse.  this is an org that rescues animals from really bad situations (eg primarily street animals).  I told her I had a terrace on first contact and she said that was fine.  Now it's not, apparently.

I understand, in theory, why they want this, and especially on a balcony, they can fall (and do!  my neighbors have a cat that's fallen 5 stories TWICE - jerks) but you can't net in a terrace without building stuff to attach it to.  Our Hausordnung simply prohibits that.  If she grew up as a street cat that had urges to break out and/or take off, I'd be worried, but I wouldn't want to adopt a cat like that for the very reason that I could not sufficiently protect them. This one has been indoor-only her whole life, which is why she is a (theoretically) suitable choice.  

I've successfully kept indoor cats indoors for 20+ years.  It's really not that hard.  Unless she figures out how to open the terrace door herself, escape is really not a risk.

16 minutes ago, emkay said:

I've seen balcony netting for sale on i.e. Amazon and Zooplus.  A few flats near us have them fitted.  You might need some help to install. Re possible psychological problems...was she previously an outdoor cat?  How old etc?  Do you know any history?  

I've heard of some ridiculous prerequisites of adopting when I helped out at our local Tierheim. Such as, a kitten never being able to be an outdoor cat as it won't ever be able to cope without its mother's guidance...any cat with longer für can never be let outdoors etc etc.  It's all well meaning of course.  Lots of TLC cures and prevents all manner of cat issues.  

As I'm writing this, I have to smile...our neighbor recently adopted an older cat from a rescue place in Sicily. Poor old chap must have been through a lot in his life...one eye, several teeth missing.  Since we fed all of our neighbour's cats when she was away, Benjo's decided he likes to spend lots of time at our house, currently asleep on the terrace sofa.  Maybe he prefers some peace away from kids even if he does get the odd growl and swipe from our 5 cats.

I'm sure this will work out for you Lisa.  All the best.

she is 4 or 5, indoor only.  I am not sure why she is up for adoption but she's a rare case (at least for cats that are listed on most rescue websites) .  She is described as a loner who sleeps a lot :)

I do not believe in having "outdoor" cats as from experience, they live short lives and meet an unpleasant end of some kind (cars, getting trapped in cellars, evil people, other animals).  Plus they kill stuff.  Lots and lots of stuff. Cats have decimated wildlife populations as they are so good at killing stuff.  I sympathize, but I don't think it's responsible to unleash these terminators on the wee wildlife population we do have in the city.  I am happy to simulate kill games with them and they seem perfectly thrilled.  

I find it surprising the tierheim people were advocating for indoor lives for any of them, as the attitude I see most often here is that it's "cruel" to keep cats indoors.  I could not disagree more, but whatever.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think Himself attached our net to eye screws with anchors. When we move, simply pull out, fill and paint over.

you have a *balcony*  I don't!

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Oh. Sorry. I thought a terrace was similar.

no, terraces are ground level, no frame or railings to attach a net to.  Just the outside wall and maybe the bottom of the balcony above (which is not mine obviously)

21 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I find it surprising the tierheim people were advocating for indoor lives for any of them, as the attitude I see most often here is that it's "cruel" to keep cats indoors.

I know three people who wanted a cat from the Tierheim but stopped at some point because the ladies at the Tierheim were complete nutters and demanded obscure changes to the house or flat.

Could be a problem of our local Tierheim, though. However, what you write is exactly what those three people told me about.

13 minutes ago, franklan said:

I know three people who wanted a cat from the Tierheim but stopped at some point because the ladies at the Tierheim were complete nutters and demanded obscure changes to the house or flat.

Could be a problem of our local Tierheim, though. However, what you write is exactly what those three people told me about.

yep. this seems to be the MO more often than not, and I've learned that even in the US things are starting to go this way.  They often drive animals very long distances to "rescue" them, then have excessive requirements for adoptees.  So how does that work out?  It's baffling.

did they end up getting a cat through other means?

There are a collection of cat nets for patios if you google: Katzennetze für Terrassen

You'd probably need such a construction to keep the cat safe, as cats are very quick to disappear through a slightly open door without one even noticing it happening. How often have I searched for a cat and eventually found it inside the closed wardrobe. 

I once saw a simple ground level cat protector that looked very good. A wooden frame  with mesh filler with a door about 3x1x1 meters attached to a back garden door wall. Easier of course if your terrace door slides or opens  It didn't look obvious at all and means you can keep your back door safely open.  

all wonderful ideas but

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

you can't net in a terrace without building stuff to attach it to.  Our Hausordnung simply prohibits that.

58 minutes ago, bramble said:

You'd probably need such a construction to keep the cat safe, as cats are very quick to disappear through a slightly open door without one even noticing it happening.

hardly.  I just keep the door closed :)

as I said, I've been successful keeping indoor cats indoors for about 20 years now *including* in my current apartment.  

Some people round the back of my place have what is basically a huge cage, like a big aviary, that fits their entire terrace door and gives the cat a fairly small area outsde where it can sit. I can see something similar on one of bramble's links.

I had an indoor cat for a while in a flat owned by a housing association. We didn't even have a balcony. They renovated the flats, including our bathroom, and the builders left the window open so the cat jumped out onto the scaffolding. When I realised, he was long gone. The builders' container "offices" were mounted 30 cm above the ground, and when I went down on the ground and peered underneath I saw two terrified yellow eyes staring back.

4 hours ago, anne k said:

Some people round the back of my place have what is basically a huge cage, like a big aviary, that fits their entire terrace door and gives the cat a fairly small area outsde where it can sit. 

We call them 'catios' or cat condos. My niece had a large one constructed so her cats could go outside in safety. They're even available on Amazon.

18 hours ago, lisa13 said:

hardly.  I just keep the door closed :)

as I said, I've been successful keeping indoor cats indoors for about 20 years now *including* in my current apartment.  

I had an indoor cat for 10 years when I lived in an attic flat (no balcony) before I moved here and took him with me. He lived a further happy 8 years as an indoor/outdoor cat. So that I could air the attic flat with the windows wide open I secured them with cat netting as he was keen to roam the roofs. I presume you will have a similar solution for your terrace door for airing?

If the Tierheims are so difficult, maybe getting a cat from private might be an alternative?