Hausratversicherung or Wohngebäudeversicherung?

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find a definitive answer on a question about home insurance. Here's the situation:

I own an apartment in a newly built building in Berlin. There are 22 units in this building, and we own the common areas in common. The building association has insurance for the common areas.

For my individual apartment, I want to insure all contents against damage, theft, fire, etc. And I want to insure my interior walls, doors, appliances, bathroom, kitchen, etc. against fire, water damage, damage by others, etc.

So my question: Do I need Hausratversicherung or Wohngebäudeversicherung? When I read about Wohngebäudeversicherung, it usually seems to be directed at people who own the entire building (like a house), or perhaps part of a duplex. But, there it's not clearly stated that it applies to apartment owners.

For example, I was advised to use Axa, so I went to their online Wohngebäudeversicherung calculator, but the wizard only gave two options for building type: Einfamilienhaus or Zweifamilienhaus. So, it seems apparent that this does not apply to apartment owners.

But, Hausratversicherung appears to only apply to contents (i.e., moveable items), so that does not seem to be enough.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks!

The walls, floors, and ceilings, as well as internal wiring and piping, are covered by the Wohngebäudeversicherung that your building pays for as a community. All these items are counted as "communal property" as defined in the Wohnungseigentumsgesetz. You also have a shared policy for Wohngebäudehaftpflicht.

If you want to insure the contents, you'll need a Hausratsversicherung.

Just now, El Jeffo said:

The walls, floors, and ceilings, as well as internal wiring and piping, are covered by the Wohngebäudeversicherung that your building pays for as a community.

If you want to insure the contents, you'll need a Hausratsversicherung.

Even the non-common walls, etc.? As in the interior walls of my apartment? Also, what about windows and glass doors? Is the glass then also usually covered by the Haus Wohngebäudeversicherung?

What about things that are not "moveable"? E.g., I installed a kitchen -- is it "movable"? Are my granite counter top, cabinets, and appliances insured by Hausratsversicherung?