Transferring unemployment benefits to Denmark

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

After working for 2 years in Germany I am moving to Denmark to find work there. My contract ends at the end of the year and I am moving immediately to Denmark right after. I have seen the required steps to get it done but there is one issue that I don't understand should work: I was told that I am required to first get unemployment benefit for a month in Germany and only then I will be able to transfer it to Denmark. I don't want to stay and work here anymore. Will they force me to take any job during that first 4 weeks in Germany? If I refuse those offers, will they deny my benefits because of that? Is it possible to skip this requirement at all?

This is the only issue I see when wanting to apply for the unemployment benefit transfer and would appreciate any help!

1 minute ago, olgacara said:

I was told that I am required to first get unemployment benefit for a month in Germany and only then I will be able to transfer it to Denmark. I don't want to stay and work here anymore.

You are required to spend at least 1 month in Germany looking for a job before you are entitled to transfer the ALG I benefits. If you leave Germany earlier, you are not eligible to transfer the benefits. 

You can't transfer benefits that you aren't getting yet so you need to apply for benefits while in Germany, get them for a while and then apply for a transfer of benefits before you leave.  After arriving in Denmark you have a week to register for benefits there and then the transfer is complete. You can stay on German benefits in Denmark for up to 3 months.

I don't know what happens if they find you a job while you are waiting for the transfer. If you want to avoid the hassle of waiting before you move, try to arrange a job in Denmark beforehand.