Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

youngtimers, modified ,British MOT

10 posts in this topic

I have an old triumph dolomite sprint 1976. After this length of time many parts have been changed /improved  eg weber carbs, upgraded shock absorbers various engine internals . wildwood brake kit. I have no problem with getting a British MOT.   Would I be able to get a German TÜV?   Or would It just be easier to go back to England get a British one., and come back again.  As many of these parts are quite old I doubt they have any TÜV  markings. I was also looking at a nice GT6  ( 1972) which has had a 3.500cc rover fitted instead of the standard6 . Would this be impossible to register here?

17 minutes ago, Simpsond said:

Or would It just be easier to go back to England get a British one., and come back again.

Hard to say with Brexit coming.

24 minutes ago, Simpsond said:

As many of these parts are quite old I doubt they have any TÜV  markings.

If you can prove that these parts/mods were popular 30years ago, you have chances to get an H-Kennzeichen for it.

A British MOT is only needed for British registered cars.  A German TUV is only needed for German registered cars.

If you are living in Germany, then your car should be German registered and therefore needs German TUV.  So going back to the UK to get MOT will not really gain you anything.

A know several people who run a car here on UK plates, UK insurance and go back to the UK to get a MOT.

It all seems to work just fine, one friend, had an accident on the A9 and the UK insurance did pay out, he got no hassle from the German police. Another friend got caught by the police in a road traffic incidence, got a lot of hassle by the police to re-register their car here, but in the end the police could not force him to do it,

However I heard you must re-register your UK car here within 1 year of living here, but nobody cares

I wpould go and talk to the TUV about how you register and non-standard car here

On 13/07/2019, 20:46:46, yesterday said:

However I heard you must re-register your UK car here within 1 year of living here, but nobody cares

The Finanzamt will care if they find out.  As it effectively means that they are not paying German road tax despite being resident here.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

The Finanzamt will care if they find out.  As it effectively means that they are not paying German road tax despite being resident here.

As I tried to say, its always better to try and follow the rules, sa I almost always do, but - I have known several people who have not and nothing bad has come to them

This is sounds like it may be a nightmare :-) but I a reluctant to part with it after 15 years of usage!  I will have an official word :-( Always risky, the answer is often NO!  I have lived here for a year but the car is still in England so In theory I can use it for a least six months? . The bit about German road tax, if you are paying it in another Eu country would it apply.? Then there is Brexit....BAH!

On 15.7.2019, 09:55:24, yesterday said:

As I tried to say, its always better to try and follow the rules, sa I almost always do, but - I have known several people who have not and nothing bad has come to them

All in good time.

Things may also be much more susceptible after (a no deal) Brexit.