Affordable Lawyer to help w/ Customer Dispute

9 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I'm having a dispute w/ a big German company who is acting in bad faith regarding a contract, and I need some help. I'm looking for a lawyer that won't cost too much to write a letter, or the Verbraucherzentrale (but I feel my German is not good enough, and also not sure which option is better? What can they actually do?).

thanks.

Most lawyers charge a flat consultation fee but this does not include writing a letter on your behalf. I think that it's 120-250 Euros but I might be wrong. To write a letter on your behalf, they will have to bill you according to what the dispute is worth. You can use this tool to find out how much https://anwaltverein.de/de/service/prozesskostenrechner

Put in the claim amount under "Streitwert" and deselect everything except "Außergerichtliche Vertretung" (out of court representation) and you will get the number.

This is just based on my experience and I am no legal expert. I have no experience with the Verbraucherzentrale. I imagine they might investigate but not sure if they will claim your money back for you.

thanks. and the verbraucherzentrale? what can they actually do? is it worth going through them first? how do I find a good lawyer that does this?

I can't comment about the Verbraucherzentrale since I have had no experience there. Maybe someone here that has, will come along soon. With regards to finding a lawyer, it depends on what type of claim you have. You could try googling "Anwalt Verbraucherrecht Berlin" and make some calls. Also you might think you have a good case against the company but that not always necessarily be true. And you have to remember that, a lawyer gets paid either way, whether he wins your case or not. If you could share some more details of your story, people here might be able to give some inputs.

Edit : Like if your dispute is with Vodafone or O2, you can be sure they act in bad faith all the time. But unfortunately you will have a tough time making them pay for anything since most likely they covered their legal obligations to the letter.

The advantage of the Verbraucherzentrale is that they're cheap (I think a consultation is €25-€35) and they're taken seriously by the big companies.

To give you proper advice, @rdbot, it would help if you could at least outline what's at stake (that is, a ballpark figure of the money involved and perhaps the subject of the contract). As generalmartok mentioned, if it's one of the telcos, it's not really worth it to challenge them unless there's a biggish sum involved. Otherwise you'll just be throwing good money after bad.

A fitness company, whose policy states that cancellation of contract is possible with a doctors letter, has made me submit 5 letters, each time moving the goalposts and saying it's not sufficient (even though I gave them EXACTLY what they asked for each time). It's clear they are just messing w/ me, hoping I guess I won't take it further. Very frustrating and unprofessional. 

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like the Verbraucherzentrale should be the first thing to try. If they don't make any progress, you can always try a lawyer later on.

In my experience, they'll often cave in the face of a stern letter from the Verbraucherzentrale.

8 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like the Verbraucherzentrale should be the first thing to try. If they don't make any progress, you can always try a lawyer later on.

In my experience, they'll often cave in the face of a stern letter from the Verbraucherzentrale.

thanks a lot. I will try. any chance they have English speakers there? 

Shouldn't be a problem in Berlin. You can ask when you make the appointment. If they can't cater to you in English, do you have a friend you can bring along to translate?