Job ending and looking for advice

9 posts in this topic

So I've been in germany now for three years. I've worked full time at two different international schools, one for one year and the other for two years. Quite soon my contract will finish and i have been unsuccessful at getting another. I have three questions:

1. I have had a residence card/sticker that was dependent on my job. Will i be allowed to stay for a longer period whilst i look for another job?
2. I have applied for ALG1 (online), am i likely to get it? i was hoping to use the time on ALG1 to boost my german language skills by completing intensive courses, will that be allowed or dare i say it paid for?

3. I do have a joint bachelor degree in Education and Mathematical Sciences from Australia and am a registered fully qualified teacher there, what is the anerkennung process like? and am i likely to be able to complete it without and more study or observations?

My girlfriend is a teacher here, having finished her referendariat and nearly her finished herprobezeit, so i dont really want to be forced back out of the country.

What are my options?

14 minutes ago, tanderson said:

3. I do have a joint bachelor degree in Education and Mathematical Sciences from Australia and am a registered fully qualified teacher there, what is the anerkennung process like? and am i likely to be able to complete it without and more study or observations?

14 minutes ago, tanderson said:

What are my options?

It really depends. How well do you already speak German? How many months (or years) would you require to be able to teach in German?

58 minutes ago, engelchen said:

It really depends. How well do you already speak German? How many months (or years) would you require to be able to teach in German?

My German is quite spotty, i have not been doing any formal testing or classes. But i had heard that they will do anerkennung with a B2 rather than a C2 which i think will take me many years

47 minutes ago, tanderson said:

My German is quite spotty, i have not been doing any formal testing or classes. But i had heard that they will do anerkennung with a B2 rather than a C2 which i think will take me many years

Do you seriously think that you could effectively teach math in German with only B2!?!?! I don't know exactly what they require in NRW, but here in Berlin you need C2 to teach. If you spoke German you'd also be able to easily find a job here.

Since Education is Ländersache you need to contact the authorities in NRW to find find out what you need to do and most importantly the minimum language requirements:

https://www.schulministerium.nrw.de/docs/bp/Lehrer/Lehrkraft-werden/Anerkennungsverfahren/Lehramtaemter/index.html

2 hours ago, tanderson said:

My girlfriend is a teacher here, having finished her referendariat and nearly her finished herprobezeit, so i dont really want to be forced back out of the country.

Is your girlfriend willing to move?

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Do you seriously think that you could effectively teach math in German with only B2!?!?! I don't know exactly what they require in NRW, but here in Berlin you need C2 to teach. If you spoke German you'd also be able to easily find a job here.

Since Education is Ländersache you need to contact the authorities in NRW to find find out what you need to do and most importantly the minimum language requirements:

https://www.schulministerium.nrw.de/docs/bp/Lehrer/Lehrkraft-werden/Anerkennungsverfahren/Lehramtaemter/index.html

My husband is a teacher in Berlin, and at least two of his colleagues from Spain do NOT speak German at a C2 level. They’re a C1 at best. So perhaps the school was just so desperate, they turned a blind eye?

16 hours ago, engelchen said:

oh god no, i don't expect to find a job at a regular school with anything less than a C1. As a teacher i do very much understand the importance of both parties understanding each other implicitly.

I am more trying to get the ball rolling on the process and maybe in the meantime try and find a school that teaches Maths in the International Baccalaureate curriculum for Yr 11 and 12, this course is only taught in english, french or spanish. 

16 hours ago, engelchen said:

Maybe if things got desperate, but as a civil servant she is made for life. So moving just for my career would be quite selfish

14 hours ago, Santitas said:

They’re a C1 at best. So perhaps the school was just so desperate, they turned a blind eye?

I have heard examples like this countless times, this is why i need my qualifications recognised and beef up my conversational german

15 hours ago, Santitas said:

My husband is a teacher in Berlin, and at least two of his colleagues from Spain do NOT speak German at a C2 level. They’re a C1 at best. So perhaps the school was just so desperate, they turned a blind eye?

What are they teaching? Are they teaching in German? Or are they teaching in Spanish at an Europa Schule?

1 hour ago, tanderson said:

Maybe if things got desperate, but as a civil servant she is made for life. So moving just for my career would be quite selfish

It is actually possible to change Länder as a Beamtin, however, it not always easy. Considering the shortage of teachers it would be possible for her to find a new position in another Land, however, there is the issue of NRW giving her up.

Then now is probably the time to have the conversation of whether or not you two are planning on making a long-term commitment to one another. Getting married would at least solve your residence permit issue.

I have heard examples like this countless times, this is why i need my qualifications recognised and beef up my conversational german

You should contact the authorities in NRW (see the link above).

One is teaching Spanish and History and the other Spanish and something else. This is at a regular ISS in Berlin.

Maybe if things got desperate, but as a civil servant she is made for life.

Depends on how you look at things. Job security? Financially? Many teachers suffer from burn-out since they get more and more tasks to do in the same time frame w/o getting compensated for that. Personally, I wouldn't want to trade. In the corporate world you can also climb the career ladder much faster.