Problem with sublet

12 posts in this topic

Hi all, I’m hoping someone here will have some advice. We recently moved into an apartment with our 3-year old. The lease is a sublet. We never noticed anything while viewing the apartment but since sleeping here for the last few days we have noticed a persistent strong smell of smoke that is not coming from inside the apartment. There is a bar downstairs where smoking is allowed inside. We think the smell is coming up through the floorboards. It’s worse in the two bedrooms. Does anyone have any advice about what to do? Is this something the renters were obliged to warn us about? Is the bar downstairs breaking the law by having inadequate smoke ventilation? Should we just cancel the contract and move out? We are naturally very concerned about our health and sleeping with smoke is not an option. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your profile states that you live in Düsseldorf. Smoking in bars/restaurants etc. is completely banned in NRW.

Something doesn't add up here.

4 minutes ago, franklan said:

Your profile states that you live in Düsseldorf. Smoking in bars/restaurants etc. is completely banned in NRW.

Something doesn't add up here.

Im in Berlin, not Dusseldorf. I don’t know why it says that. Maybe I set it up wrong many years ago.

10 minutes ago, ebee said:

Changed now, if that makes a difference.

Try to ignore the idiots on here, some people just have too much time on their hands.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. You can try:

- Speaking to your Landlord to see if there is anything they can do regarding additional protection against the smoke creeping through the floorboards

- Checking with your neighbours to see if they have similar issues and how they have dealt with it.

- Maybe speaking to the bar owner but I don't think there are any specific laws regarding ventilation and how the smoke is being funnelled out of the bar

The best option is going to be to speak to the neighbours. If several of you have the same issue then it may be possible to speak to the bar owner or get the landlords to do something about the situation. There was a similar situation reported in the paper here in Cologne with a series of kebab shops along a road that had smoke coming from them and the people in the flats above weren't too happy about it. As it affected quite a few people the kebab shop owners put in some additional ventilation to stop as much of the smoke as possible to rising into the flats.

30 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

Try to ignore the idiots on here, some people just have too much time on their hands.

Before you call others posters "idiots"... Think twice before YOU hit the "submit reply" button..

No matter what any pub/bar/restaurant does, the stench of tabacco smoke will have permiated every single piece of wooden construction in  the building... 

Its harder to treat than the roof lining bof a smokers car...  

@ebee Can you tell us a bit about the flooring in the bedrooms. Maybe we can hivemind a solution that way. Is it wood or laminate or carpet?

ETA: Maybe I can't get back here today so I'll just tell you what I'm thinking.

If it's carpet, there's no hope. You'd have to take it up to seal the floor.

If it's wood or laminate, you can try some sealant products.

For wood, get this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00176T5D4?ref_=pe_527950_33920250

They shipped it to DE for me before.

If it's laminate, get Poli-boy laminate renovierer.

In both cases, clean the floors with a vinegar and water mixture as strong as you can stomach (please, less for laminate). Then apply the product per instructions. Both should seal any gaps.

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

@ebee Can you tell us a bit about the flooring in the bedrooms. Maybe we can hivemind a solution that way. Is it wood or laminate or carpet?

It’s old (maybe original), wooden flooring.

@ebee See above. I changed it. Very busy this next few weeks.

You could try just washing with vinegar and then waxing it really well. It might take eight hours, but it would likely work.