Employment: Suggesting salary increase after an offer/contract?

3 posts in this topic

As a recent M.Sc. grad from a German uni I've been applying to companies and going to job interviews, but due to some bad advice I severely under-aimed in terms of salary expectations. As such, I received a corresponding offer at a company with a salary of €2800 brutto, which I accepted (but not yet signed the contract for), and then just now I came across this article:

https://www.unicum.de/de/aktuelles/news/10-berufe-fuer-die-sich-studieren-nicht-lohnt

which suggests a Einsteigergehalt of €3300-3600 brutto (architecture). And mind you, this office is in Hamburg, the 2nd most expensive city. And I'm technically not even a fresh grad, having about 1.5 years of experience back in the US (but perhaps isn't really transferable here)

As I've already said yes to the offer (given them a copy of my visa during second interview, but not yet signed the contract, which they just sent to me via post to sign), is it ethical to request a higher salary at this point, or perhaps request a clause in the contract prompting a salary increase after the Probezeit? I feel like they already know they're lowballing me, so I feel it isn't too bad. But still.

To add, I'm not too invested in this offer (although the office is nice). My reason for moving to DE was for a graduate degree, and now that's achieved I'm perfectly okay with moving back stateside and progressing professionally there - continuing to work in DE is a plus, but obviously much rather not as a penny-pinching student.

Hmm, according to your link from 2017 the starting salary for architecture is €33,226 per annum, so almost €2,800 per month. You already said yes to that, but the clause after the trial period is an option.

Wow, I would have thought that starting salary for an architect with a masters is more like 50k-60k. They're offering basically 16€/hour which is not all that much more than the 12€ you'd get working at Aldi... doesn't make sense to me. Find some reliable salary data (like from a government labor department) and use it as a basis for negotiation. If you want to stay in Germany then accept whatever you are able to negotiate and then look for a new position while working. Or suck it up for a couple years to get experience and then make the jump.