Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Freak accidents

32 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, slammer said:

I had one freak accident, well let´s call it a freakishly idiotic accident, where I was trying to open a bottle with a plastic screw cap with a pairing knife, you know those little buggers with a two inch blade that chefs use to treat and dress veggies. I was holding the bottle and worming this little very pointy and very sharp knife under the plastic band that keeps the cap in place. My brain was screaming for me to stop and that if I slipped I would ram that damn knife through my finger. I chose to ignore my brain and kept on worming untill I slipped and rammed that damned knife to the hilt through my finger.

That was the idiot part, the freak came when I swooned (It´t not that I can´t see blood, I just can´t see my own) and hit the table just on the right spot to catapult what was on the table onto the stove where I had been cooking on a gas flame. Luckily nothing caught fire.

You should use an iPhone to open bottles, just like this chap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36kDXkyREWM

On 10.7.2019, 20:46:34, AlexTr said:

That must've been a helluva long hair.

Aye... Those were the days...

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I guess this was a freak accident, but more so because I was not killed and still have both legs:

June 1997.  driving pre-dawn from santa cruz to san jose airport so my boyfriend could catch an early flight to visit his family, and traveling via the infamous highway 17 (infamous as it's over the top for accident fatality statistics).  sprinkling rain, which in CA often creates serious issues as rain is infrequent outside of the winter months, and this allows a nice layer of oily substances to build up on the road. With the drizzle on top it is akin to an ice slick.

but no problem for us - we knew that, driving slow and steady, no worries.  Until we round one of the many blind curves and see a little honda that had apparently spun out and was sideways in the road, blocking the right lane completely.  And the driver is LEANING UP AGAINST THE CAR, as if he were in a parking lot as opposed to standing at death's door.  

we of course stopped to assist and get him out of the road.  boyfriend got out of the car, and I assumed he was going to bring the dude back to our car so we could get him out of harm's way then drive to an emergency phone to call CHP asap.  But noooooooo.  Someone else had stopped behind the honda, put out some flares, and the three of them were trying to push the car (where to?).  which was insane as the only direction to push the car was into the passing lane, thereby blocking the WHOLE road on a blind turn.  Insanity!  

so I got out to tell them to stop it and convinced them we should just get the hell out of there.  On my way back to our car I heard the most thunderous crash behind me.  I started running away as I heard more crashes and screeches and lord knows what is happening but it's bad - really bad - and it just keeps going.  But this is highway 17 so you can't run OFF the road to get away - it's barricaded on both sides by concrete jersey rails, and there are a random series of steep drop-offs on the other side of the rails, and it's dark, so jumping over was not a great option.   So I was just kinda running...away, down the road.  Then I paused and was about to turn around to see what was what when I was hit, left leg pinned against the jersey rail and I was dragged a ways.  

Which was actually not so bad.  I was not knocked down (bless) and after the projectile released me I was still standing.  On my right leg which was thankfully fit as a fiddle.  In those split moments time seems to slow down and senses become bizarrely sharp, and I noticed the leg that had been pinned felt sort of dead/numb and it didn't hurt, at all...not at ALL.  I was terrified to even look down as I was afraid there was no leg left to hurt!  I finally looked and just started yelling.  My pants were shredded, my knee was bloody (did I even have a kneecap anymore?), my ankle and foot were (by brief visual inspection) completely mangled.  But everything was still there (give or take).  Stroke of luck number one.

After a bit of a fiasco getting to the hospital, I was finally evaluated.  It looked really bad, as my ankle and part of my foot were fully flayed.  Even so, not a lot of blood, and it was strangely painless, presumably because the nerves were so damaged they just didn't work.  stroke of luck two: x-rays showed hairline fractures in my ankle and foot but nothing out of place. stroke three: they checked the tendons in my foot and ankle and they were all intact.  The doctor who did this was so funny.  She would identify a tendon then say something like "this goes to your little toe" tug tug "oh look!  there it goes! that's great!" and indeed, my little toe lifted up and down as she tugged on the tendon. I had the distinct impression she was more accustomed to working with children - she was so cute.  stroke four:  knee was roughed up but not functionally damaged in any way.  So it went from possible amputation of the foot to "wow, you are really lucky.  this is nothing, you'll be fine"

I was surprised when that hospital just dressed the wound, told me to keep the bandages moist with saline to save my tendons, put me in a strap on cast to keep my ankle stable and sent me home with advice to follow up with a doctor closer to home next day.  WHY?  Because I didn't have health insurance and I had to be treated in my county of residence to qualify for emergency state-funded medical cover.  Can you imagine?  But they actually did me a huge favor as two skin grafts later, the bills totaled 30+k when all was said and done.  And the state covered it as promised (and was only charged 7k, to boot. that is US healthcare, where cost depends on who's paying.  insurance would have paid 12k but I would have had to pay 30+.  incomprehensible.)

Turned out the honda had been T-boned by a big-assed dually pickup traveling at full speed, and it ping-ponged back and forth between the jersey rails whence it hit me.  Ah yes, and the dually driver was very drunk, which is why there were no screeching brakes before the initial crash...and why he fled the scene.  He was only caught because a cop randomly saw him driving with a flat tire and missing fender - not quite normal ;) 

Anyway, everything about that accident was "freak".  From the initial circumstances to treatment to final physical result to car insurance claim...it was a year of "whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!".. "nooooooooooo..."..."REALLY?!?!" etc.

I do have an ugly scar on my ankle, and when people occasionally comment on it I just say "you should have seen it when it was FRESH!"  

it's a battle scar.  I kinda like it, actually. 

eta:  jersey rails (I've never heard them called "barriers" or "walls" - meh) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_barrier

Ho...ley crap, now THAT is a story.

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I guess this was a freak accident, but more so because I was not killed and still have both legs:

June 1997.  driving pre-dawn from santa cruz to san jose airport so my boyfriend could catch an early flight to visit his family, and traveling via the infamous highway 17 (infamous as it's over the top for accident fatality statistics).  sprinkling rain, which in CA often creates serious issues as rain is infrequent outside of the winter months, and this allows a nice layer of oily substances to build up on the road. With the drizzle on top it is akin to an ice slick.

but no problem for us - we knew that, driving slow and steady, no worries.  Until we round one of the many blind curves and see a little honda that had apparently spun out and was sideways in the road, blocking the right lane completely.  And the driver is LEANING UP AGAINST THE CAR, as if he were in a parking lot as opposed to standing at death's door.  

we of course stopped to assist and get him out of the road.  boyfriend got out of the car, and I assumed he was going to bring the dude back to our car so we could get him out of harm's way then drive to an emergency phone to call CHP asap.  But noooooooo.  Someone else had stopped behind the honda, put out some flares, and the three of them were trying to push the car (where to?).  which was insane as the only direction to push the car was into the passing lane, thereby blocking the WHOLE road on a blind turn.  Insanity!  

so I got out to tell them to stop it and convinced them we should just get the hell out of there.  On my way back to our car I heard the most thunderous crash behind me.  I started running away as I heard more crashes and screeches and lord knows what is happening but it's bad - really bad - and it just keeps going.  But this is highway 17 so you can't run OFF the road to get away - it's barricaded on both sides by concrete jersey rails, and there are a random series of steep drop-offs on the other side of the rails, and it's dark, so jumping over was not a great option.   So I was just kinda running...away, down the road.  Then I paused and was about to turn around to see what was what when I was hit, left leg pinned against the jersey rail and I was dragged a ways.  

Which was actually not so bad.  I was not knocked down (bless) and after the projectile released me I was still standing.  On my right leg which was thankfully fit as a fiddle.  In those split moments time seems to slow down and senses become bizarrely sharp, and I noticed the leg that had been pinned felt sort of dead/numb and it didn't hurt, at all...not at ALL.  I was terrified to even look down as I was afraid there was no leg left to hurt!  I finally looked and just started yelling.  My pants were shredded, my knee was bloody (did I even have a kneecap anymore?), my ankle and foot were (by brief visual inspection) completely mangled.  But everything was still there (give or take).  Stroke of luck number one.

After a bit of a fiasco getting to the hospital, I was finally evaluated.  It looked really bad, as my ankle and part of my foot were fully flayed.  Even so, not a lot of blood, and it was strangely painless, presumably because the nerves were so damaged they just didn't work.  stroke of luck two: x-rays showed hairline fractures in my ankle and foot but nothing out of place. stroke three: they checked the tendons in my foot and ankle and they were all intact.  The doctor who did this was so funny.  She would identify a tendon then say something like "this goes to your little toe" tug tug "oh look!  there it goes! that's great!" and indeed, my little toe lifted up and down as she tugged on the tendon. I had the distinct impression she was more accustomed to working with children - she was so cute.  stroke four:  knee was roughed up but not functionally damaged in any way.  So it went from possible amputation of the foot to "wow, you are really lucky.  this is nothing, you'll be fine"

I was surprised when that hospital just dressed the wound, told me to keep the bandages moist with saline to save my tendons, put me in a strap on cast to keep my ankle stable and sent me home with advice to follow up with a doctor closer to home next day.  WHY?  Because I didn't have health insurance and I had to be treated in my county of residence to qualify for emergency state-funded medical cover.  Can you imagine?  But they actually did me a huge favor as two skin grafts later, the bills totaled 30+k when all was said and done.  And the state covered it as promised (and was only charged 7k, to boot. that is US healthcare, where cost depends on who's paying.  insurance would have paid 12k but I would have had to pay 30+.  incomprehensible.)

Turned out the honda had been T-boned by a big-assed dually pickup traveling at full speed, and it ping-ponged back and forth between the jersey rails whence it hit me.  Ah yes, and the dually driver was very drunk, which is why there were no screeching brakes before the initial crash...and why he fled the scene.  He was only caught because a cop randomly saw him driving with a flat tire and missing fender - not quite normal ;) 

Anyway, everything about that accident was "freak".  From the initial circumstances to treatment to final physical result to car insurance claim...it was a year of "whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!".. "nooooooooooo..."..."REALLY?!?!" etc.

I do have an ugly scar on my ankle, and when people occasionally comment on it I just say "you should have seen it when it was FRESH!"  

eta:  jersey rails (I've never heard them called "barriers" or "walls" - meh) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_barrier

Bloody hell, lisa. Bloody hell. What a nightmare and so glad you survived it. Keep on truckin´, babe.

I have not had one but I witnessed one where someone was presumably killed. I was deployed to Iraq in 2009. During a guard shift at night at the main gate to our small base, an Iraqi man came up to us and wanted to inform us he would be working on the power pole across the street and to please not open fire on him as he was not doing anything illegal and only wanted to syphon power from the pole (this was relayed through a translator. Its common for the locals to tap into the powerlines to power their homes). He had a large ladder and a friend with him. He put the ladder up to the pole and climbed up to the transformer and started his work. I could hardly see him due to it being dark. About a minute later, there was a huge blue flash that lit everything up and the craziest electricity/ lazer noise ive ever heard. The man fell from the pole and his buddy started screaming. He quickly loaded him into the car they drove up in and took off down the road. We never heard what happened to him but due to the remote location I presume he died. 

22 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I take it you missed the flight!

4 hours ago, Petro6golf said:

I have not had one but I witnessed one where someone was presumably killed. I was deployed to Iraq in 2009. During a guard shift at night at the main gate to our small base, an Iraqi man came up to us and wanted to inform us he would be working on the power pole across the street and to please not open fire on him as he was not doing anything illegal and only wanted to syphon power from the pole (this was relayed through a translator. Its common for the locals to tap into the powerlines to power their homes). He had a large ladder and a friend with him. He put the ladder up to the pole and climbed up to the transformer and started his work. I could hardly see him due to it being dark. About a minute later, there was a huge blue flash that lit everything up and the craziest electricity/ lazer noise ive ever heard. The man fell from the pole and his buddy started screaming. He quickly loaded him into the car they drove up in and took off down the road. We never heard what happened to him but due to the remote location I presume he died. 

As tragic as that is I would file it under "Darwin"

8 hours ago, lisa13 said:

@McDee yes, sure, which was especially unfortunate as my man missed his brother's graduation festivities because of it :(

In the greater scheme of things, while that was a disappointment for the family, it's of far less import than the limb you might miss for the rest of your life! :) 

On 7/14/2019, 6:22:27, slammer said:

As tragic as that is I would file it under "Darwin"

Oh yeah, no doubt. In 2006 in Iraq we were in a really bad area. Sometimes we would find the left overs of insurgents who accidentally set off the IED they were burying in the road. The wild dogs would take care of the rest. Play stupid games...

I was a stupid teenager and was trying to do a swan dive off the low springboard.  I didn't have enough arc and halfway through and realized I was on a trajectory to do a painful belly flop, so I went into cannonball position.  My shins hit the water flat and punched my knees into my face, breaking my nose. 

Derp.