Homemade Pretzels

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have a tried and true homemade pretzel recipe? I'm interested in making some that don't turn out hard as a rock. Also, I have no stand mixer. 

I used to buy the frozen ones from supermarkets you simply have to put into the oven. Not exactly the same as those from a good bakery but still edible (and a lot cheaper).

9 hours ago, coconuts said:

Does anyone here have a tried and true homemade pretzel recipe? I'm interested in making some that don't turn out hard as a rock. Also, I have no stand mixer. 

You need one then...

This recipe is kick ass.

Make sure that all the ingredients have the same temperature while handling (#1 rule with yeast).

Don't try this at home.

Traditional Bavarian pretzels are dipped in a lye solution before they are baked. Lye, also known as sodium hydroxide, is essentially the same stuff that's used to make soap and clean drains. It can even dissolve glass.

You don't need Lye. You can also dip them in a baking soda Solution, usually 20gr / Ltr for a few seconds .

Baking Soda = Natron in Germany

Thanks for the replies, all. I think I will go with the suggestion to buy them from the freezer section. I didn't know so much went into these pretzels. 

I suggest you Google "Great British Baking Show" and key word " Pretzel/ Brezeln", and watch them make a pigs blanket out of the recipe!:P

Any soft yeast dough will be sufficient if you want a simple pretzel.  Roll into 5x1 inch cylinders and let rise until doubled in size.  Spread with a light egg wash (one egg mixed with an equal amount of water, then sprinkle with coarse salt (and caraway seeds).  Bake until light brown.  These aren't real Brezn, unless you like soft pretzels.  But they're tasty, especially with a little butter.

I don't advocate buying any american made "brezeln" - they are really not the same.  those are the things americans eat with mustard - all squishy with no tooth whatsoever.  not bad in and of themselves but not the real deal.  A good bagel has more in common with a breze than those things do.

I used to make them all the time when I lived in Boston.  You absolutely don't need a stand mixer (though it's definitely handy if you have one) and they come out fine using baking soda in the boiling water instead of lye.  Make a couple of dozen, par-bake them and throw them in the freezer.  then take them out and bake off as needed.  

there's a whole slew of recipes here:  https://www.chefkoch.de/rs/s0/brezeln+mit+natron/Rezepte.html but you might have to find a conversion from fresh yeast to dry since fresh is much harder to find in the US (or at least it was when I still lived there)

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I don't advocate buying any american made "brezeln" - they are really not the same.  those are the things americans eat with mustard - all squishy with no tooth whatsoever.  not bad in and of themselves but not the real deal.  A good bagel has more in common with a breze than those things do.

I used to make them all the time when I lived in Boston.  You absolutely don't need a stand mixer (though it's definitely handy if you have one) and they come out fine using baking soda in the boiling water instead of lye.  Make a couple of dozen, par-bake them and throw them in the freezer.  then take them out and bake off as needed.  

there's a whole slew of recipes here:  https://www.chefkoch.de/rs/s0/brezeln+mit+natron/Rezepte.html but you might have to find a conversion from fresh yeast to dry since fresh is much harder to find in the US (or at least it was when I still lived there)

Hey! Don’t insult my NYC pretzel 😜

I will check out that link. The discussion about the lye really discouraged me but I'm thinking that baking soda in boiling water is very doable. Fresh yeast? Never heard of it! 

5 hours ago, lisa13 said:

yeah it's really fine to use baking soda.  maybe not 100% authentic but it gets the job done without risk :)

11 hours ago, Santitas said:

Hey! Don’t insult my NYC pretzel 😜

no!  like I said, they are pretty good for what they are - I grew up eating them too, with mustard.  I have fond memories of street pretzels, no doubt!

but the only thing they have in common with the German style is the shape :)