Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What it takes in terms of experience & skills to start as a freelance IT Consultant/Software Developer in Munich/Bayern

3 posts in this topic

There is not a recipe or a set skills list for one to check every item on the list and say: Now I'm ready! to start as a freelance consultant / software developer. But, there have to be people who have worked with or even hired freelancers within their (own) company and might have some useful insight.

One thing is for sure, it would be pretty difficult to land that first freelance contract. On the other side, does not everyone start just like that and somehow manage to get that first, then second, then...

I've been thinking about this for quite a long time. Even before I came here and started working as a soft dev I knew one day I will want to try it (in my 20es I worked as a front-dev through freelance web platforms, namely oDesk, now Upwork) and I already know some of the "pros" and "cons" of it.

I am not very experienced, but am still wondering what it would take in terms of skills and experience for someone to start - generally speaking.

22 hours ago, java10 said:

I am not very experienced

When we hire contractors, experience is exactly what we are looking for.  We don't hire contractors and expect to train them...that's what schools are for.

Get experience and a reputation.  The best contractors have both.

Normally, you start as an employee where you gain the necessary experience and skill set and where you're still allowed to make some mistakes. After, let's say, 5-6 years, you could become a freelancer, but if you are not an entrepreneur it will be difficult to land jobs.