Is it possible to sue DHL for their terrible customer service?

21 posts in this topic

DHL lost a 100+ EUR air purifier that I sold through eBay...the package is not even traceable anymore on their website since a few days. Before it would show that it was stuck in Augsburg, now the system can't even find a package with that number...

I've made 2 Nachforschungsauftrag (in German...because a global company like DHL is too incompetent to provide an English-speaking customer service), but nobody has ever contacted me.

This is just the last of many failures I've witnessed by this incompetent company over the years. Obviously I won't use them EVER again, but is there anything from a legal point of view that can be done against them?

How about the fact that a few years ago they supposedly delivered over €1000 of whisky to me, supposedly signed for by me, but which was never traced and supposedly my signature was nothing like it should be and the name of the signatory or anything like it doesn't live anywhere in the town where it was supposedly delivered and received.

Someone (from DHL?) had a nice Christmas party and it certainly wasn't me.

Because it was (supposedly) signed for and received I got no recompense.

Edit: Sadly there aren't too many other choices and the ones that exist are in my opinion much worse.

1 hour ago, UpToWick said:

DHL lost a 100+ EUR air purifier that I sold through eBay...the package is not even traceable anymore on their website since a few days. Before it would show that it was stuck in Augsburg, now the system can't even find a package with that number...

I've made 2 Nachforschungsauftrag (in German...because a global company like DHL is too incompetent to provide an English-speaking customer service), but nobody has ever contacted me.

This is just the last of many failures I've witnessed by this incompetent company over the years. Obviously I won't use them EVER again, but is there anything from a legal point of view that can be done against them?

Was it sent with insurance? I sent around 2 packages without insurance and they were lost. I was told if it was päckchen, then it’s gone and there is no way I can be compensated for it. They are also rude in acknowledging customers’ concerns. I have always sent with insurance since then, no matter how little the package is. 

26 minutes ago, thegreatdivide said:

Was it sent with insurance? I sent around 2 packages without insurance and they were lost. I was told if it was päckchen, then it’s gone and there is no way I can be compensated for it. They are also rude in acknowledging customers’ concerns. I have always sent with insurance since then, no matter how little the package is. 

No insurance, but it was a Paket, 10 Kg, so I should get compensated up to 2500 EUR if I'm not wrong. It's very annoying to waste time with their non-existent customer service, which doesn't reply to emails. I won't use them ever again.

I'm thinking of looking for the contacts of some SVP/manager of Customer Service, maybe on LinkedIn, and politely tell him how crap his/her company is. In the past this approach has worked with another company to get something fixed, when O2 kept billing me even after I cancelled my contract with them, and their customer service was ignoring my messages.

5 hours ago, UpToWick said:

I'm thinking of looking for the contacts of some SVP/manager of Customer Service, maybe on LinkedIn, and politely tell him how crap his/her company is...

If you want to follow this route, then a nicely worded letter to the CEO of the company/division is what you should do. Go straight to the top, be polite, don't tell them that they are crap as you still want their money! And don't tell them that you will never use them again, because otherwise you give them no incentive to help you.  But complain firmly, keep to the facts and no emotions, and get straight to the point, and tell them what you expect as a resolution and in what time frame.

If this does not work, (or you don't go the letter route) then you should get a lawyer to write a letter to them basically stating the same but in legal terms.

I assume that you have already looked up and followed their official claims procedure which will probably mean waiting many weeks for anything to see any progress.

It could still turn up.  I have had problems with the tracking system which were resolved.   Paket price includes insurance up to 500 Euro. 

11 hours ago, UpToWick said:

No insurance, but it was a Paket, 10 Kg, so I should get compensated up to 2500 EUR if I'm not wrong. It's very annoying to waste time with their non-existent customer service, which doesn't reply to emails. I won't use them ever again.

I'm thinking of looking for the contacts of some SVP/manager of Customer Service, maybe on LinkedIn, and politely tell him how crap his/her company is. In the past this approach has worked with another company to get something fixed, when O2 kept billing me even after I cancelled my contract with them, and their customer service was ignoring my messages.

That would have been automatically with insurance. Tag them in twitter. I did it before. They usually reply. And email them as well in a nicely worded manner as what @dj_jay_smith said. If you call their customer service, you’d mostly get rude representatives who hung up when asked to have a manager on the phone. There seems to be a lot of these kinds of people in Germany to be honest. Over the phone, in grocery stores, front desk of clinics, etc. It’s like their parents never taught them to be courteous in general. Normally, the dead end for complaints is the CEO, l but here, you’d be lucky to even speak to an empathetic chef.  

Sometimes you can't avoid it but for the last few years I've been paying the higher price and shopping at places where you walk in, maybe talk to someone about the product, decide what you want, pay for it, and walk out.  At least I know if it goes missing it's because I lost it, and I don't have to stand in line that runs out the door to pick up my package at an inconveniently located central post office depot . 

On 04/07/2019, 23:55:39, thegreatdivide said:

The problem has been sorted. Good suggestion about Twitter...but I won't use them ever again anyway.

DHL doesn't have an email you can complain to. I really think for such a global big company they have a crap customer service. There is massive business opportunity in Germany for a delivery company providing a decent service, since even the few alternatives that exist (Hermes, GIS, etc...) are not much better than DHL.

45 minutes ago, UpToWick said:

There is massive business opportunity in Germany for a delivery company providing a decent service,

I think this goes for every business sector in Germany. But on the other hand, it seems Germans really don't have a demand or appetite for "good service". I've been in Germany for almost a decade and I still marvel on a weekly basis how bad service here can be. I also know many German friends/colleagues who've lived abroad and come back and complain about the same.

45 minutes ago, UpToWick said:

since even the few alternatives that exist (Hermes, GIS, etc...) are not much better than DHL.

I sorta feel hostage to DHL, because it's the best of the "OK" bunch. I've mostly had satisfactory experiences with them, but . Still, I've had even worse overall experiences with Hermes, GLS, DPD, etc, who really are utterly -- pardon my French -- shit tier. FedEx and UPS are OK, but usually too expensive for an ordinary nobody like me just sending private (i.e. non business) parcels.

This reminds me of the time I mailed a package to the US in mid November, thinking that would be plenty enough time for the recipient to receive it before Christmas.

According to the tracking information, it ended up in a stopover warehouse near Mainz where it stayed...until February.

She finally received it in early March.

Customer service was utterly useless, other than to tell me it'll get there when it does. Someday.

Ever since then, I have vowed never to use DHL again. I'll get on a plane and fly the package myself if DHL would be the only shipping option.

14 hours ago, UpToWick said:

The problem has been sorted.

could you outline what happened and/or what you did to get it resolved?  that might help someone else in the future.

DHL have currently lost 2 packages of  humanitarian aid (10 kilos each) sent by us  to my wife´s family in Venezuela at the end of March. Last registered somewhere in Frankfurt customs and no further info....Still waiting to hear from them in both Nachforschungsauftrag after 6 weeks....not holding out much hope.

Dreadful service.

On 7/6/2019, 7:39:58, alderhill said:

I think this goes for every business sector in Germany. But on the other hand, it seems Germans really don't have a demand or appetite for "good service".

Ha. Tell me about it. No offense to the Germans as many of them are nice and friendly too, but a lot of their workers also act like they are the customers and the actual customers need to be the ones to give them good service. Usually the courteous ones are the Ausländer. 

On 5.7.2019, 12:07:17, thegreatdivide said:

Tag them in twitter. I did it before.

Where in twitter do you tag them?

I need to get DHL's attention, too.

I was sent an important package (with my DSL router!) - the DHL guys never rang the doorbell and also did NOT drop off a postcard!

I had to call the sender to find out what shitty central post office the package had been sent to (this is a DSL provider, so they got feedback about where their stuff goes to when delivery fails), and go there with my ID to convince them to give it to me. :(

So how does the tagging work?

Do you tweet about the terrible service, and add, oh, the tag #terribledhlservice that points to @dhlpaket ? How does that make DHL notice you?

On 7/4/2019, 10:37:47, UpToWick said:

DHL lost a 100+ EUR air purifier that I sold through eBay...

Stop buying shit from Ebay. I think some of the sellers are set up with DHL guys. The very last time I used it, the package tracking showed that it was delivered to the local post, then got lost!

As I was not the sender, I could not force DHL to track it. The poster refused to do it and Ebay gave them no fault when I activated buyer´s protection. JUST STOP USING EBAY!

12 hours ago, Metall said:

So how does the tagging work?

Do you tweet about the terrible service, and add, oh, the tag #terribledhlservice that points to @dhlpaket ? How does that make DHL notice you?

You can just write a tweet about your concern and just write @dhlpaket anywhere in the tweet. They always respond when they get mentioned. Check their twitter page. They responded to many complaints. ?

On 07/07/2019, 08:55:49, lisa13 said:

could you outline what happened and/or what you did to get it resolved?  that might help someone else in the future.

They processed Nachforschungsauftrag and found the package. No need to contact their CEO.