Buy a "Grundstück" and build your own flat/house

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I opened this on purpose here because I think that the area where you want to do this matters.

I hope that someone that already directly or indirectly experienced it can share his/her thought with me.

Me and my girlfriend want to buy an apartment here soon (not later than 2 years).

I was thinking to evaluate also the option of buy a Grundstuck and build our home. This will let us to save money and/or having a bigger apartment (we come from countries where 100 square meters is just the default standard option).

She is an inner arkitekt and she has experience in managing "internal" construction site. Also we count on the fact that thanks to the contacts she has in her work we can have access to trustable/qualified construction companies and not just making a bet in choosing one of them.

Of course we have a lot of doubts. For example there is a way to be sure that we will stay inside the budget ? I mean, a legal way to specify this in the contracts ? What are examples of things that can go wrong ?

Which kind of mortgage we can expect from the bank ? We just will have around 100-150k to put upfront, the rest will be all mortgage.

Any thoughts, opinion or useful links (also in german) are very welcome.

PS: I know that on this board there is who thinks that buyng a property in MUC are is a total no go but please this is not the topic of the thread :)

Banks expect you to have 20-30% Eigenkapital. 700000€ from the bank?

You can't be sure to stay inside the budget, you even can't be sure to survive the next year.

Possible risks: during excavation they find a bomb: you will have to pay for disarming, it turns out your site is an archeological site: you pay. However, if the find a 200000 year old sceleton you have the right to name it. The could find that the ground is swampy, you have to pay for deeper excavation. Life doesn't come without risks.

You can specify almost anything in a contract, but you will have to find somebody to sign it.

These days construction companies are very busy. If your are lucky you find one, however, I doubt that they will accept all your clauses in a contract.

If a company is willing to accept such a small project nowerdays, why? How high is the risk that they deliver good work and/or don't go bancrupt?

(Luckily we bought a house 10 years ago)

What we did wasn't build a new one but bought a pretty crappy place and did it up year on year. The "altbau" was built 1938 but it had a 1985 "neubau" extension. We have sort of renovated it like a Bavarian farmhouse - our Nolte kitchen we purchased was the least modern looking one and had an old fart in it sipping wine in the catalogue. 

Get the place liveable and do projects bathroom, kitchen one a year. We're still at it - a new wooden floor in the bedrooms is for autumn. 

If you are like me no good at building but good at stripping old stuff out you can save a lot by buying a trailer and carting the bauschrott to the tip yourself (I will be down there doing just this this afternoon!).

As for places to buy, the further off the Bahn lines the cheaper the town. 

Good luck.

Surely as your  g/f is an architect and has contacts, then that is a better route to get more and better ideas and information rather than asking random people on the internet!

Surely she should have the knowledge, or access to people who do this professionally and hence have lots of experience.  Most people who have done this have often only ever done it once.  

40 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

our Nolte kitchen we purchased was the least modern looking one and had an old fart in it sipping wine in the catalogue. 

Why couldn't you of just said 'Kitchen'?

You really leave yourself wide open for further attacks but that aside, I can understand why you bought it, you could see yourself sitting in it going by the catalogue.:lol:

The trouble is, to get on Zuhause im Glück you must at least be suffering from some dread disease, have a severely handicapped child and your OH has collapsed and died after having started major renovations to your mould-infested house. Or some other jolly combination of dreadful circumstances.

No, Ab in die Ruine is the show to watch. Gung-ho would-be renovators buy a tumbledown place for nothing, and with a tiny budget and matching know-how attempt to turn it into a palace.

However, a dose of watching these programmes is very good for developing one's German vocabulary of technical building/decorating terms. And the financial and legal surprises that are uncovered with every blow of the hammer!

All the best to the OP. After all, people do actually build their homes quite successfully all the time. But it's wise to factor in costs for the seemingly inevitable and unwelcome surprises ...

(Raus aus den Schulden is the follow-up programme to learn from!)

22 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Surely as your  g/f is an architect and has contacts, then that is a better route to get more and better ideas and information rather than asking random people on the internet! 

I am asking to everyone everywhere. And this forum is a part of this "everyone everywhere".

The more the feedbacks the better.

1 hour ago, Frantic said:

How naive I have been, thinking that the thread could have gone off topic in that simple way...

...the ways of the thread Hijacking are infinite 

edit: I realize now that a moderator finally clean up the thread. Sorry for this post then, you can cancel it as well

Cleaned it up?! Damn, I go away for a few hours and have missed the salubrious posts:o

On 7/4/2019, 1:30:34, Frantic said:

I was thinking to evaluate also the option of buy a Grundstuck and build our home. This will let us to save money and/or having a bigger apartment (we come from countries where 100 square meters is just the default standard option).

Save money? Don´t count on it. A colleague bought an old house, had 200k€ for renovating it, the contractor took 80k€ and during 9 months pretended to work. Did not pay his workers, never finished the job. My colleague had to move with his family of 4 to his mother´s house for 14 months, as he had told the landlord that he was leaving.

Never got his 80k€ back, lost perhaps 30k€ more on the delays, so all the "savings" are gone!

On 7/4/2019, 1:30:34, Frantic said:

She is an inner arkitekt and she has experience in managing "internal" construction site. Also we count on the fact that thanks to the contacts she has in her work we can have access to trustable/qualified construction companies and not just making a bet in choosing one of them.

Don´t mix pleasure with work.

On 7/4/2019, 1:55:07, AnswerToLife42 said:

Possible risks: during excavation they find a bomb: you will have to pay for disarming,

Happened 300m away from me. The owner of the house has to pay 200.000€ for ordnance removing, which was found AFTER the house was built.

Now the whole neighborhood is trying to help her, as they could be next.

What about asking a company offering turnkey solutions ("schlüsselfertig")? They often already have plots available (at least they had where I was living (lower Franconia)) and might accept at least some of the risks which come with construction. The guy who bought my property 2 months ago told me that he got a 30 years mortgage with a 1,8% interest rate (don´t know how much owner´s equity he had though).