Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ordered a computer online - from US, DHL requires EORI Number for Zoll

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I ordered a computer online ($500 with shipping) - from US.

 

I received an email from DHL, they require my EORI Number (and to register for it if I don't have one) for Zoll.

 

The first point (before reading the large text I was sent) I am confused about is, since I am an individual purchasing something for my own use, why would I need an EORI Number?

 

It also says that the item will be sent back if I do not complete all of this. How do you guys deal with this? I have had international shipments before, however this did not happen.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An EORI is for 'economic operators', so maybe something on the address label or accompanying 'paperwork' makes them think you're one.

Even if you are an economic operator, delivery companies may (or at least were) able to process the shipment as if the recipient was an individual.

I suggest you simply query the request with them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, nomadpunk said:

An EORI is for 'economic operators', so maybe something on the address label or accompanying 'paperwork' makes them think you're one.

Even if you are an economic operator, delivery companies may (or at least were) able to process the shipment as if the recipient was an individual.

I suggest you simply query the request with them.

 

The vendor (something large like Ebay) wrote on the declaration card "direct consumer", which was also part of the attachments that DHL sent me, so they must know I am a consumer.

 

They want a "Auftrag zur Abfertigung" (which also contains a field for EORI - entire form is in German by the way), and 2 checkbox-like items:

 

[ ] VERZOLLUNG (zum freien Verkehr)
Kostenfrei bis 3 Warentarifpositionen

 

[ ] T1 VERSANDVERFAHREN
Kostenpflichtig, 45 € zzgl. MwSt. pro Sendung

 

I am speculating that they want the form filled out with one of those two selected, however I have no clue what to do (even when I translate these words, there isn't any clear logical patten that I feel satisfied about).

 

Ok, I will simply contact DHL and ask them. They also had a text (in high emphasis color) that in 5 days it will be returned to sender, and in 4 days, storage fees might apply (regardless of whether or not I meet the above deadline).

 

Can you imagine what an average person in Germany who orders a basic consumer electronic from any other country would go through with such a situation? I was at work and received this entire email today and was completely lost as to how to address it, ruined my whole day.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's quite normal that goods over a certain value imported into the EU from most destinations require a customs declaration and payment of fees. It varies a little bit by country but is an EU system, not a German one (and replicated in other countries including the USA with variations). The fees include customs duty, VAT and clearance/handling fees (dependent on nature of goods and value). These costs can significantly change the economics of buying from outside the EU.

The Warentarifpositionen is the international commodity code. You can determine this from the nature of the contents, so they're saying for up to three codes there is no charge (the Zollamt will check them).

The codes are here:
https://www.zolltarifnummern.de/ (available in German, English and French)

See also:
https://www.dhl.com/en/express/customs_support/duties_taxes/duties_taxes_receivers.html

The T1 procedure is only for goods transiting, i.e. being shipped onwards to another country/tariff zone.

I suggest you leave the EORI field blank or write in 'not applicable'. It's probably a standard form. The Auftrag zur Abfertigung is basically for you to request that they process the shipment for customs clearance, including their fees; in principle you can choose another clearance agent, but it won't change the fees significantly for a single job.

Hope this helps.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was running a whisky competition with companies sending me bottles from all over the world I suffered this in the last 1-2 years. It's a fucking nightmare when someone like DHL suddenly decides you're a business, even when you're not.

As has been explained an EORI number is solely for business imports, by that I mean the receiving person is a business.

 

There's something stupid in your address or name that makes them think you're a business.

I had a few interesting calls with DHL import dep't when I made it clear that I wasn't a business and I wouldn't recognise an EORI number if it fell out of a tree and hit me on the head.

In my case the whisky was being sent to my private address with my name but they also included "Malt Maniacs Awards" which they claimed was possibly a business. I stood my ground, asked them to gooooogle "Malt Maniacs (Awards)" and then try to tell me where the business element was.

Eventually they believed me and just forwarded the goods, along with an invoice for Duty payable, but it was painful to get there.

 

Stand your ground, explain your private status and if you can, have a bit of fun with them at the same time, I did.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

When I was running a whisky competition with companies sending me bottles from all over the world I suffered this in the last 1-2 years. It's a fucking nightmare when someone like DHL suddenly decides you're a business, even when you're not.

As has been explained an EORI number is solely for business imports, by that I mean the receiving person is a business.

 

There's something stupid in your address or name that makes them think you're a business.

I had a few interesting calls with DHL import dep't when I made it clear that I wasn't a business and I wouldn't recognise an EORI number if it fell out of a tree and hit me on the head.

In my case the whisky was being sent to my private address with my name but they also included "Malt Maniacs Awards" which they claimed was possibly a business. I stood my ground, asked them to gooooogle "Malt Maniacs (Awards)" and then try to tell me where the business element was.

Eventually they believed me and just forwarded the goods, along with an invoice for Duty payable, but it was painful to get there.

 

Stand your ground, explain your private status and if you can, have a bit of fun with them at the same time, I did.

 

Yes, I have a c/o address with a name of a residential housing complex, example "c/o Housing Company 1".

 

The reason I have that there is dead clear: The housing company manages mail (I am at work when shipments of packages come - and this usually happens during business hours). In this country, they don't seem to have the concept of simply delivering a notice, and letting the recipient take the notice to a local facility for pickup. This pathetic game of hoping that someone will be there to pick it up is what is played here. 

 

Basically, I have that there so that they ensure they give it to a receptionist (who gathers mail for many people living there). However, this is the first time it has got me into a situation where they think I am a business (most likely a member of the residential housing company itself).

 

They did reply and wanted a decaration / erklärung with my personal address. I provided it and also provided the residential housing company's info so that they can contact them to confirm that I am NOT an employee there, but a resident.

 

What about import duties? I recall paying the 19% to the vendor-USA, which was itemized as foreign duties. I'm gussing I'll have to pay that again (and then get it refunded by the vendor-USA). Or is it different?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jonnypp said:

In this country, they don't seem to have the concept of simply delivering a notice, and letting the recipient take the notice to a local facility for pickup. This pathetic game of hoping that someone will be there to pick it up is what is played here. 

 

?

 

of course they do.  they try to deliver it, and if you aren't at home they leave a notice (or mail one to you about a day later, if they could not access the mailbox) so you can pick it up at your local post office.

 

I'm not sure about how it works with international shipments, but with EU shipments, once it's in the system and prior to delivery, you can just go to the tracking page where you can select "deliver to post office" (or packstation or a neighbor or leave it in a specified location, etc)  It's fine and totally effective.  

 

but maybe yours will get stuck at the zoll.  then you will definitely have the option to pick it up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jonnypp said:

 

Yes, I have a c/o address with a name of a residential housing complex, example "c/o Housing Company 1".

 

 

 

Therein is the issue.  This 'appears' like a business.

Jonny PP
C/O Housing Company 1
Hauptstr. 2
Berlin, DE

Requesting an EORI made sense at the time.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If DHL don't think you're a business they just try to deliver and for international shipments look at the packing list and determine what Duties are to be paid. They they ask for payment upon delivery or sometimes even send an invoice.

 

EORI numbers actually make it easier for businesses, they call you, ask for the number and then charge any Duties to your account.

The problem arises when you're not a business, you have to make them understand otherwise.

Obviously within the EU there's no issue as no Duties to be paid.

Good luck and have fun,

Malty

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0