Please read-advice for life in Friesenheim area

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for the nature of the post. On the 23rd of June my husband violently assaulted me in front of our two year old daughter. I have since been to the police, obtained records of my injuries, began criminal and civil proceedings and will obviously be divorcing him. I recently moved out of Bavaria to get further away from him as he wasn't respecting the no contact order. I now live in Friesenheim and a friend is allowing me to stay with him and pay half the rent while I figure things out. I was hoping that someone may know of a job in the Friesenheim area that would be well suited for someone with minimal German skills. I am looking for something entry level, maybe a job as a housekeeper, waitress, dishwasher and so on. This whole event has caught me totally by surprise. I had planned to resume my studies prior to this, but because my daughter is so young I have no choice but to jump into any job that will accept me for the time being. I am also looking for a pediatrician, general adult doctor, and a therapist that may speak English. Of course any advice that anyone can give me I would be happy for. Thank you in advance.

-Kimmy

Hi KimmyRS - I'm so sorry to hear of the turn your life has taken, and glad to hear that you have been able to get out of the situation and put some physical distance between yourself and your husband.

I'm not familiar with Friesenheim, but it doesn't appear to be all that large of a place. When I used the website of the "Kassenärztliche Vereinigung" (Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians) to search for an English-speaking pediatrician, none were to be found in Friesenheim itself. In Lahr and in Offenburg there are several options available. Unfortunately, the website is only available in German, but it's fairly easy to navigate. Use the "Arztsuche", and then put in the specialization you're looking for, the town or area, and specify that you want English-speakers.

For a job, probably the same holds true, that you will need to look further afield than Friesenheim if your German is minimal. However, both Lahr and Offenburg should have entry-levels jobs available. Check your local newspaper online, check the bulletin board in the supermarket (both often have ads for cleaning jobs), go by the local restaurants, fast food outlets etc. No, these won't be jobs for the long-term, but it's a start.

Wishing you and your daughter all the best, as you find your feet and try to figure out what path your life can take from here!

.First of all, at the time this incident occurred my concern was not with the safety of a cat. It was with the safety of my 2 year old child. This question is not only none of your concern but it is incredibly ignorant. When did it happen that people value the life of an animal so much over another person? However, I am not a monster, I took the cat with me. So your "fear" of my answer can be put to rest.

Touchy subject I guess.

To answer your question, it happened to me a long time ago! (Although you sure did read into that)

I really feel sorry for you. Many of us here know what it is like to be in a strange country, far from  family and in a terrible situation but as you can see from the comments here help is at hand.

Google jobs at your local hospitals. The websites are often in English and there are usually lots of non-care like jobs such as moving beds from one ward to another, catering jobs and possibly jobs where you can speak English. 

Women in your situation can contact the Frauenhaus for advice and support. More information (in German) in the link below. 

Frauenhaus
Ortenau-Offenburg
Telefon:0781-34 311
E-Mail:info@frauenhaus-ortenau.de
Internet:http://www.frauenhaus-ortenau.de

Frauen- und Kinderschutzhaus
Telefon:0761-31 072
E-Mail:info@frauenhaus-freiburg.de
Internet:http://www.frauenhaus-freiburg.de

http://www.singlemama.de/adressen/adressen-fuer-alleinerziehende-in-friesenheim-083170031031.htm

You have been active and have started divorce proceedings. Believe me, one day the sun will shine for you again.