Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Work visa exemption as a German degree holder: still relevant after time abroad?

4 posts in this topic

I'm an American who for personal reasons finished grad school in Germany (M.Sc.) and am currently working within my field at an office here. From what I experienced getting my current work visa, my German degree basically bypassed the requirement for an interview with the Agentur fuer Arbeit (to argue why I'm necessary and no EU citizen can perform my job), and now I'm able to work unrestricted within my field of study.

However, I wish to develop professionally back in the US (at least until I learn the basics) and perhaps come back to work in Germany once I'm at least pretty proficient at what I do. So, the plan is move back stateside and perhaps three or four years down the line consider moving back when I can actually contribute to my work (instead of being the coffee-getting intern).

Anyways, the big question: in both legal and customary terms, is this visa-exemption still valid after leaving for a few years? Legal as in if I can still bypass the Arbeitsamt interview requirement and simply apply for a new visa; customary as in if employers would still consider a German M.Sc. graduate who had been out of the country for a few years, in contrast to a fresh graduate still in the country.

AFAIK, no. A degree from a German university only entitles you to bypass the Vorrangprüfung within 18 months of you completing it. If you stay away for 3-4 years, you'll have to start from scratch when you come back.

25 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

AFAIK, no. A degree from a German university only entitles you to bypass the Vorrangprüfung within 18 months of you completing it. If you stay away for 3-4 years, you'll have to start from scratch when you come back.

Just did some very rough googling, and came up with this, specifically under point 3:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbeitserlaubnis#Zu_Erwerbszwecken_einreisende_Ausländer,_Hochschulabsolventen

Seit Januar 2009 gilt die genannte Regelung des § 27 BeschV für alle Ausländer mit deutschem Hochschulabschluss, auch wenn sie nach dem Studium Deutschland bereits verlassen haben und schon länger im Ausland leben. Sie erhalten ggf. ein Visum und eine Aufenthaltserlaubnis zu Beschäftigungszwecken, wenn sie ein ihrem Abschluss angemessenes verbindliches Arbeitsangebot nachweisen können.

Again, it's a Wikipedia quote and I didn't check the source, but could anyone confirm or refute this..?

2 minutes ago, Pandekage said:

Just did some very rough googling, and came up with this, specifically under point 3:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbeitserlaubnis#Zu_Erwerbszwecken_einreisende_Ausländer,_Hochschulabsolventen

Again, it's a Wikipedia quote and I didn't check the source, but could anyone confirm or refute this..?

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. Sounds like you still need to get the job offer cleared by the Ausländeramt, to make sure it's appropriate for your degree, but you can skip the Vorrangprüfung.