Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

in Hamburg seeking on-site diy yogurt lesson

8 posts in this topic

In New York I had no Trouble taking old yogurt and make new Batches out of it overnight. In Hamburg, I tried twice with no luck, even using some powder with culture on top of the supposed active culture in the old yogurt. I used even a cooking Thermometer.. et cetera.. and all i get is a bowl of milk in the morning still with a Tiny plop of yogurt, probabaly just what I originally put i nthe evening before as a starter.

I'm in the Eimsbüttel area and would muc appreciate it if someone would stop over sometime to shwo me step by step the correct way, and which exact ingredients to buy. I followed a few on-line for Germany recipes/directions ofmr the Internet but had no luck….I would be happy to pay 20 EUR upon success for an on-site teaching visit. 

We do all the time.   Here is what we learnt: 

Best milk to use because it will always work and you do not have to deal with warming the milk to a specific temperature:  H-Milch

Then buy any sort of unflavored yogurt as a starter, try to find one that is not too old.   Put 3 or 4 liters of milk in a plastic bowl (not sure if it must be plastic, we always use plastic).   Put some of the yogurt inside, one quarter of the 200ml is enough, we put half to be sure.   Mix it.   put the whole thing inside the oven with the oven light on.  Just the lights.   Wait overnight.   Now you have a bunch of yogurt.      Depending on the weather it might take from 8 to 16 hours.  If it is too thin, just wait longer.

If there is some separation, the liquid is the whey, just mix the whole thing.   Or if you want the yogurt to be very super-firm, like greek yogurt, then you can do the opposite, filter the whole thing through a piece of cloth to remove more whey.    Do not waste the whey, use it for something else, like soups, or baking bread.   Or at least put it on your plants.

There is no way you fail doing it with H-Milk.

Edit: I donate my hard earned 20€ to anything you choose to donate them.  

I have no problem either.  I use a large stainless steel thermos with a wide neck.  But I often buy yoghurt as you can get good bio stuff in glass.  And I like to encourage stuff sold in glass not plastic.

one thing leaps out at me:  she has a tiny "plop" of yogurt, which may be the same yogurt she added as starter (says OP)

you have to mix it thoroughly.  I always put a couple of tablespoons of finished yogurt in a bowl and whisked that with a roughly equal amount of milk until perfectly smooth, then add the rest of the milk and mix again.

if you just drop a small plop of yogurt in the milk, it might work eventually, but it would take a lot longer for the bacteria to colonize the milk, possibly long enough that the milk would sour in the meantime.  also, using a bit more than a small, single plop will get things going faster.

make sure your starter yogurt doesn't contain gelatin or other thickeners, too. 

if it still doesn't work, make kefir.  I swear a dead person could pull it off, albeit with a small amount of assistance.  buy some kefir, pour some of it into a container of milk (you might have to pour off a bit of milk so there is room to add the kefir), shake, and let it sit for about 24 hours.  If it's cool, it might take longer but unlike yogurt, it doesn't have to be especially warm for it to culture.

I am looking for on-site in Hamburg.

52 minutes ago, sonazeit said:

I am looking for on-site in Hamburg.

Going to your place, putting yogurt into milk, mix it, and wait 10 hours there?  For 20 EUR?

Really, it is easy.  You must be making a tiny mistake somewhere.   I could say it is not rocket science but remember the mistakes with the Hubble telescope.   I would guess you are adding the yoghurt culture when milk too hot.  A bit too cool would not be a problem.  The milk needs to be about blood temperature.