Got attacked by two Croatians in Unterhaching

176 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, alderhill said:

...I have also from time to time felt intentionally ignored (which I assume was not actually the case).

optimistic but naive assumption.  If you notice it, it's likely intentional.  Not necessarily personal, but intentional.  Skilled ignorers leave the customer feeling unseen, not purposely avoided.

11 hours ago, Sannerl said:

Excuse me?!?

Queuing is normal anywhere here in Bavaria, Franconia, Thuringia - sometimes, the staff has to ask who's next when there are several lines (cheeses - meat), and usually, the customers ask each other if the other one wasn't there before if the staff serves the wrong one first. Politely.

Surely you mean...

Sometimes. Perhaps even often, but far from always or even reliably.  Otherwise, I must fly with great haste to whichever utopian enclave in which you find yourself...? 

2 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

optimistic but naive assumption.  If you notice it, it's likely intentional.  Not necessarily personal, but intentional.  Skilled ignorers leave the customer feeling unseen, not purposely avoided.

Surely you mean...

Sometimes. Perhaps even often, but far from always or even reliably.  Otherwise, I must fly with great haste to whichever utopian enclave in which you find yourself...? 

I've already posted a list. "Utopian" like "lucky"? Yes indeed. (I've held a lecture on Jonathan Swift in college. Interesting stuff.)

ok, I'll believe you.  No clue what the last sentence means, or why it's relevant though, I'm afraid.  But whatever the explanation, I'm sure I'll be able to accept that, too.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Otherwise, I must fly with great haste to whichever utopian enclave in which you find yourself...? 

Sorry, you can't do that because if every comes here it won't be utopia anymore.

Eh, was a joke anyway.  Utopia's bound to be full of Nice People, and we've never mixed circles much ;) I like a little edge to public life.  And private too, I suppose.  A little evil goes a long way. 

I live and shop in the neighborhood described above and it's pretty good, but indeed, I would not use the word "always" to describe the level of politeness and order.  "Usually" is more accurate.  

The queue situation also depends on the shop and also on how busy it is.  If the shop is laid out to allow queueing, and if it's quite busy, yes, people queue.  If there are only a couple of people waiting, they usually just go right up to the counter.  That's usually when there is opportunity for evil to rear its head.  Some third or fourth person comes in, walks up to the counter and gets served before the others who were already waiting.  They know damned well they weren't next, but unless someone calls them on it they are usually more than happy to let the "mistake" stand.  Normally the staff gets it right so it doesn't happen too often, but it most definitely does happen.

Politeness, fraufruit, Same here in Greece...you  are at a bank and about to be served and someone the teller knows barges in and kalimera/morning..how are you? And they chatter, And the old folk (like everywhere ) love to get on the bus first. I can actually understand that...often, people are ill, in pain ..ok.I understand that.

It´s difficult being old-fashioned. And there ARE cultural differences. So my old-fashioned rant is that....it´s not the way I grew up...

Katheliz thank you but i got it now . FIL Father In Law SIL Sister IN Law.  and MIL Mother In Law. :)

23 hours ago, katheliz said:

See also SIL, FIL, MIL. :) 

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

What is the problem with simply stating "I was first"? 

Exactly. I have no problem saying "Entschuldigung, ich war vor Ihnen dran". No arguments. Usually the person says sorry. And it's forgotten. 

On 07/07/2019, 06:39:49, Sannerl said:

Excuse me?!?

Queuing is normal anywhere here in Bavaria, Franconia, Thuringia - sometimes, the staff has to ask who's next when there are several lines (cheeses - meat), and usually, the customers ask each other if the other one wasn't there before if the staff serves the wrong one first. Politely.

Yes of course, your mileage may vary. I sometimes find a shop where the staff do pay attention to who's next, or (usually to my shock!) another customer themselves motions at me. Nonetheless, in the absence of number tickets, the lack of an 'honour system' is common enough that I just expect it by default. As my German language skills have improved, I've been more confident in speaking up if something is amiss. After nearly a decade in Germany, this one of the things that still rankles me.

A couple weeks ago, my wife and I were standing in a line at our local DM, with our baby in stroller. As often the case, a long line-up builds at the one open cashier, while 3 other workers obliviously fart about in the aisles. The person ahead of us had put her stuff on the conveyer belt, but not us. We only had a few small items, so not even a minute to check out... Finally another staff member comes to open another cashier, and "by rights" (note the scare quotes) we should be next. Before we can push our stroller forward 3 inches, a woman of about 50, who was behind us, literally steps around us to shove past and get there first. I loudly said "Unglaublich!" and shook my head. She heard, as the cashier looked at me, but the woman herself didn't react. There's no excuse for that, it's plain effing rude. Yes, it's a tired and banal scene played out 1001 times by now, we've all heard and lived it before, but it really still shocks me when it happens as it so regularly does.

18 hours ago, Magmax said:

Katheliz thank you but i got it now . FIL Father In Law SIL Sister IN Law.  and MIL Mother In Law. :)

Now that you're a little wiser, be careful not to confuse those with "MILF"...

47 minutes ago, alderhill said:

Before we can push our stroller forward 3 inches, a woman of about 50, who was behind us, literally steps around us to shove past and get there first. I loudly said "Unglaublich!" and shook my head. She heard, as the cashier looked at me, but the woman herself didn't react. There's no excuse for that, it's plain effing rude. Yes, it's a tired and banal scene played out 1001 times by now, we've all heard and lived it before, but it really still shocks me when it happens as it so regularly does.

The fact is that people here are not brought up to care about or to be considererate towards strangers.

This behaviour can't be taught in schools so it must be learned inside the family. It's a mystery to me too Alderhill.

On 05/07/2019, 19:45:08, john g. said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-48881327

These " slave owners " are Poles. Nothing against Poles at all. But a lot against these types. This stuff IS going on.

A victim speaks out:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48736957

On 05/07/2019, 21:30:20, French bean said:

Note the line in the report about the victim:

The gang are mainly Roma, from Poland. They came to the UK specifically to traffic their fellow countrymen.

The Roma's or Gypsies using the traditional name have been involved a lot in slavery and agricultural gangs.

I'm surprised they didn't get longer sentences for that.

2 hours ago, alderhill said:

Yes of course, your mileage may vary. I sometimes find a shop where the staff do pay attention to who's next, or (usually to my shock!) another customer themselves motions at me. Nonetheless, in the absence of number tickets, the lack of an 'honour system' is common enough that I just expect it by default. As my German language skills have improved, I've been more confident in speaking up if something is amiss. After nearly a decade in Germany, this one of the things that still rankles me.

A couple weeks ago, my wife and I were standing in a line at our local DM, with our baby in stroller. As often the case, a long line-up builds at the one open cashier, while 3 other workers obliviously fart about in the aisles. The person ahead of us had put her stuff on the conveyer belt, but not us. We only had a few small items, so not even a minute to check out... Finally another staff member comes to open another cashier, and "by rights" (note the scare quotes) we should be next. Before we can push our stroller forward 3 inches, a woman of about 50, who was behind us, literally steps around us to shove past and get there first. I loudly said "Unglaublich!" and shook my head. She heard, as the cashier looked at me, but the woman herself didn't react. There's no excuse for that, it's plain effing rude. Yes, it's a tired and banal scene played out 1001 times by now, we've all heard and lived it before, but it really still shocks me when it happens as it so regularly does.

Only a little younger than me, then...

You're absolutely right: That's rude, plain and simple. And some do behave like that - but most don't.

It's mostly the arseholes that get any ethnic group branded, not the well behaved because the former stand out in a negative way.

3 hours ago, alderhill said:

Why didn't you ask nicely if you could go in front of her as you had so few items *and* a young child? People sometimes need a gentle reminder to do the right thing - and this means you actually have to put them on the spot.

10 minutes ago, pmd said:

Why didn't you ask nicely if you could go in front of her as you had so few items *and* a young child? People sometimes need a gentle reminder to do the right thing - and this means you actually have to put them on the spot.

From her behaviour I conclude that she knew exactly what she was doing. Not worth the effort since alderhill and his family were next in their line anyway.

That "Unglaublich!" should have been sufficient to shame her with all those people around, but she didn't bother. Lost cause.

12 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

From her behaviour I conclude that she knew exactly what she was doing. Not worth the effort since alderhill and his family were next in their line anyway.

That "Unglaublich!" should have been sufficient to shame her with all those people around, but she didn't bother. Lost cause.

11 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Oh yes, she knew what she was doing, that's clear.

What I will say in the woman's defence is that, for me, a new checkout opening is not strictly queue jumping. This is going to sound like something from Seinfeld but a new queue is like the start of a new relationship - it's a step into the unknown. You leave the bossom of the existing queue at your peril.  ;-)

1 minute ago, pmd said:

Oh yes, she knew what she was doing, that's clear.

What I will say in the woman's defence is that, for me, a new checkout opening is not strictly queue jumping. This is going to sound like something from Seinfeld but a new queue is like the start of a new relationship - it's a step into the unknown. You leave the bossom of the existing queue at your peril.  ;-)

Still not worth the effort.

Fun fact: Most times, the new queue opens exactly when we've put our items on the belt. No, it's not always much. ;-)