Got attacked by two Croatians in Unterhaching

169 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, French bean said:

I don't mean to be patronising but as you are now in a Uni you will be dealing with more educated and open minded people, not everyday poorly educated dipshits that put a warped sense of community and self worth before true integration.

Before starting with the Uni, I worked a very peculiar profession that sometimes brought me to the fringes of the civilized world. I still refrain from generalizations.

Lumping millions of people into the same group and then proceed to denigrate them is generally a bad idea.

As with your local crime issues. Are there no local criminals? Also, where's the police?
Are those illegals? Where's ICE (or whatever it's called in the UK) then?

3 minutes ago, pmd said:

Funny thing is that this child speaks English and another non-European language at home. What perhaps happened was he was not speaking German in Kita and maybe got told off by one of the Erzieherin?  Anyway, I just politely answered him that I can speak to my daughter in English in the Kita because I am her Papa.

My wife and I are bringing up our two children bilingually - I speak nothing but English and she speaks nothing but German to them. I haven't had any problems speaking English to them in public - sometimes you get a bit of a gawp but it is just curiosity I suppose. 

In my experience as an au-pair in France (10 years ago), kids associate specific person with specific language. I was taking care of two (English) boys and would speak nothing but English with them, while they would speak French at school and with friends. One day I was picking up the younger one from school and started chatting with his teacher in French and tried to involve him in the conversation. He just turned to me and with the most serious face ever said : "Speak English, not French!", I laughted it off and tried again, he went nuts insisting I speak only English with him. When I discussed this with his mum ( I wasn't complaining, it was quite comical situation for me ), she said he reacts the same way if she tries to speak French with him as well...He just associated me with English and that was that. Kids are fascinating!

Probably the kid heard one of the staff telling off your kid for not speaking German (as you've wrote) and decided to feel on a higher moral ground (you know they like to please autority figures). You handled the situation well. I wonder if the reverse situation happens in schools in the UK or any English language country (it is a long time since I've studied) and someone get told off for not speaking English.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

All comments aside, time to look at the learning curve. What would you do differently next time?

I would suggest ignoring them completely and just moving on but not directly to your house where they might follow you.

This^^^

OP - you mentioned, " I turned and said " sorry, were you talking to me" and he proceeded to tell me how he does not have eyes on his back and I should have said something ( which I did, I said "sorry")" and this is where the problem  started. It doesn't mean that what happened was acceptable but nowadays there are far to many people around who carry knives or are more than happy to turn to violence at the drop of a hat so it's not worth interacting with these people. Just say, "sorry" and walk away without interacting with them any more. If they start to follow you just head to a public place (shop, bar, etc.) with lots of other people who will hopefully help you and phone the police.

14 hours ago, JCrichton said:

As with your local crime issues. Are there no local criminals? Also, where's the police?
Are those illegals? Where's ICE (or whatever it's called in the UK) then?

I didn't say those from ethnic backgrounds are criminals, the vast majority are not ( or is that a generalisation?). However, The local Anglo Saxons still get involved in fights, burglary, petty crime etc. The big crimes - Drugs, prostitution, slavery, guns and the running of grooming gangs preying on young vulnerable girls tend to be run by those with immigrant backgrounds. Google 'Grooming gang sentenced' and see how many of those are from immigrant backgrounds. Read what they did as well.

As for the Police, due to Tory Austerity measures, what police we have left are poorly equipped and very demotivated, there just aren't enough of them.

What's ICE?

Or instead of stopping to question them in real life, you can just do it all in your head as you walk away, and hopefully in the scenario that plays out in your head you can come out on top.

20 minutes ago, French bean said:

What's ICE?

Immigration Police in the USA.

Or:

ice.jpg.65ad5702cd21f3daaa487ef886f7ad19

19 hours ago, FleetwoodMac said:

They spoke three languages - Croatian, English (with eastern accent), German (again with an accent, but my ear is not trained as to point exactly what kind of). I know they spoke Croatian because as I've explained in my first post, my current neighbours are from Croatia. They are not quiet people and now, after a year living next to them, I can recognize the language.

It might be worth pointing out that Croatian and Serbian (and Bosnian, Montenegrin, etc.) are the same language... 

The local police offers "Zivilcourage"-seminars (free of charge).

Walking away fast and ignoring them is the best you can do.

If they follow you: Get loud to inform everyone around there's something wrong. Talk directly to other people to inform them and ask for help (like calling the police, take pictures...).

No "Duzen" (difficult in English; a loud "Sir!" should do in your case). Don't talk too much. To say "Stop!" with your arm signalling distance is best.

Ring doorbells. Cry for help.

If attacked (and they manage to get near you and you can't get away): Kick, scream, scratch, bite. Don't go silent.

Unless they attack you with a knife, that should help.

In the mentioned seminars, they also teach you a few basic self-defence moves. And what you should do if you witness such a situation yourself.

I know you seem to be shocked. But really when reading your description I found that I'd be a little annoyed as well if someone squeezes by while (!) mumbling sorry which I may have heard or not instead of speaking to me from behind leaving me time to react. Thats why bikes have bells.  You dont use them during passing but a little before. And when he complains about this behaviour he gets bitched at for his size. Something which you might get used when living in Croydon but still is disrespectful and a really hurtful thing to say (US people might be ready to sue you for such comments). Real thugs  might have taken a knife as reaction. So before fingerpointing even if their reaction to your nastiness was extreme always remember it takes two to Tango. And finally stating they were Croatian when there are so many countries that do speak Serbo-Croatian just because some neighbour of you spoke similar and you were noting some Polish word that you know. Sorry does not convince me to join bashing supposedly different cultures. And connecting this to Brexit is well erm yes well.. thats the attitude why so many people voted leave. People please think twice before jumping gun and bashing on supposedly other way of life and their views of women. No I am not obese and no I am not ex-jugoslavian or any other background. Just a considerate European that does not like jumping guns inconsiderate. All Croatians I met so far were average European  (western if you want) some of them slightly scarred (souls) by the recent war. No general strange attitude towards women. In fact most were even slightly more courteous than I was used to, sort of old fashioned.

I can't believe that this sort of thing happens on a regular basis. I have been in Germany for more than 20 years and have never witnessed a violent incident. London was a different story, especially after the pubs closed.

Once in Saxon Anhalt, I heard a couple of men screaming at each other, and as I got closer, I realised they were screaming in English. Another time, a man got very annoyed on the underground because he wanted his window open and a young man tried to close it over his head without asking permission., He was also English and told the German youth to move to a different place if he felt uncomfortable. "This is MY window!!".

Not exactly the stuff of violence.

20 hours ago, thegreatdivide said:

If it were me I’d have asked that child if he/she can speak English and then tell him/her that my child can speak German, English, and other languages. It would not be right to talk to a child like that, but this thinking that little children must be taught the German language first before any other language is ignorant. Children who live here will eventually learn the language when they go to kindergarten. This is how language acquisition works. But many Germans seem to not know this. And they pass on their ignorant beliefs to their children. Same goes to racists and those who discriminate. It all starts at home. 

Or the kid just didn't speak English (this was in a German kindergarten after all) and felt excluded. Jeez.

1 hour ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

I know you seem to be shocked. But really when reading your description I found that I'd be a little annoyed as well if someone squeezes by while (!) mumbling sorry which I may have heard or not instead of speaking to me from behind leaving me time to react. Thats why bikes have bells.  You dont use them during passing but a little before. And when he complains about this behaviour he gets bitched at for his size. Something which you might get used when living in Croydon but still is disrespectful and a really hurtful thing to say (US people might be ready to sue you for such comments). Real thugs  might have taken a knife as reaction. So before fingerpointing even if their reaction to your nastiness was extreme always remember it takes two to Tango. And finally stating they were Croatian when there are so many countries that do speak Serbo-Croatian just because some neighbour of you spoke similar and you were noting some Polish word that you know. Sorry does not convince me to join bashing supposedly different cultures. And connecting this to Brexit is well erm yes well.. thats the attitude why so many people voted leave. People please think twice before jumping gun and bashing on supposedly other way of life and their views of women. No I am not obese and no I am not ex-jugoslavian or any other background. Just a considerate European that does not like jumping guns inconsiderate. All Croatians I met so far were average European  (western if you want) some of them slightly scarred (souls) by the recent war. No general strange attitude towards women. In fact most were even slightly more courteous than I was used to, sort of old fashioned.

I DIDN'T MUMBLE!!!!!!!!I SAID IT LOUD AND CLEAR WITH A QUESTION MARK!!!!!THE GUY SAW ME BEFORE HAND WHEN I WAS RIGHT BEHIND HIS MATE!!!!!!!ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS HERE ARE FROM MEN, CLEARLY NOT KNOWING WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT!!!!!BASHING A LITTLE GIRL OVER THE INTERNET MAKES YOU THE BETTER MAN, RIGHT?JUST LIKE THOSE IDIOTS YESTERDAY!I WILL NOT STAY SILENT WHEN I AM CALLED A "WHORE" FOR WALKING ON THE BLOODY PAVEMENT!!!PISS OFF, FAM!WE ALL KNOW WHAT THE CROATS DID DURING THE WAR!!!!!

!

8 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

This^^^

OP - you mentioned, " I turned and said " sorry, were you talking to me" and he proceeded to tell me how he does not have eyes on his back and I should have said something ( which I did, I said "sorry")" and this is where the problem  started. It doesn't mean that what happened was acceptable but nowadays there are far to many people around who carry knives or are more than happy to turn to violence at the drop of a hat so it's not worth interacting with these people. Just say, "sorry" and walk away without interacting with them any more. If they start to follow you just head to a public place (shop, bar, etc.) with lots of other people who will hopefully help you and phone the police.

I turned and ask if they are talking to me, because he was shouting and as I've said before he was calling me names and for some reason I couldn't let it go...If I was in the UK I would have never turn 

8 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

This^^^

19 hours ago, pmd said:

Funny thing is that this child speaks English and another non-European language at home. What perhaps happened was he was not speaking German in Kita and maybe got told off by one of the Erzieherin?  Anyway, I just politely answered him that I can speak to my daughter in English in the Kita because I am her Papa.

My wife and I are bringing up our two children bilingually - I speak nothing but English and she speaks nothing but German to them. I haven't had any problems speaking English to them in public - sometimes you get a bit of a gawp but it is just curiosity I suppose. 

In my experience as an au-pair in France (10 years ago), kids associate specific person with specific language. I was taking care of two (English) boys and would speak nothing but English with them, while they would speak French at school and with friends. One day I was picking up the younger one from school and started chatting with his teacher in French and tried to involve him in the conversation. He just turned to me and with the most serious face ever said : "Speak English, not French!", I laughted it off and tried again, he went nuts insisting I speak only English with him. When I discussed this with his mum ( I wasn't complaining, it was quite comical situation for me ), she said he reacts the same way if she tries to speak French with him as well...He just associated me with English and that was that. Kids are fascinating!

Probably the kid heard one of the staff telling off your kid for not speaking German (as you've wrote) and decided to feel on a higher moral ground (you know they like to please autority figures). You handled the situation well. I wonder if the reverse situation happens in schools in the UK or any English language country (it is a long time since I've studied) and someone get told off for not speaking English.

10 minutes ago, FleetwoodMac said:

ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS HERE ARE FROM MEN, CLEARLY NOT KNOWING WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT!!!!!BASHING A LITTLE GIRL OVER THE INTERNET MAKES YOU THE BETTER MAN, RIGHT?JUST LIKE THOSE IDIOTS YESTERDAY!I

What the heck?  More discrimination?

23 minutes ago, FleetwoodMac said:

PISS OFF, FAM!WE ALL KNOW WHAT THE CROATS DID DURING THE WAR!!!!!

!

? Do we?

@FleetwoodMac The "ignore and walk away" advice applies here, too ...

Try to ignore those comments. I know what it feels like to get verbally abused.

I'm happy that I don't have to deal with that any more without being able to just walk away.

33 minutes ago, FleetwoodMac said:

I DIDN'T MUMBLE!!!!!!!!I SAID IT LOUD AND CLEAR WITH A QUESTION MARK!!!!!THE GUY SAW ME BEFORE HAND WHEN I WAS RIGHT BEHIND HIS MATE!!!!!!!ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS HERE ARE FROM MEN, CLEARLY NOT KNOWING WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT!!!!!BASHING A LITTLE GIRL OVER THE INTERNET MAKES YOU THE BETTER MAN, RIGHT?JUST LIKE THOSE IDIOTS YESTERDAY!I WILL NOT STAY SILENT WHEN I AM CALLED A "WHORE" FOR WALKING ON THE BLOODY PAVEMENT!!!PISS OFF, FAM!WE ALL KNOW WHAT THE CROATS DID DURING THE WAR!!!!!

jesus chill the fuck out

guess what, a man is able and actually entitled to make a comment that disagrees with your viewpoint without being "just like those idiots yesterday!"  it's not a zero sum game.

eta: I don't agree with the first half of his comment, by the way, but turning this into an anti-man thing is just ridiculous

2 hours ago, Acton said:

I can't believe that this sort of thing happens on a regular basis. I have been in Germany for more than 20 years and have never witnessed a violent incident. London was a different story, especially after the pubs closed.

Once in Saxon Anhalt, I heard a couple of men screaming at each other, and as I got closer, I realised they were screaming in English. Another time, a man got very annoyed on the underground because he wanted his window open and a young man tried to close it over his head without asking permission., He was also English and told the German youth to move to a different place if he felt uncomfortable. "This is MY window!!".

Not exactly the stuff of violence.

Another mid-size town I used to live in in Germany had a British garrison (now since closed). The only trouble/violence I ever witnessed was due to these chuckleheads getting completely shitfaced Friday/Saturday nights. At first, they weren't always so bad (I recall once chatting rugby for a couple hours with a soldier from Fiji, somehow doing training with the local Brits there) but by the end of the night, a few of them would end up in fights, sometimes with each other. From what I witnessed, very few of the local girls ever showed any interest... Hard to imagine why not. If we saw a British army vehicle with 'Military Police' markings waiting outside a pub or club, we'd know to skip that particular venue for the night. 

48 minutes ago, alderhill said:

Another mid-size town I used to live in in Germany had a British garrison (now since closed). The only trouble/violence I ever witnessed was due to these chuckleheads getting completely shitfaced Friday/Saturday nights. At first, they weren't always so bad (I recall once chatting rugby for a couple hours with a soldier from Fiji, somehow doing training with the local Brits there) but by the end of the night, a few of them would end up in fights, sometimes with each other. From what I witnessed, very few of the local girls ever showed any interest... Hard to imagine why not. If we saw a British army vehicle with 'Military Police' markings waiting outside a pub or club, we'd know to skip that particular venue for the night. 

Standard weekend in NRW, there were always bars that banned BAOR. It wasn't just in the north, I believe the US forces were just as bad.

3 hours ago, FleetwoodMac said:

BASHING A LITTLE GIRL OVER THE INTERNET MAKES YOU THE BETTER MAN, RIGHT?

Honey bunny, you're not a little girl, you're an adult woman...

Shite happens...

There were eleventeen British movies with a "Carry on... bla bla bla" title. I can look up the collectors DVD edition on amazon, if you like,