Got attacked by two Croatians in Unterhaching

166 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, hooperski said:

Although you were there and I wasn't, I doubt that they were Croatians. People don't usually swear in another language, but nearly always in their mother tongue.

The state of things in London at the moment, especially Croydon, maybe you're better off where you are.

Although men treating women like that is never acceptable.

Just googled:

https://www.mylondon.news/all-about/crime

Horrifying stuff. It even includes a police officer sacked for a rape..jeez.

1 hour ago, FleetwoodMac said:

Also I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience. Aggressive behaviour for nothing.

only once, really.  Truly for nothing

I was at my local Rewe, walked around the end of one of the rows, and turned the corner.  An older, scraggly man stopped dead in his tracks, pulled back and glared at me 

"ach - DU RUSSIN!" (yeah, I've got a russian thing going in this thread)  then he started kind of bobbing back and forth as if we were going to duke it out.  I just gave him the eye and walked away.

it was completely bizarre.  But since I'd seen this same guy having loud arguments with empty cars parked along the street, I wasn't that freaked out ;) 

aside from that, yeah, the occasional person pissed at me because I didn't cross the street to their liking or whatever.  The point is, unless you have done something truly egregious, it's not worth worrying about it.  Sometimes it is helpful as you can discover when when you have done something offensive, but normally it's really nothing.  It's not you, it's them.  Just move on.

Same here in our area of Crete! The Albanians are looked down upon by Greeks... " they have no culture." The Albanians started coming here 20 years ago and offered their time as " all rounders." They learnt by doing but were not qualified. Small Greek companies no longer bother with apprenticeships. So most of those you call to do some work in the sun  are Albanians, who are a clique to themselves. 

If a Greek turns up with them, he is the one sitting legs wide  apart, smoking and barking orders!:D

No real trouble, though.(Though behind the scenes, everybody knows there are semi-professional..because nothing is THAT professional here:lol:... Mafia-like structures )..

All the Albanians we know (quite a lot ) are pretty cool with dogs! Hey, Brownie points!!!

By the by, I don´t offer Greek private health insurance here to Greeks  because:

a) they wouldn´t pay and b):

B)B) one of the questions to the broker is: " to the best of your knowledge, is your client a member or not of the Greek mafia?"

WTF???

:D

2 hours ago, pmd said:

Coincidentally, today I was told by a four year old to stop speaking English to my daughter when I collected her from Kita..

If it were me I’d have asked that child if he/she can speak English and then tell him/her that my child can speak German, English, and other languages. It would not be right to talk to a child like that, but this thinking that little children must be taught the German language first before any other language is ignorant. Children who live here will eventually learn the language when they go to kindergarten. This is how language acquisition works. But many Germans seem to not know this. And they pass on their ignorant beliefs to their children. Same goes to racists and those who discriminate. It all starts at home. 

4 hours ago, FleetwoodMac said:

Rant:

I am from Croydon, London. That said, absolutely nothing can shock me...untill 20 min. ago...

Walking on the pavement in Unterhaching I got called "English whore, fucking bitch, something bad is gonna happen to you, fuck you, etc ".  Why? Because I was trying to go around an obese man amd his friend, taking up all of the space and walking on zigzag. At the end  I just said "sorry" and manage to squize on the side. What followed was shouting behind my back in Croation ( I know exactly how it sounds due to my neighbours ) with the occasional German slur. I turned and said " sorry, were you talking to me" and he proceeded to tell me how he does not have eyes on his back and I should have said something ( which I did, I said "sorry"), I argured that they should not take all of the pavement , considering it is quite busy at the moment, to which he said it is a free country, I am noone to tell him where to walk, again I did not say where he should be walking, I've made a remark about the fact they were taking up all the space, which by the way was more for the obese man to be honest. I would have leave it at there if he didn't start making personal threats. The "English whore" and "English fucking whore" was thrown around at least 8 times, "Fuck you", " I will rape you", "Somethint bad is going to happen to you" at this point I already started walking away, but the insults didn't stop, they continued in both German and Croation, whith them shouting "This is Germany, you should speak German, you fucking whore", I managed to go up some stairs , quite shaken and turned to see if they are still following me, just to see some old guy, obviously walking behind us, just staring at me, while the Croations continued swearing , but at this point were out of side. I called the police right there and then, because was shaking like a leaf...They took all the details, but of course said chances if finding them are slim...I  utterly shocked...Is it because of Brexit, because I wasn't call just whore, they emphasized on the word "English" quite a lot...Anyone else got verbally attacked for something so small as to ask people (normally, I had absolutely no aggression in my words of "sorry") to move aside. I expect the "This is Germany, you should speak German" from Germans to be honest, not from immigrants...Whatever...

p.s. typing from phone, sorry for misspellings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDG2m5hN1vo

Sorry to hear about that..we all have that kind of nonsense to put up with in life sometimes.

Have some Fleetwood Mac! Brings back memories to this oldie here!

:Dll

42 minutes ago, john g. said:

Just googled:

https://www.mylondon.news/all-about/crime

Horrifying stuff. It even includes a police officer sacked for a rape..jeez.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/new-crime-map-reveals-croydon-15465063

I think couple of years back we were number 1...

Also:

He got three years after appeal, given only a suspend sentense on first hearing.

That was the one I witnessed:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6518107/croydon-stabbing-sainsburys-george-street/

And 2 days ago they stabbed a pregnant woman (8 months) to death...

I know it can be waaaay worse than people calling me "English whore".

42 minutes ago, john g. said:
41 minutes ago, john g. said:

1 hour ago, Zandood said:

31 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

only once, really.  Truly for nothing

I was at my local Rewe, walked around the end of one of the rows, and turned the corner.  An older, scraggly man stopped dead in his tracks, pulled back and glared at me 

"ach - DU RUSSIN!" (yeah, I've got a russian thing going in this thread)  then he started kind of bobbing back and forth as if we were going to duke it out.  I just gave him the eye and walked away.

it was completely bizarre.  But since I'd seen this same guy having loud arguments with empty cars parked along the street, I wasn't that freaked out ;) 

aside from that, yeah, the occasional person pissed at me because I didn't cross the street to their liking or whatever.  The point is, unless you have done something truly egregious, it's not worth worrying about it.  Sometimes it is helpful as you can discover when when you have done something offensive, but normally it's really nothing.  It's not you, it's them.  Just move on.

Thank you very much for sharing!

8 minutes ago, thegreatdivide said:

If it were me I’d have asked that child if he/she can speak English and then tell him/her that my child can speak German, English, and other languages. It would not be right to talk to a child like that, but this thinking that little children must be taught the German language first before any other language is ignorant. Children who live here will eventually learn the language when they go to kindergarten. This is how language acquisition works. But many Germans seem to not know this. And they pass on their ignorant beliefs to their children. Same goes to racists and those who discriminate. It all starts at home. 

I agree with you.

Perhaps they were on a day trip out from Berlin?

People here do feel a strong sense of ownership of the immediate space they are stood on the pavement and get quite bolshy if you ask then to move. Many shoping bags, a large and unwieldy box picked up from from the post office, a wriigling and cryimg child are not seen  as reasons for people to stop their conversation for 30 secs to let you past. 

10 minutes ago, thegreatdivide said:

True story ..my daughter is bilingual Spanish and English and when she was 5, I took her on a Dad/daughter holiday to Mallorca. And there was this small pool table near the pool and I showed her what the game was and how to hold the cue etc. She loved it and couldn´t leave the table!

A boy came along..can´t remember the nationality but he didn´t speak Spanish or English  but my daughter patiently explained him some stuff.

Then another boy came along---no idea anymore where from and my daughter again spoke patiently in Spanish and in some English  and it took a while but a little game ensured.

Then, yet another boy came along..and my daughter snapped...(in Spanish )...translation more or less: " before we start, do you bloody (joder )  speak Spanish or not?

:D

(PS: the Spanish.." joder " is a bit more than " bloody" )!!!!

Hilarious...you can´t blame the kids....

4 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Perhaps they were on a day trip out from Berlin?

People here do feel a strong sense of ownership of the immediate space they are stood on the pavement and get quite bolshy if you ask then to move. Many shoping bags, a large and unwieldy box picked up from from the post office, a wriigling and cryimg child are not seen  as reasons for people to stop their conversation for 30 secs to let you past. 

Hmmm, really?

Haven't been to Berlin, but will keep this in mind when we visit!

13 minutes ago, FleetwoodMac said:

Ah, one of my fav! Cheers!

Your moniker name is a giveaway!!!

:lol:

3 minutes ago, FleetwoodMac said:

Hmmm, really?

Best just to take a different path. 

19 minutes ago, FleetwoodMac said:

Hmmm, really?

Just listening to a Carlos Santana/John Lee hooker concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIemkpnMCvg

..which reminded me!

When I was 20, I was in California in the old hippy days (and I was an illegal immigrant! ) and I went into a bar and saw a juke box. Now, it was a " chicano " bar ( back then, it meant..Spanish-speaking/Mexican /first or second generation etc ) but I had no idea. And I was about to play something Anglo on the juke box and I can´t remember who or why but someone older came up to me and said " don´t do it, man. Wrong bar. Do Santana ".

I didn´t know who Santana was but I agreed with him.(Fear!).

So I put on Santana and then the scowls disappeared and sort of " hey man, where are you from?"

And I lived to tell the tale!!

All comments aside, time to look at the learning curve. What would you do differently next time?

I would suggest ignoring them completely and just moving on but not directly to your house where they might follow you. If possible, head for the next police station or into a store or cafe.

There is learning in everything. I find that such assholes hate being ignored more than anything.

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

All comments aside, time to look at the learning curve. What would you do differently next time?

I would suggest ignoring them completely and just moving on but not directly to your house where they might follow you. If possible, head for the next police station or into a store or cafe.

There is learning in everything. I find that such assholes hate being ignored more than anything.

It was a bit scary because it happened under a bridge. I had the sense to go up a staircase leading to some flat buildings instead of using the one (stairase) leading directly towards the station (a very narrow and long path, usually no people around,  you can literally kill someone, no one will know for days), and hide behind an enormous bush, I could still hear them , but they couldn't see me, so it was then when I called the police. I was thinking of calling while he was still yelling, but was affraid he may grab the phone out of my hands.

Next time will cross the street, turn back or not go in a remote area ( I do not take this path anyway, it was due to a circumstance ). I wanted to ignore, but sometimes can't practice self meditation, maybe working a bit more...ah wait! Will have my headphones on, Fleetwood Mac album of course, if they call me names, won't hear, won't get angry, won't respond. Problem solved!

1 hour ago, thegreatdivide said:

Funny thing is that this child speaks English and another non-European language at home. What perhaps happened was he was not speaking German in Kita and maybe got told off by one of the Erzieherin?  Anyway, I just politely answered him that I can speak to my daughter in English in the Kita because I am her Papa.

My wife and I are bringing up our two children bilingually - I speak nothing but English and she speaks nothing but German to them. I haven't had any problems speaking English to them in public - sometimes you get a bit of a gawp but it is just curiosity I suppose. 

44 minutes ago, john g. said:

Just listening to a Carlos Santana/John Lee hooker concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIemkpnMCvg

..which reminded me!

When I was 20, I was in California in the old hippy days (and I was an illegal immigrant! ) and I went into a bar and saw a juke box. Now, it was a " chicano " bar ( back then, it meant..Spanish-speaking/Mexican /first or second generation etc ) but I had no idea. And I was about to play something Anglo on the juke box and I can´t remember who or why but someone older came up to me and said " don´t do it, man. Wrong bar. Do Santana ".

I didn´t know who Santana was but I agreed with him.(Fear!).

So I put on Santana and then the scowls disappeared and sort of " hey man, where are you from?"

And I lived to tell the tale!!

Try Paco De Lucia (you probably know him, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s