Got attacked by two Croatians in Unterhaching

166 posts in this topic

Rant:

I am from Croydon, London. That said, absolutely nothing can shock me...untill 20 min. ago....

Walking on the pavement in Unterhaching I got called "English whore, fucking bitch, something bad is gonna happen to you, fuck you, etc ".  Why? Because I was trying to go around an obese man amd his friend, taking up all of the space and walking on zigzag. At the end  I just said "sorry" and manage to squize on the side. What followed was shouting behind my back in Croation ( I know exactly how it sounds due to my neighbours ) with the occasional German slur. I turned and said " sorry, were you talking to me" and he proceeded to tell me how he does not have eyes on his back and I should have said something ( which I did, I said "sorry"), I argured that they should not take all of the pavement , considering it is quite busy at the moment, to which he said it is a free country, I am noone to tell him where to walk, again I did not say where he should be walking, I've made a remark about the fact they were taking up all the space, which by the way was more for the obese man to be honest. I would have leave it at there if he didn't start making personal threats. The "English whore" and "English fucking whore" was thrown around at least 8 times, "Fuck you", " I will rape you", "Somethint bad is going to happen to you" at this point I already started walking away, but the insults didn't stop, they continued in both German and Croation, whith them shouting "This is Germany, you should speak German, you fucking whore", I managed to go up some stairs , quite shaken and turned to see if they are still following me, just to see some old guy, obviously walking behind us, just staring at me, while the Croations continued swearing , but at this point were out of side. I called the police right there and then, because was shaking like a leaf...They took all the details, but of course said chances if finding them are slim...I  utterly shocked...Is it because of Brexit, because I wasn't call just whore, they emphasized on the word "English" quite a lot....Anyone else got verbally attacked for something so small as to ask people (normally, I had absolutely no aggression in my words of "sorry") to move aside. I expect the "This is Germany, you should speak German" from Germans to be honest, not from immigrants....Whatever...

p.s. typing from phone, sorry for misspellings....

Unfortunately, I think it's more because you're a woman and dared to question a Croat (eastern European). I'm sure you know that this is not a very frequent event. Don't expect the police to do anything - if they're anything like the ones around here. Me thinks you need to sit down with someone and go through the events, don't bottle it up but let it out.

As for Croats telling you to speak German I find it ironic that they spoke in their native tongue. Next thing, think how you might handle such abusive behaviour in the future.

Sorry to hear this, but methinks French Bean is correct, nothing to do with you being english but more a thing of you being a woman. Evidently these guys didn´t get the memo that we are in the 21st century.

I'm not from England, yet I have been called that 1001 times in Germany (usually not in a hostile context!), because for a lot of people "Speaking English? Must be from England." I wouldn't let that part of this consume you too much. I doubt your average beer-swilling piece of dirty street furniture knows much about the world.

Their behaviour is disgusting, but I doubt it's very specific or earnest. In them there's probably a lot of the kind of bottled-up misogyny and resentment typical of fat boozy losers, which has little to do with you. 

40 minutes ago, French bean said:

I think it's more because you're a woman and dared to question a Croat (eastern European).

Holy generalization Batman.

Just my opinion on having to deal with people from all sorts of backgrounds and working in and around the East Midlands.

Thank you very much for all of your responses!!!

I decided to write here mostly to get it out my chest!

I do think that it had more with the fact that I am a woman ( and physycally much smaller than them, that is why I felt so intimidated ). While they were swearing in German ( I am studying at the moment, but am a beginner, so I can' t understand everything ), the main aggressor said something like " blabla, that is why I hate all women, blabla". 

I haven't had bad experiences at all with eastern euro men.  It might help that they were all programmers or similar, but I really enjoyed working with them.

perhaps unexpectedly, at least with the above stated stereotype in mind, they were on par more respectful and fair with me as a coworker than many non-eastern-euro men.  Same with the Russian coworkers.  

having some of them look me up and down regularly took some getting used to though.  I asked a close friend of mine, who is Serbian, what that is about (he does it to me too) and he was downright shocked as he didn't even realize he did that.  He told me to tell him when he did it so he could train himself out of it :) 

Anyway that never went anywhere remotely uncomfortable with any of them, overall they were great.

22 minutes ago, FleetwoodMac said:

While they were swearing in German

Although you were there and I wasn't, I doubt that they were Croatians. People don't usually swear in another language, but nearly always in their mother tongue.

The state of things in London at the moment, especially Croydon, maybe you're better off where you are.

Although men treating women like that is never acceptable.

44 minutes ago, slammer said:

Sorry to hear this, but methinks French Bean is correct, nothing to do with you being english but more a thing of them being assholes

fify

16 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I haven't had bad experiences at all with eastern euro men.  It might help that they were all programmers or similar, but I really enjoyed working with them.

perhaps unexpectedly, at least with the above stated stereotype in mind, they were on par more respectful and fair with me as a coworker than many non-eastern-euro men.  Same with the Russian coworkers.  

My experience is the opposite, especially with Russians. Always trying to blame others for their mistakes. Always trying to avoid work.

damn - I must have got lucky :)  

The Russians I worked with were especially smart and really diligent.  Professional craftsmen of the highest caliber.  I really miss working with them.  

regardless, there are great people and assholes and everything in between all over the world.  It's just that way.

Wow. What is this topic? And exercise in generalizations over entire nations? Especially funny when the said generalization is done over a nation consisting of 100+ million people.

Some statements here sound very similar to the cold war era propaganda leaflets.

18 minutes ago, JCrichton said:

Wow. What is this topic? And exercise in generalizations over entire nations? Especially funny when the said generalization is done over a nation consisting of 100+ million people.

Some statements here sound very similar to the cold war era propaganda leaflets.

Do you work with many people from other countries / cultures?

OP, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have the feeling that even if you had said 'Entschuldigung', they still would have been abusive to you (albeit maybe not to the same degree).

Coincidentally, today I was told by a four year old to stop speaking English to my daughter when I collected her from Kita..

45 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Although you were there and I wasn't, I doubt that they were Croatians. People don't usually swear in another language, but nearly always in their mother tongue.

The state of things in London at the moment, especially Croydon, maybe you're better off where you are.

Although men treating women like that is never acceptable.

They spoke three languages - Croatian, English (with eastern accent), German (again with an accent, but my ear is not trained as to point exactly what kind of). I know they spoke Croatian because as I've explained in my first post, my current neighbours are from Croatia. They are not quiet people and now, after a year living next to them, I can recognize the language. They were swearing primarily in Croation with simple German swears, also the english "english whore". The line "you are in Germany, you should speak German" was said in German. I think they were switching between languages so I can't understand and be confussed by most of the things they've said, but I knew they were swearing when yelling in Croation because I know the word "kurwa" from Polish friends, also the tone, you can always say when someone is swearing at you.

I didn't start this post to bash people, don't get me wrong. It was really as a self-therapy. One of my husband's colleagues is from Croatia and he is the sweetest person ever.

Also I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience. Aggressive behaviour for nothing. Again, I did not yell first, I did not say anything disrespectful to anyone, I just said "sorry" and tried to overtake them, so I can catch my train. They one making the threats thought I am German, because he said something like "you should say something in advance" in German, followed by the word "kurwa". Since I know what that word means, I could not let it go.This behaviour means that if I was a German woman he would have reacted the same way, which is rediculous since he is a foreigner here and should respect the host country and the host people.

I know it is bad in Croydon, that is why my husband and I decided to move to Germany. A guy got stabbed in the face/head in front of me, midday, next to Barclays Bank, Wellesley Road, around 60 other witnesses. That is why I am not easily shocked, but this did shock me because it is Unterhaching, Germany. Never have had a bad experience in the German suburbs before.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

38 minutes ago, French bean said:

In fact, I am. I worked overseas even before I got to Germany. And now in the Uni I get to see people from all over the world in the same lecture hall. That's including Asians, Indians, Eastern Europeans, Germans of course.

There is no way to generalize people even within the same faculty, yet here people place labels over entire nations.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

I absolutely agree with JCrichton. Generalizing is the worst kind. There are kind people and idiots everywhere.

I am sorry that you had to go through that experience.

It is clearly unacceptable behavior. However, we are grown up people here, at least I hope so. Luckily, you are in Germany, which means that all you need to do is to pull out your phone and call the police. This kind of offensive behavior can easily land a 2000+ Euros fine. It is much more efficient than descending to the same level.