Good store for craft beer in Frankfurt-Rhein-Main?

13 posts in this topic

While I love German beer, I also miss some of the more experimental brews that smaller US breweries produce.  In May, I took a trip to Riga and stopped in to Alus Celle, a cool beer store/bar with more craft emphasis, and I remembered what I was missing.

I know and love Maruhn down in Pfungstadt, which has a great selection, but even there the emphasis is on more traditional beers.  I've heard of Die Berotek but haven't gotten there yet.

Would love to hear recommendations for (or against) other places around the area, especially if I am missing something around Wiesbaden (where we live) or Mainz.

Thanks!

I'm with you my friend.  I come from Austin, TX which is (according to some)  the craft beer capital of the world.  There even a crappy dive bar will have 40 taps.  It's pretty slim pickings in these parts.   Seems like finding craft beer in stores is not too hard.  The Kaufland I go to stocks Stone Ripper which is currently my favorite.  Getting it in bars is difficult.  Naïv is a good place to go in Frankfurt.  I also go to a place in Aschaffenburg called the Union.  Owned by an Aussie and he understands beer.  I've heard of a place called Le Petit Belge in Wiesbaden if you like Belgian Beer.

45 minutes ago, Buzznut3000 said:

I've heard of a place called Le Petit Belge in Wiesbaden if you like Belgian Beer.

It's a good one.  Been there for a work lunch but definitely need to go back for a non-working dinner.

Definitely need to get to Naiv - thanks!

I think Naiv recently opened a second location in Mainz. Not sure if that one's just a restaurant or if they also have a store like the one here in Frankfurt. If so, worth checking out. They also put on some nice tasting events. The Bierothek is good in that it has some options which you are not going to find in other places and the guy behind the counter is helpful, but it's not a huge selection and can be pricey. And, as random as it may sound, someone recently told me that Kiosk 45 here in Frankfurt has the best craft beer selection they had seen yet, but as I haven't yet had a chance to check it out for myself, I can't make any promises. Otherwise, all I can say is that I feel your pain. Things have improved dramatically since I moved here 12 years ago, but the pace has been oh so slow.

This is a little bit further away but...in Mannheim there is a place called Upper Glass. It has craft beer from Sweden, UK, and USA among other places. They also usually have 2-3 beers on tap so you can take a growler home. And they let you taste before buying :)  It has a great variety of offerings and are ok priced. They even have my favorite beer from Virginia from a brewer called Aslin (IPA called 'Beer Drinking is Not a Crime') in Mannheim is a bar called Tap Room with a lot of good beer as well.

In Mainz, you can got to Kuehn Kunz Rosen for good beer: IPA, lager and often a rotating tap. It's quite tasty as well. The brewery has a more American feel, which I like. They have events as well year round. Drinking Bitburger all the time can get exhausting. Also in Mainz is Sixties and they usually have about 20-30 different bottled craft beers.

Side note: I usually just bring beer back from the US whenever I am on a business trip. usually cheaper and then I can really try a variety of beers :)

There are large Rewes here in Frankfurt that stock special beers. The one in Ostend by the ECB is especially good. Hit in Frankfurt also stocks a few interesting ones, and I have seen little fridges in various Rewes with some interesting beers.

I also recommend buying from Crew Republic. They ship to you so it's really easy, and they have a great selection: https://crewrepublic.de/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgezoBRDNARIsAGzEfe6bwk7QY0TFboRgSsuF26g2h_DyQb2xK6nHbU4WAMJhA5sTJo3zjcAaAlGgEALw_wcB

Marktkaufs in nicer neighborhoods also have a craft beer end, but you have to know that it's located in the wine department and not on the beer aisle.

American craft beers are garbage compared to German beers.  IPA's are for hipsters with no taste.

14 hours ago, hasenpfad1 said:

American craft beers are garbage compared to German beers.

I respectfully disagree.  While German beer is good, it's gotten static.  Innovation is discouraged.  If you want something different, you need to go find it, like Rauchbier in Bamberg or Altbier in Düsseldorf.

14 hours ago, hasenpfad1 said:

IPA's are for hipsters with no taste.

If your assumption is that "craft beer" and "IPA" are interchangeable terms, then I have good news: they aren't.

Small craft breweries in the US are experimenting and bringing back German regional specialties that have all but died out in Germany.  And while I'll grant you that Rauchbier is better in Bamberg than anyplace I've tried it in the US, at least American breweries appreciate are pushing to bring Rauchbier to a wider audience.

And, oh by the way, there are German craft breweries out there, as younger brewers push the envelope.

Either way, while you're free to express your opinion on things, I came here to ask where I can find different beers, not for your opinion on them.  It's like asking someone in the street directions to the airport and getting a grumbling lecture on how everyone should take the train more.  Yeah, thanks for that, but that's not what I asked, and you're not being helpful.

For everyone other than @hasenpfad1, thanks very much for your help!

There is a reason beer consumption is going down in Germany (especially among younger people).   There is just nothing interesting about drinking the same 3 or 4 varieties of beer that your parents drink.  Brewers embraced the Reinheitsgebot awhile back to help stop English imports from taking over.  It worked in the short term but long term its going to kill the industry.

23 hours ago, Buzznut3000 said:

There is a reason beer consumption is going down in Germany (especially among younger people).   There is just nothing interesting about drinking the same 3 or 4 varieties of beer that your parents drink.  Brewers embraced the Reinheitsgebot awhile back to help stop English imports from taking over.  It worked in the short term but long term its going to kill the industry.

I'll drink to that. Boring as batshit generally. I miss the selection we had in my wine shop in Melbourne, Australia.

On 7/10/2019, 9:20:17, Neudarmstaedter said:

Has someone mentioned Maruhn in Darmstadt/Pfungstadt? http://maruhn-welt-der-getraenke.de/

Yes, in my original post.  :)  But it's worth another plug.

On 7/1/2019, 8:24:09, rose.anna said:

I think Naiv recently opened a second location in Mainz.

I went down to Mainz today and discovered it's changed into just a cafe.  Bummer.