Salary negotiation post job interview?

3 posts in this topic

I'm currently planning a relocation between two cities and just completed a round of interviews with a few companies, and received two offers, one of which I'm fairly happy about. Thing is, during the interview they asked me what my current salary was, which only lied a little (i.e. fairly accurate) and their offer reflected literally that number (€2700 brutto, I'm in architecture if anyone might know the standard for that) - i.e. no proposed salary raise. (unrelated question, but I have a feeling that is NOT a good sign...?)

Anyway, when they told me this over the phone I just kind of went "oh cool" and asked for a few days to consider my options. The other offer (in a city that I less prefer) has a higher salary proposed. Given these circumstances, and given that I'm a junior applicant (recent M.Sc.) with probably no leveraging, how likely is it that I mention the competing job offer and request a slightly higher salary (i.e. €3000), and they laugh and rescind the offer?

Happy to provide more info as needed; thanks for the feedback!

As long as you approach it with the right attitude then there is nothing wrong with asking for more. 

Just tell them honestly that you have received another offer which is higher (they might not believe you of course!).  Or just say that you are very interested but would be looking for a slightly higher offer.  They might or might not raise their offer.  They will also have a budget which they expect to be met, so if you are at the top end of this then it might not be possible.

If they are not so positive you could suggest that you get a pay rise after your probation period.  I once had a company offer my slightly less than my current salary at first but with a raise after the probation period which I was willing to accept.  Best of course in this case to make sure that this is written in your contract, including the amount of the raise.  

3 hours ago, Pandekage said:

a slightly higher salary

I dont think 10% is slightly higher.

laugh and rescind the offer

They wont, they might say its 2700 take it or leave it but they are unlikely to drop the offer unless you do something excessive.  Telling them you had a better offer but would like to work for them, could they maybe match the other offer is not excessive.

I have a feeling that is NOT a good sign

I dont think you can read to much into it.  If they normally pay juniors say 2500 and you said you are on 2700 they may have decided its worth matching it but they cannot justify giving you more.

The fact another company in another city pays more doesnt tell you much about the current salaries for your preferd job.

Have you checked http://salaries.archinect.com ? It seems junior architects in Berlin (not sure if thats where you want to work?) can expect to earn between about 20k-35k.