Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin -> Isle of man TT course

22 posts in this topic

Hello TT,

As a petrolhead, one of my bucket list ideas is to drive the famous TT course with my car. Latest life events made it so that I will have the whole month of July completely off.

Has anyone here done this before ie. drive from Germany to Isle of Man? Did you drive of take the ferry and how was the experience on the TT?

22 minutes ago, xcxvt said:

Did you drive of take the ferry and how was the experience on the TT?

Are you wanting to drive the TT using a submarine or a car?

Have you got one of these;

5d14d0796c24e_yellowsubmarine.png.7ae662

If you ain't then how else are you going to get there without using a ferry or a train for the EU to UK trip let alone the Isle of Man crossing?

1 minute ago, Sir Percy B said:

Are you wanting to drive the TT using a submarine or a car?

I bet you've got one of these;

5d14d0796c24e_yellowsubmarine.png.7ae662

If you ain't then how else are you going to get there without using a ferry?

well, my first option would be Berlin to Amsterdam by car, take the ferry to Newcastle, drive to Heysham and then take another ferry to Douglas. Or, the second option which is drive from Berlin to Calais, take the Eurotunnel to Folkestone, drive to Liverpool and take the ferry to Douglas.

So I was curious if anyone has ever done this before.

PS: I do not own a submarine nor do I want to drive it on the TT course :D

3 minutes ago, xcxvt said:

well, my first option would be Berlin to Amsterdam by car, take the ferry to Newcastle, drive to Heysham and then take another ferry to Douglas. Or, the second option which is drive from Berlin to Calais, take the Eurotunnel to Folkestone, drive to Liverpool and take the ferry to Douglas.

So I was curious if anyone has ever done this before.

It has been a few years since I took a vehicle to the IOM but I understand that ferries to and fro from Liverpool are fairly limited these days. The only way to experience the TT course is on a motorcycle, preferably during TT week when they make some sections one way, driving it in a car just doesn't cut it.;)

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

It has been a few years since I took a vehicle to the IOM but I understand that ferries to and fro from Liverpool are fairly limited these days. The only way to experience the TT course is on a motorcycle, preferably during TT week when they make some sections one way, driving it in a car just doesn't cut it.;)

Yeah, I have to agree there. I can always rent a bike once there I guess but I have to also drive it in my car :D I just have to :) 

23 minutes ago, xcxvt said:

Without a doubt the Calais route is the quickest and most probably the cheapest.

Your other problem is getting a booking for the ferry to Newcastle as you are already into the holiday period for some states in Germany and in 2 weeks the UK will be in full swing along with most of the EU.

As the other poster mentioned you might also find booking on the Douglas route will be limited not only due to availability but also timing with the holidays as it's very short notice

What would be your preference, drive straight through to Calais and onto Liverpool or take a stopover somewhere?

A bunch of friends and I rode our motorcycles from Stuttgart to the IoM for the TT races in June '95 and '96. Especially the first year we went was a lot of fun. We rode up to Ostende in two days (stayed overnight at friend's house midway in Bonn) and took the ferry over to Dover. Then spent a couple of days in London before going up to Fleetwood, which is north of Liverpool. From there we took a ferry to Douglas. We spent a week on the IoM at a homestay before taking the ferry back to Liverpool and then riding over to Hull, and from there sailing to Rotterdam. Once in Holland, we rode back down to Stuttgart in one stretch (was a long day!).

It was a great time and we met a lot of cool people. The first year it also only rained once during the entire time. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of lunatics attending the races each year too, so fatalities among the visitors as well as the racers themselves are inevitable. However, I believe things in July should be much tamer.

I would definitely recommend going there once. There is a fair amount to do for a week's stay, especially if some sort of event is being held. And driving with the car from Berlin to the Isle of Man should not be a problem, you would just need to map out a route and determine an ideal ferry crossing. Go for it!

1 minute ago, Ralf said:

A bunch of friends and I rode our motorcycles from Stuttgart to the IoM for the TT races in June '95 and '96. Especially the first year we went was a lot of fun. We rode up to Ostende in two days (stayed overnight at friend's house midway in Bonn) and took the ferry over to Dover. Then spent a couple of days in London before going up to Fleetwood, which is north of Liverpool. From there we took a ferry to Douglas. We spent a week on the IoM at a homestay before taking the ferry back to Liverpool and then riding over to Hull, and from there sailing to Rotterdam. Once in Holland, we rode back down to Stuttgart in one stretch (was a long day!).

It was a great time and we met a lot of cool people. The first year it also only rained once during the entire time. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of lunatics attending the races each year too, so fatalities among the visitors as well as the racers themselves are inevitable. However, I believe things in July should be much tamer.

I would definitely recommend going there once. There is a fair amount to do for a week's stay, especially if some sort of event is being held. And driving with the car from Berlin to the Isle of Man should not be a problem, you would just need to map out a route and determine an ideal ferry crossing. Go for it!

That's why I'm here, to get opinions on how to best go about it. BTW, could you elaborate on the "fair amount to do for a week's stay"?

9 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Without a doubt the Calais route is the quickest and most probably the cheapest.

Your other problem is getting a booking for the ferry to Newcastle as you are already into the holiday period for some states in Germany and in 2 weeks the UK will be in full swing along with most of the EU.

As the other poster mentioned you might also find booking on the Douglas route will be limited not only due to availability but also timing with the holidays as it's very short notice

What would be your preference, drive straight through to Calais and onto Liverpool or take a stopover somewhere?

Out of the two I'd probably go with the ferry because I have less to drive and will therefore be more rested when I arrive. I've also never been on a ferry with a car in my life, so that's a pretty exciting thing to do :). Apart from that, everything else is the same in terms of costs.

Regarding the stopover, I can very well drive from Berlin to Calais and cross the channel in about 9hours. So maybe I should spend the night somewhere around Folkestone and start driving to Liverpool in the early morning. I should be there by 1pm if I start driving at 7am I guess. That would basically mean I could be in Douglas by the afternoon, park the car, checkin at the hotel, see the city and whatnot and drive the TT course the next day, fresh, rested, lower chances of an accident. 

The Hull to Rotterdam leg was also very nice because it's overnight and we were able to enjoy a pint or two in the evening before turning in and getting some sleep before the long ride back in the morning. If money's no object, conceivable would also be flying into Douglas, but then you'd definitely have to rent a vehicle, preferably a motorcycle ;) 

8 minutes ago, Ralf said:

The Hull to Rotterdam leg was also very nice because it's overnight and we were able to enjoy a pint or two in the evening before turning in and getting some sleep before the long ride back in the morning. If money's no object, conceivable would also be flying into Douglas, but then you'd definitely have to rent a vehicle, preferably a motorcycle ;) 

hehe, I'll probably rent one too :)

btw, do you know if you can rent the clothes too (helmet, jacket, pads, etc)?

Well it's been a while since I was there and we were there primarily for the races, which are a real thrill. Of course being able to ride the course yourself without any speed limits outside of the towns is quite an experience too, but caution is also advised.

However, off the top of my head I would suggest:

The night life in Douglas, enjoying the many pubs (Bushy's)

Castletown and Peel Castle 

The Snaefell Mountain Railway

Port of Ayre Lighthouse

You could possibly rent the gear there, but you'd have to get in touch with the provider though. I believe policies vary from shop shop.

Of course space during the race weeks in June is all booked out well in advance (we in fact booked the ferries and lodging a year in advance), but July ought to be much more relaxed and doable.

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Wearing rental leathers and helmets. Just Yeeeewwwww!

Just shower in the evenings and down a couple pints of Bushy's beer :D

Do they still have "mad Sunday"  at the start of the race week?

Where you're allowed to drive your motorbike on the course 

at any speed you choose ?

Just now, HH_Sailor said:

Do they still have "mad Sunday"  at the start of the race week?

Where you're allowed to drive your motorbike on the course 

at any speed you choose ?

wasn't there no speed limit on the mountain road?

There are (or at least were) no speed limits outside the towns. The difference on "Mad Sunday" was that the roads were no longer two way on that day, but both lanes went in one direction, so that it really was akin to a race for anybody and everyone, hence "Mad Sunday".