Climate change in Germany - Frankfurt 100F on Wed

87 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, slammer said:

Do you have a link to this information?

There is a lot of confusion as to the total amount of reserves. The Saudis are notorious for over estimating the total amount and I would take their results with a pinch of salt. Their largest field, the Ghwar field has been by estimate in decline since 2010 as is the Burgan field in Kuwait since 2005. But even if the earth was a ball of oil covered by a mile of topsoil the environmental impact of burning oil will or is, or has caused climate change. We can argue what will happen first... Will the earth heat up so much that we get parboiled or will the oil run out?

Bugger, I used to be well up on this. There used to be a blog "The Oil Drum" which was all about Peak Oil. I was totally obssessed with it a decade ago. Ghawar as you mention was the last Superfield ever discovered in about 1965. Most people don not realise that there have been no huge fields discovered since. Now back in the day I drove all over it as a leisure explorer - camped hundreds of nights in the desert - only numpty for miles digging fossil shark teeth and petrified wood. The biggest underwater is Safaniya - I scuba dived it to map marine biotopes. 

I think the recent Aramco IPO went tits up because they wouldn't reveal their reserves which tbh I wouldn't reveal to the world either. However it is my opinion that US tech has somehow either hacked their Crays (they had four massive seismic supercomputers) monitoring the situation - the guy sat in the middle like Captain Kirk in a room which looked like out of Dr No - quite a stunning sight for those lucky enough to get through security - or they have tech which scans geological formations remotely.

Check out Zero Hedge for the latest on the oil thing, but also Google "William Engdahl abiotic oil" which is what the Russians discovered - they had 200 papers which discovered that "peak oil" was nonsense and that oil wasn't dead dinosaurs after all. Yeah my jaw dropped also. 

9 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

I think the recent Aramco IPO went tits up because they wouldn't reveal their reserves which tbh I wouldn't reveal to the world either. However it is my opinion that US tech has somehow either hacked their Crays (they had four massive seismic supercomputers) monitoring the situation

Could be that they saw an oil glut and did not want to do the IPO until the spot price was much higher.  

The US is a net exporter of oil and gas now.    Volatility in prices of energy coming from the Middle East will need to be absorbed by European and Asian customers.   

Frankfurt surpassed the all-time record high of 38.8c today.

Not sure what the maximum was but I noticed 39.2c online at 1800.

I can't imagine dealing with those temperatures without AC.  

We have the same here and it is fine.  No AC.  Just a well insulated house with blinds you can close.  Not rocket science.

Also Germany has vertical cooling which only works in well insulated buildings but is much more efficient than AC.  Like underfloor heating in reverse.  Also not rocket science but he ho.

15 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

We have the same here and it is fine.  No AC.  Just a well insulated house with blinds you can close.  Not rocket science.

it's fine at home as I open the windows at night after it's cooled down and close them, and the shades, first thing in the morning before it heats up.  I don't go over 25 degrees in my apartment.

the office is a different story.  It's regularly hitting 35-40 degrees on a day like today.  It's pretty much pointless to be there as my brain just shuts down when it's that hot.  Whatever.  I'm getting paid :/

22 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Also Germany has vertical cooling which only works in well insulated buildings but is much more efficient than AC.  Like underfloor heating in reverse.  Also not rocket science but he ho.

but they have to install that from scratch, right?  meaning, you can't convert the existing plumbing that works for heating to heat in winter and cool in summer, can you?  I think this is the biggest obstacle to ever having universal klima in Germany (or the EU even).  So many old buildings that would be very, very expensive to retrofit, I can't imagine it will be adopted outside of new builds.

On 6/28/2019, 1:17:33, slammer said:

Atomic what? You still Need hydrocarbons to Build and maintain a nuke plant and you  cant drive a truck on atoms. Food, medicine water Transport etc. etc. all depend on oil

atomic power generation.  You seemed concerned that "without a cheap and abundant and scalable source of energy there is no human civilization".  I'm thinking that if all other sources fail, atomic power could be used to produce electricity.  Electricity can be used to provide power for trucks and other things with motors.