Climate change in Germany - Frankfurt 100F on Wed

87 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, yesterday said:

yeah well, I think a lot of people may die over climate change, near the sea etc, but I would imagine that some place will still be a live, Northern Canada, Northern Europe/asia etc - enough will survive that the race will continue.

 

However, drivin home yesterday, with an indicated  outside temperature of 33 degs, yes I did put the A/C on - just adding my bit to climate change.

Oh I don´t doubt that enough will survive, humans are simply too bloody minded to turn their toes up and die, but they won´t be the same, in some way they will have changed, maybe, just maybe this change will be the next step in our evolution.

 

But far, far worst is that you put the AC on at only 33°... YOU MONSTER!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it funny that in Germany everyone is marching over global warming yet they ignore the fact that raising animals for food damages the environment more than just about anything else that we do.  Animal agriculture is the second largest contributor to human-made greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions after fossil fuels and is a leading cause of deforestation, water and air pollution and biodiversity loss.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Buzznut3000 said:

I find it funny that in Germany everyone is marching over global warming yet they ignore the fact that raising animals for food damages the environment more than just about anything else that we do.  Animal agriculture is the second largest contributor to human-made greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions after fossil fuels and is a leading cause of deforestation, water and air pollution and biodiversity loss.

 

Sure, we eat too much meat, but we are an omnivorous specie and we need the animal protein contrary to what the vegans will tell you.    The problem is maybe that we are way too many people and we base our whole economy model in growing.

 

There are things we could do of course, like eating less meat, and specially less red meat, but after that the only solution would be to reduce the population but for that you need lots of time and the most difficult part, to change our economy model.

 

Or maybe we could finally find a way to make animal protein in the lab at a reasonable cost and in an attractive format.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last few years have seen the Eastern Seaboard and Canada are getting much longer colder winters with wet damp summers. 

 

Noticing that A/C is much more common now. Most stores have it and a few even blast it American style. We blew the budget and installed a split system it is heaven. Cars obviously have it as standard along with novelties like cup holders etc

 

BTW Christmas day 1977 Gary Indiana 68F ? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krieg said:

 

Sure, we eat too much meat, but we are an omnivorous specie and we need the animal protein contrary to what the vegans will tell you.    The problem is maybe that we are way too many people and we base our whole economy model in growing.

 

There are things we could do of course, like eating less meat, and specially less red meat, but after that the only solution would be to reduce the population but for that you need lots of time and the most difficult part, to change our economy model.

 

Or maybe we could finally find a way to make animal protein in the lab at a reasonable cost and in an attractive format.

You could believe scientists I guess. "Get your protein from plants when possible. Eating legumes (beans and peas), nuts, seeds, whole grains, and other plant-based sources of protein is a win for your health and the health of the planet."  source: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/ 

 

Also, I haven't eaten meat for 30 years and (according to people I meet) look 15 years younger than my age (60).  So I guess one doesn't need animal protein.  I get that its hard to admit that what you are doing everyday is hurting yourself and the planet you just have to open to new ways.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sooo happy to have me bedroom in the basement.  First floor:  Baking oven.  Shop/ground floor:  Hot.  Basement...nice and cool...  Happy days!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Buzznut3000 said:

You could believe scientists I guess. "Get your protein from plants when possible. Eating legumes (beans and peas), nuts, seeds, whole grains, and other plant-based sources of protein is a win for your health and the health of the planet."  source: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/ 

 

Also, I haven't eaten meat for 30 years and (according to people I meet) look 15 years younger than my age (60).  So I guess one doesn't need animal protein.  I get that its hard to admit that what you are doing everyday is hurting yourself and the planet you just have to open to new ways.

 

 

As expected someone from the vegan brigade would disagree and use the "I didn't eat meat for eleventy years and I am healthy" argument.  I knew it will happen, didn't expect it that fast though.

 

Animal protein and vegetal protein are not exactly the same.  And there are some other nutrients you can only find in meat.

 

Maybe one day humans will not need animal meat, but evolution is a very slow process.    In the mean time, we should try to eat much less meat.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krieg said:

 

 we need the animal protein contrary to what the vegans will tell you.   

 

If we needed it, wouldn’t these vegans who haven’t eaten ANY animal protein for 10, 20, 30 years all be dead ?? Think about it .... you’re wrong. ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jonny said:

 

If we needed it, wouldn’t these vegans who haven’t eaten ANY animal protein for 10, 20, 30 years all be dead ?? Think about it ... you’re wrong. ;)

 

The human body is extremely resilient.  You can survive for many years eating just one single thing.  It does not mean you should do it.

 

Anyway, it is a waste of time. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Buzznut3000 said:

So I guess one doesn't need animal protein.  I get that its hard to admit that what you are doing everyday is hurting yourself and the planet you just have to open to new ways.

No... one does.  Both an animal protein based diet and a plant protein based diet have pros and cons.  Neither can support perfection..  Plant proteins are incomplete (do not contain all amino acids where animal proteins do) and animal proteins are complete.  A plant protein based diet shorts an individual of vitamins that meats have.  However, animal protein causes diseases that one cannot get from plants.  A plant based diet supports weight loss. 

Simply stated, a variety and ALL in quantites.  All or nothing is a shite way to look at anything.

I have always been fascinated with the Japanese diet, which is high in fish source meats.  Clint Eastwood, which is today, older than dirt only eats fish.  The Japanese seem to have a long life expectancy, which from what I've read, is largely based upon their diet.  Veg and fish.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole ‘meat’ subject is of course a dead horse, but when I see people writing that you ‘need meat’ it just makes me feel embarrassed for them because it’s evident from the many vegan athletes, that you don’t . Rephrase it to something like @BayrischDude said above . It sounds  a lot more intelligent than what @Krieg says.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jonny said:

 

If we needed it, wouldn’t these vegans who haven’t eaten ANY animal protein for 10, 20, 30 years all be dead ?? Think about it ... you’re wrong. ;)


Of course not dead...but health issues in the long term.  The same could be said for anyone who strictly only eats meat.  As I often say during these types discussions, is that we are all unique.  What works for me, isn't going to work for the next 100 or more people.  I do eat meat near on daily.  There are days where my only source of protein might be from things like milk products (cottage cheese or handkäs).

As an example, my Heilpraktiker is 6 months younger (55) and a vegetarian.  I eat meat near daily.  His harnstoff levels are higher than mine and it bugs him to no end.  Also my cholesterol levels are lower.  So, either I am simply the odd duck or his health is dodgy. 

If certain things in my blood showed I needed to change my diet, I would.  No question.  Another mate is a vegan.  He has serious health issues (shortage of B12 and iron), which tablets are not helping.  He won't budge, sadly. 

I find it admirable to the cause of vegans. I do.  But not to the detriment of our own health and well being. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, slammer said:

I believe that at the end of the day climate change will bring about the extinction of homo sapiens. We are a species which had it´s best time during the ice ages and we seem to be best adapted to survive them.

 

A runaway climate change to hot will overwhelm our capability to adapt and cause us to die off in huge numbers due to famine together with disease and I for one belive that Malthus will be proven correct.

 

We will eat ourselves out of a planet.

 

This is something tangable, at least here in developed countries can we see it coming. We know that we can´t carry on like this, but who is going to implement what is needed on a global scale?

 

Ain´t going to happen and it´s getting time to look for someplace nice to kiss our asses goodby.

 

I think that the elites know this too that is why we are seeing the developing of a post-truth society in the western world, a society where feelings dictate politics instead of facts.

 

The outcome will be Orwellian world where children will be dumbed down to basic, they will only know temperature extremes, that people once lived in Bangladesh and that there was once enough water is only antireality, they will see that large swaths of the planet are uninhabitable and that the oceans are empty and it will be their goodthink and bellyfeel and that their time is doubleplusgood and everything oldthink will be classed as doubleplusungood.

 

Hey, I can still Newspeak in IngSoc, don´t know if I should be worried about that.

 

Having said all that I do believe that our successors are already here, perhaps homo sapiens superior, to give then a name. There is a growing consciousness that we are part of a closed system and that economical growth may not be the way forward afterall.

 

We will see.

 

 

I was hoping to read more about what European Scientists were saying about climate change,

how bad it is, and what will happen because in the US this is rarely discussed on the TV or

among ourselves.  Everyone is too busy trying to keep their jobs and survive to think about it

and it seems the TV avoids the topic.   

 

While I do think slammer's post is dark, I do agree we are going to eat ourselves out of a planet. 

The population needs to shrink.  A 1 baby limit for 50 years would be prudent.

 

I too (at the risk of being called a nut) am starting to consider that we may live in a closed system.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Krieg said:

Maybe one day humans will not need animal meat, but evolution is a very slow process.    In the mean time, we should try to eat much less meat.

 

I tried a sample of "beyond meat" at the market and it did not taste

like beef to me.  I did not like it.   I read that it is higher in saturated

fat than real beef and is not better for you health wise. 

 

More Fat + Costs more + Doesn't taste like meat = I won't buy it.

 

And I had high hopes "beyond meat" would be a healthier option

that tastes like real beef so I could eat less meat.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leman said:

 

I tried a sample of "beyond meat" at the market and it did not taste

like beef to me.  I did not like it.   I read that it is higher in saturated

fat than real beef and is not better for you health wise. 

 

More Fat + Costs more + Doesn't taste like meat = I won't buy it.

 

And I had high hopes "beyond meat" would be a healthier option

that tastes like real beef so I could eat less meat.

 

Yep. Here ya go.

 

Had a helluva IPO, mind you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Leman said:

I read that it is higher in saturated fat than real beef

 

It was "Impossible Burger" that had 10% more saturated fat

than real beef.   My mistake.   The article does say that both

plant-based burgers are no healthier than real beef.

 

More Fat + Costs more + Doesn't taste like meat + No healthier than meat = I won't buy it.

 

We should probably eat far less meat and when we do chicken would be better.

How did this thread go from Climate Change to an "attack of the Vegan's" thread???

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beyond Burger has 22 ingredients, so I consider this product to be an overly processed food product containing some artificial ingredients.   You couldn't pay me enough to eat this product, I prefer to consume food in it's most natural state as possible avoiding process foods and sugars.  The IPO did well because of it's marketing machine and veganism is trendy now. Beyond Burger was also endorsed by several popular media outlets The Today Show, BuzzFeed, and Fast Company according to their website.

 

With this extreme heat, It's too hot for me to use the stove, so I'm preparing salads with fruits and vegetables, which are high water content foods.  

 

Here's what's in a Beyond Burger:

  • Water
  • Pea protein isolate
  • Expeller-pressed canola oil
  • Refined coconut oil

The Beyond Burger also contains 2% or less of:

  • Cellulose from bamboo
  • Methylcellulose
  • Potato starch
  • Natural flavor
  • Maltodextrin
  • Yeast extract
  • Salt
  • Sunflower oil
  • Vegetable glycerin
  • Dried yeast
  • Gum arabic
  • Citrus extract (to protect quality)
  • Ascorbic acid (to maintain color)
  • Beet juice extract (for color)
  • Acetic acid
  • Succinic acid
  • Modified food starch
  • Annatto (for color)
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now