Climate change in Germany - Frankfurt 100F on Wed

87 posts in this topic

Do you sunburn easier or more often now compared to 5 years ago?

In the US we have UV index that rates the sun's radiation as means to

show how fast you will get a sun burn.  10 years ago the scale only went

from 1 to 10.   In 2015 we started to get 11s and now we are getting 12s.

I have noticed the sun burns you quicker in the US now than it did 10 years

ago.  The sun appears more bright white now and I remember it as more yellow

in years past.

22 hours ago, slammer said:

What a good topic. I have recently returned to Germany from a 20 year hiatus, so what have I noticed?

As a school kid summers were long and dry, there was swimming in the Baggersee and if you were tough as nails you would try to swim across the Danube, even though it was freezing cold and you could be sure that you would come out miles downriver. But you got the boasting rights.

We had lazy evenings under the stars, we had clear skies and we went to sleep listing to the buzz of insects. When the wind was just right you could hear the trains in the valley on their way to Augsburg, they passed in the night with a distinct Doppler effect, and every now and then as a highlight the TEE or the Trans Europe Express would whoosh pass with its haunting whistling sound.

Then at the end of summer, the last weeks of September going into October there would be a wind and it brought the smell of Autumn, from then on it was Apples and conserves in mason jars and we would spend our weekends chopping wood.

Grandma would start to bake Quittenbrod, a kind of edible rubber made from Quince fruit. She made enough to last until us kids were sick of it, roundabout April.

The leaves would start to fall and you would prepare for Winter, Autumn gave you a lot of time to get ready but by the end of November the cold would start to creep in and it would be time for Glühwein and Spectaculus cookies and the eternal Quittenbrod.

Spring would hit you like waving a magic wand and by end of March there would be virgin green all over, the first flowers would bloom and the seasons would repeat.

And you would still be eating the damned Quittenbrod!

So many years down the line…

There are no insects, bug splattered cars are no more. The smell of spring is no more, it just gets more and more damp, humid and heavy before the weather changes to hot in fury and storm, the last German summer, my first in 20 years was hot and dry, the rivers dried up and in some places hunger stones appeared out of the river beds, placed there centuries ago as a memorial to hunger and drought, to starving children and crying mothers.

Autumn has now shrunk to almost nothing and is replaced by a rainy season. Only it´s just not enough rain to fill the rivers and lakes and reservoirs.

Winter was cold and snowy but just not cold enough to balance the mosquitoes that are now ruining the evenings around the Bavarian lakes.

Things have changed and not in a good way, but like the frog in water that is slowly brought to a boil people do not see what is happening until it is too late.

I wish I could see hope somewhere, however this is not the beginning of hope but the end of the old ways.

Having said that, one little hope that I have is that the Alps can be seen with such a clarity and detail that I was never able to see as a child. The air is better, cleaner and smells of hot pine when you ride through a forrest on a motorbike.

Children growing up now will see this as their great times and know nothing about how it was all those years ago.

What a wonderful (though sad from a current point of view ) post!

:(

I'm surprised to read:

"The air is better, cleaner and smells of hot pine"

I would think the air quality would have become worse

everywhere due to increased population, more cars on

the road burning petro, more manufacturing to make

more stuff for the increased population, etc.

Everything I read says Germany's economy is booming

and there are housing shortages in every city.  

More people = worse air right?

1 hour ago, Leman said:

I'm surprised to read:

"The air is better, cleaner and smells of hot pine"

I would think the air quality would have become worse

everywhere due to increased population, more cars on

the road burning petro, more manufacturing to make

more stuff for the increased population, etc.

Everything I read says Germany's economy is booming

and there are housing shortages in every city.  

That is what I had expected but the opposite is true, every day when I set off to work I can see the Alps, you could only do that on rare days and mostly in winter in them long gone days.

Maybe politics have done something good after all; particle level monitoring, catalyzers, clean air bill and the fact that the greenies will go old Testament and biblical on your ass if you so much as burn a leaf. 

14 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Comfort for operating staff! ( I speak from experience!). Same in every country I have worked.

Also,  colder temps may inhibit bacterial growth.

sure, I get that having it too warm would be distracting, but this really seemed too cold for true comfort.

but I take your word for it - thanks for the explanation :) 

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

sure, I get that having it too warm would be distracting, but this really seemed too cold for true comfort.

but I take your word for it - thanks for the explanation :) 

I don't think its for comfort.  I think it's to keep the Doctors "Sharp" (very alert)

when cutting people open.   Both my mind and reflexes are much better on

a cold dry morning then on a warm moist day.  It's also scientifically proven with

tests that humans have better reflexes on dry cold days vs warm moist days. 

It is too damn hot right now.  And we already had all the usual arguments about what's better, open/closed windows, open/closed blinds, and when.  Including all different permutations.

18 hours ago, Leman said:

Broadly speaking, yes. But it depends on a lot of things.  As cities grow they may relocate power stations, further out, build better public transport etc and may end up with higher air quality. And generally over time rules tend to get more strict -- less poluting vehicles and industry etc.

On 24.6.2019, 20:17:42, Leman said:

I thought it would be interesting to start a conversation about

climate change in Germany.  I live in the US and have been

researching a move to Germany.  Here in the US, I have noticed

the summers being hotter by about 5F degrees and the winters

seem milder by 10F degrees over the last 5 years.  This seems

mild compared to the temperature changes in Germany. 

Frankfurt typically has very pleasant summers:

Average June high temperature in Frankfurt is 75F (24C)

Average July high temperature in Frankfurt is 79F (26C)

(These are 100 year averages)

Last year was a record breaking year for heat in Germany with

the highest June temperature for Frankfurt being 88F (31C). 

This Wednesday Frankfurt is forecasted to be 100F (38C).

That surpasses last year's highest temperature of the year

being 97F (36C) in July.

For the people living in Germany 5 to 10 years now, how have

you noticed the climate changing in Germany?   Were the

summers much cooler in the past?  Have the winters become

much warmer also?   How is it affecting the forests and those

lush green trees?   Are your UV indexes going up as well?

What are the local scientists saying about these extreme

temperatures?

One note about UV index changes where I live in the US. 

The UV index 2 years ago used to be 10 with maybe five to six

11 UV index days in July.   This year we got our first 11 UV

index day in March and had 11's throughout April and June.

Tomorrow will be a 12 UV index and I don't recall ever seeing

a 12 before.

I remember back in 2003 we had a really hot summer. It went up to 40 degrees. At the time we were living in a "dachwohnung". Basically the attic flat, it was stifling.

I have noticed the winters seem to be getting milder and there is less snow. It used to get down to -25 every year and we had weeks of snow.

The climate is changing, not just in Germany, but everywhere.

51 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

I remember back in 2003 we had a really hot summer. It went up to 40 degrees. At the time we were living in a "dachwohnung". Basically the attic flat, it was stifling.

I have noticed the winters seem to be getting milder and there is less snow. It used to get down to -25 every year and we had weeks of snow.

After last year's heat wave, what I've noticed this year in my town on immobilienscout24 there's an inordinate amount of dachwohnungs available to rent.  

I live in a Dachzimmer and I have two ventilators running like a Spitfire on take off and I have two hot water bottles in the freezer and I am not afraid to use them. Oh and cold beer in the fridge.

3 hours ago, Anna66 said:

I agree with this but it seems that Germany's climate 

change is far more significant than what we are seeing

in the US.  What are the German scientists saying about

Germany's extreme heat waves?

I wouldn't be surprised if Alaska which is part of the US is seeing climate change to rival Germany. Certainly the very high Arctic: Svalbard and the polar cap is seeing enormous warning.

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault is supposed to be on permanent permafrost (am I overdoing the permanents) and it is now seeing an absence of frost in the summer. Which is bad news for the integrity of the vault. 

The Northeast passage which is normally icebound year round is soon the be open to shipping. Warming from -12 to -9 is more significant than warming from 25 to 27

I am worried about the thawing of the perma frost in Sibierian and in the higher latitudes in Canada, if the gigatons of methane currently locked in the ground are released into the atmosphere, there could well be a runaway global warming.

1 hour ago, slammer said:

I am worried about the thawing of the perma frost in Sibierian and in the higher latitudes in Canada, if the gigatons of methane currently locked in the ground are released into the atmosphere, there could well be a runaway global warming.

I also heard that there are bodies buried containing diseases such as anthrax and the bubonic plague. The thawing of the tundras could release the deadly spores.:wacko:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-there-are-diseases-hidden-in-ice-and-they-are-waking-up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/thawing-siberian-permafrost-soil-risks-rise-anthrax-prehistoric/

37 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

I also heard that there are bodies buried containing diseases such as anthrax and the bubonic plague. The thawing of the tundras could release the deadly spores.:wacko:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-there-are-diseases-hidden-in-ice-and-they-are-waking-up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/thawing-siberian-permafrost-soil-risks-rise-anthrax-prehistoric/

Already happening, thousands of dead reindeer in Siberia over the last five years due to released spores.

I believe that at the end of the day climate change will bring about the extinction of homo sapiens. We are a species which had it´s best time during the ice ages and we seem to be best adapted to survive them.

A runaway climate change to hot will overwhelm our capability to adapt and cause us to die off in huge numbers due to famine together with disease and I for one belive that Malthus will be proven correct.

We will eat ourselves out of a planet.

This is something tangable, at least here in developed countries can we see it coming. We know that we can´t carry on like this, but who is going to implement what is needed on a global scale?

Ain´t going to happen and it´s getting time to look for someplace nice to kiss our asses goodby.

I think that the elites know this too that is why we are seeing the developing of a post-truth society in the western world, a society where feelings dictate politics instead of facts.

The outcome will be Orwellian world where children will be dumbed down to basic, they will only know temperature extremes, that people once lived in Bangladesh and that there was once enough water is only antireality, they will see that large swaths of the planet are uninhabitable and that the oceans are empty and it will be their goodthink and bellyfeel and that their time is doubleplusgood and everything oldthink will be classed as doubleplusungood.

Hey, I can still Newspeak in IngSoc, don´t know if I should be worried about that.

Having said all that I do believe that our successors are already here, perhaps homo sapiens superior, to give then a name. There is a growing consciousness that we are part of a closed system and that economical growth may not be the way forward afterall.

We will see.

yeah well, I think a lot of people may die over climate change, near the sea etc, but I would imagine that some place will still be a live, Northern Canada, Northern Europe/asia etc - enough will survive that the race will continue.

However, drivin home yesterday, with an indicated  outside temperature of 33 degs, yes I did put the A/C on - just adding my bit to climate change.