New Job & Eligible for the EU Blue Card - how to proceed?

8 posts in this topic

I’m a 29-year-old American who has been living and working in Berlin for close to 1.5 years now. I’m here on a 3-year work visa (Aufenhaltserlaubnis 18 Abs.4.S.1 and 78a Abs.1) with the stipulation that the first 2 years of the visa are tied to my place of employment and after the 2nd year I am free to be employed anywhere without having to be sponsored.

I still have about half a year left on my current work visa to be able to freely go work at another company. However, I recently received an official indefinite contract (6 month probation) with a company here in Germany with a salary that is over the current amount that is required for the Blue Card. First question is - I am still eligible to apply for the EU Blue Card with the 6 month probation as part of my contract?

I just made an appointment with the local office that handles EU Blue Cards but the appointment is nearly 4 months away and my new job is supposed to start in 3. Is there a way to get an appointment earlier by going directly to the office and waiting? I know that it is possible to see if any appointments open up by checking the site early in the morning. What is the best way to proceed here?

I have never switched a job here in Germany so I am not sure on how to proceed once I put in my official resignation with my current employer. There will be no gap between my current employer and my new one and I intend to have my last day coincide with my first day at the new company. Do I need to report my resignation to any government office? How can I apply for the appropriate work visa that will allow me to work with this new company? Thank you!

On 6/24/2019, 12:58:12, endsee said:

I am still eligible to apply for the EU Blue Card with the 6 month probation as part of my contract? – Yes

I just made an appointment with the local office that handles EU Blue Cards but the appointment is nearly 4 months away and my new job is supposed to start in 3. Is there a way to get an appointment earlier by going directly to the office and waiting? – You can to the office during any day that is not "Nur Mit Termin", but you might need to wait a lot.

I know that it is possible to see if any appointments open up by checking the site early in the morning. What is the best way to proceed here? – I would write them a letter and ask for an earlier appointment. Also it looks like it would be ok for you to stay with your current permit and just change the employer – it makes sense to note that as well.

I have never switched a job here in Germany so I am not sure on how to proceed once I put in my official resignation with my current employer. There will be no gap between my current employer and my new one and I intend to have my last day coincide with my first day at the new company. Do I need to report my resignation to any government office? – There are threads about that, but the first and most important one is a letter to ABH (email is ok)

How can I apply for the appropriate work visa that will allow me to work with this new company? Thank you!

On 6/30/2019, 9:14:06, ilyann said:

I have never switched a job here in Germany so I am not sure on how to proceed once I put in my official resignation with my current employer. There will be no gap between my current employer and my new one and I intend to have my last day coincide with my first day at the new company. Do I need to report my resignation to any government office? – There are threads about that, but the first and most important one is a letter to ABH (email is ok)

Do I need to send a letter to the ABH? From the threads I've read here, as long as my employment ends with my current employer in Germany and I start the following work day at my new employer, I don't need to inform anyone since all my social security number + tax ID number is the same.

Did you sign the document at the ABH saying that you need to inform them about the employment  changes?

On 7/4/2019, 7:03:19, ilyann said:

Did you sign the document at the ABH saying that you need to inform them about the employment  changes?

Yes, I believe so but I am supposed to have another appointment with them in a few weeks to submit my application for my new work visa through my new company so I'm assuming that will suffice and I do not have to email them?

While I don't think it's strictly necessary I would still send the documents via email immediately if you have actually resigned the previous job. That way you are covered if something falls through with the new job or you can't attend the appointment.

What documents would I send them via the email? Which email address do I send it to?

The new contract, the termination agreement with the previous job. For the email, take a look at their website.