Is KSK worth it for me?

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

 

As I'm approaching my one-year Berlinniversary, my situation keeps rapidly changing. That's great, but I'm also constantly filled with new questions.

 

My question now is about KSK, whether it's worth it for me or not and what are the pros and cons. I already know a lot about the application process, so I'm looking for a bit of advice more than information about that.

 

So, here's my situation:

- EU Citizen, no previous record of being in the public system in the EU, so I'm currently using a private insurance with a €1000/mo deductible (which is insane)

- Under 30

- Have a BFA degree in Theater/Creative Writing

- Full-time freelancer and Kleinunternehmer (if things keep going this well next year, however, I may not be a Kleinuternehmer anymore)

- Most of my current jobs are somewhat related to my field, except for modeling. I'm a coach/mentor for artists and students and I also write (but that may fall more into the 'marketing' area, as the material is usually posted online)

- Once in a while I earn money as a performer, but most of my gigs are unpaid, or paid very little. But I have a lot of documentation from that, which can help with my KSK app.

- May want to pursue a Master's degree in the near future, but not sure

- Not planning on having kids at least for the next decade

 

So, my big questions are:

1. Can I join the KSK with my current professions? Are they 'artistic' enough?

2. Is it worth it?

From what I looked up, I'd be paying around €60 more than I would if I stuck with private insurance. I know that price will go up as I get older and that €1000 deductible is not nice at all (I can't REALLY use my insurance huh), but I don't really feel super settled in Berlin yet. It would be nice to pay into a pension scheme, because I do worry about what to do when I'm older, but what if I move in the next 1-2 years?

On the other hand, I would like to go to the doctor and not have to pay out of pocket.

 

I appreciate any insights on this!

 

Thanks in advance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
25 minutes ago, milkshakespeare said:

 

1. Can I join the KSK with my current professions? Are they 'artistic' enough?

 

 

Yes, your profession is in the list of eligible professions:

 

https://www.kuenstlersozialkasse.de/fileadmin/Dokumente/Mediencenter_Unternehmer_Verwerter/Informationsschriften/Info_06_-_Kuenstlerische_publizistische_Taetigkeiten_und_Abgabesaetze.pdf

 

 
 
 
27 minutes ago, milkshakespeare said:

 

2. Is it worth it?

From what I looked up, I'd be paying around €60 more than I would if I stuck with private insurance.

 

You can stay in private insurance. I am in the KSK and have private insurance (although I am not so sure myself if it's best for me to be in private than public).

 

 
 
1
30 minutes ago, milkshakespeare said:

It would be nice to pay into a pension scheme, because I do worry about what to do when I'm older, but what if I move in the next 1-2 years?

 

 

Joining the KSK makes it mandatory that you pay into the German public pension system. The bad part is that it's a rip off (on average people get less out when they retire than what they pay into it). The good part is the KSK would pay half of your contribution; that makes it considerably less of a rip off.

 

Also, the German government has committed to make it compulsory in future to have some kind of pension scheme. I don't know much about it, but we are expected to be in a situation in which ALL self-employed people must pay into the DRV. If that happens, it'll be definitely better to be in the KSK (you pay 50%) than not (you pay 100%).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago (artist, EU, full time freelancer, kleinunternehmer) and also asked myself: is it worth it? For me yes. I'm not planning on moving abroad anytime soon and It makes sense for me to start paying into pension as soon as possible. Being insured through the KSK also made it possible for me to switch from private to public insurance and now I pay the same I used to pay for private insurance, but for health insurance AND pension. Besides, the big bonus for me is that you pay according to your yearly income; so if you have a weaker year, you don't have the burden of paying so much insurance.

So maybe what you have to think about is: am I planning on staying in Germany? If yes, do I want to pay into the public Renteversicherung, knowing that when the time comes most probably I will get less money than I paid into? Do I want to switch to public insurance - this is good for when you want to start a family, even if in only 10 years, plus you avoid ever increasing premiums?

if your answer is yes for two of the above, I'd say go for it.  

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hola, Smaug! (quote system not working tonight!:D).

You say you can stay in the private system...not necessarily..ONLY if you are above the income threshold for private insurance as an employee. Otherwise, it must be public.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Imanuxuf said:

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago (artist, EU, full time freelancer, kleinunternehmer) and also asked myself: is it worth it? For me yes. I'm not planning on moving abroad anytime soon and It makes sense for me to start paying into pension as soon as possible. Being insured through the KSK also made it possible for me to switch from private to public insurance and now I pay the same I used to pay for private insurance, but for health insurance AND pension. Besides, the big bonus for me is that you pay according to your yearly income; so if you have a weaker year, you don't have the burden of paying so much insurance.

So maybe what you have to think about is: am I planning on staying in Germany? If yes, do I want to pay into the public Renteversicherung, knowing that when the time comes most probably I will get less money than I paid into? Do I want to switch to public insurance - this is good for when you want to start a family, even if in only 10 years, plus you avoid ever increasing premiums?

if your answer is yes for two of the above, I'd say go for it.  

 

No one ever avoids increasing premiums whether in the public or private system...prices in both systems go up. In BOTH systems! I bet an employee pays more in either public or private insurance than 20 years ago! I was an employee/worker in the public system in 1970! I think I paid about 10 Marks a month! (Not that I remember..I was 18  in a factory in Bonn! ).

(quote system worked this time..God knows why!)

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now