Problems with Sixt - Asking me to pay for scratches

28 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, fargozzi said:

And seems per all the comments from others it's either you are going to court against them (unfortunately I just moved to Germany and learned about lawyer insurance just now) or you pay and the spread the World about their fraudulent activities.

What a load of rubbish. 

idea that I'm Platinum, I've done this multiple times,

Do you know what Platinum is? It's a loyalty card nothing else and entitles you to some discounts and possible upgrades.

I know how to protect myself, so will never happen to me. 

No you don't, if you did then you wouldn't be in this situation.

You didn't take out their additional insurance or had your own third party excess insurance policy so you don't know how to protect yourself. Or as in most cases you have this attitude that you're to safe a driver and nothing would happen to you and/or you're too bloody tight to insure yourself properly. 

It's typical, as I mentioned in my previous post here, people always blame the rental companies when they themselves failed to follow a few simple steps to avoid such issues. 

You have no one else to blame other than yourself.

3 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

What a load of rubbish. 

It would be very nice of you if you could explain other ways. 

Do you know what Platinum is? It's a loyalty card nothing else and entitles you to some discounts and possible upgrades.

yes, I know. I also know that in every email they stated how special I am and how they will support me in every possible way. They didn't. 

You didn't take out their additional insurance or had your own third party excess insurance policy so you don't know how to protect yourself. Or as in most cases you have this attitude that you're to safe a driver and nothing would happen to you and/or you're too bloody tight to insure yourself properly. 

As I've noticed in my previous comment: I'm open to pay these 600EUR if the damage would be done by me. I knew the risk when I refused the full protection and it would double the cost of my rental.

My only problem with them is that they don't cooperate and don't show photos of the damages which deliberately asked them to make.  You think that is ok for the company to KNOW that person is not responsible for the damage and still claim it? Well..it's up to you!

Good luck!

1 minute ago, fargozzi said:

It would be very nice of of you if you could explain other ways. But somehow by the tone of your comments I got the impression you just came here to insult and blame. Sorry, if I'm wrong.

Exactly where did I insult you in my post? 

I blamed you yes because you failed to follow some simple rules and you are now having to pay the price, is it or is it not your fault/responsibility?

In my previous post I already said how you can avoid these issues by purchasing excess insurance either through the rental company or a third party.

21 minutes ago, fargozzi said:

yes, I know. I also know that in every email they stated how special I am and how they will support me in every possible way. They didn't. 

Take this as an insult or a question, those emails are standard computer generated emails, are you a little bit soft are just gullible?

30 minutes ago, fargozzi said:

My only problem with them is that they don't cooperate and don't show photos of the damages which deliberately asked them to make.  

It is not their job to do anything, you rented a car and returned it with damage not recorded on your rental agreement.

For all you know the person you claim took the pictures could of been taking selfies.

You have zero proof, it does not matter who took pictures, you have none yourself and it is your word against theirs. 

33 minutes ago, fargozzi said:

You think that is ok for the company to KNOW that person is not responsible for the damage and still claim it? Well..it's up you!

Again, you're talking rubbish, how does the company know? they rent hundreds of cars every day from the airport and that's why they have rental agreements, everything is listed in the agreements if not in their terms and conditions. 

Now if you came on here claiming you had proof, photographic evidence etc etc then my response would of been totally different but you don't have anything.

36 minutes ago, fargozzi said:

As I've noticed in my previous comment: I'm open to pay these 600EUR if the damage would be done by me. I knew the risk when I refused the full protection and is would double the cost of my rental.

Highly commendable, pay up and put it down to an expensive learning curve and move on.

In future, I'd suggest you either take out their excess insurance or purchase an independent one for circa €60.00 per year.

Don't be fooled by the price of the car, rental companies make very little if not any money on rentals, it is always the addons they profit from that's why rentals are so cheap in the first place.

Some unexpected update on my case: 

Two weeks ago, after my initial statement was rejected by SIXT, I have wrote them an email asking to provide me with photos I have asked their employee to make and re-evaluate their decision based on the photos, otherwise I would have no other choice but:

a) ask for mediation with ECRC (back then I didn’t know it only works if you are not a resident of Germany)

B ) to collect cases from my colleagues worldwide so I would use my position in the company to start pressuring Purchasing department to change SIXT from preferable rental company.

I don’t know what exactly triggered their decision, but today they’ve sent me an email stating that they wave all charges and hope for future cooperation.

May be they really checked the photos which they ignored initially, or they don’t want to mess up ECRS, or even Sr Percy B is one of their employees and after protecting their approach in his posts he decided to check the case carefully..I don’ know..:D

So, don’t listen to anyone saying that this is a normal business model and never give up!B)

I rented an Audi A-7S from Sixt, a year or so ago, in Munich. I turned the car in and the girl at the counter said "you have full insurance just leave it".
A few weeks later same story as above, complaining that it was an expensive car, I ruined the paint with scratches from bushes on the side. etc. I emailed that I had full coverage and they eventually dropped it.
This was an obvious attempt to get me to settle this and avoid a hassle with them but I didn't fall for it. Sounds like they followed the same script.
I will never do business with them again

1 hour ago, fargozzi said:

So, don’t listen to anyone saying that this is a normal business model and never give up!B)

I am happy it got sorted out for you, but you were the one suggesting that fraud is their business model and that they will "always find a way to outsmart you"... Clearly that is not their way of working, and in both above cases Sixt handled it well, didn't they? I still have to see a case were Sixt successfully claimed damages despite the renter having full coverage, or the renter having noted down pre-existing damage correctly...

This it seems is a standard practice of many car rental companies - just send a claim's mail and see maybe 50% gullible drivers might fall for it.

My wife was a victim to this fraud and paid to one such rental car company 4 years ago . Another company tried it again this year. But now we had legal insurance and well-prepared with photos and our lawyer advised us to write them a letter with some legal phrases and voila they replied that they are waiving off the charges.

Good to know a lawyer and a dentist and maybe a few other professions :P