Barbecue at work -- Foods to bring

54 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

This is like the two thousand year-old fighting between the Israelis and the Arabs and you are like a US president thinking he's going to solve that real quick like.

I like this analogy, because I am compared with US president (not current one, current one seems to have no interest in middle east) here!

Thank you A.N.Other!

Time to stop here for me. I will be back during lunch break.

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

We cook fish directly on the grill (trout, salmon, never tried to grill any others). No Alu foil or anything else. Fantastic.

We cook as well fish directly on the grill sometimes and some other times we wrap them, why?  because it is a totally different method of cooking them and it is more effective for delicate fish and you get stronger flavors from the other ingredients.

If you are scared of wrapping the fish on alu, you can use banana leaves, which was the original way of doing it in plenty of countries.

There is a kind of foil with baking paper stuck on one side which presumably solves the health issues of grilling in foil.

I used it inside a cake tin to save greasing which was not greatly successful since the two sides react differently to heat and the thing squiggled around in the pan and the cake was seriously wonky.

59 minutes ago, Krieg said:

If you are scared of wrapping the fish on alu, you can use banana leaves, which was the original way of doing it in plenty of countries.

Interesting, I will try.

We use the fish baskets for grilling fish. Otherwise it sticks to the grill and is hard to turn over without destroying it.

Portable Picnic Recipes:

https://www.southernliving.com/food/entertaining/easy-picnic-food-recipes?cid=393939&did=393939-20190618&mid=21964016716&utm_campaign=sl-whats-cooking_newsletter&utm_content=061819&utm_medium=email&utm_source=southernliving.com&slide=7232#7232

these may help. aptly named, they're from genius kitchen:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/ideas/football-tailgating-recipes-6233?c=16105

Or you could make like the Texans, and just coat everything with batter and deep fry it all (yes, I do know someone who has a deep-fryer at picnics). I understand there's even been deep-fried Nutella.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/state-fair-food/

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

I use Banana leaves and Pandan leaves, the latter are normally fresh and are used for smaller pieces of meat or fish and the Banana leaves are frozen, much wider and up to 1 meter long.

Banana leaves are much better for steaming but you don't really get any imparted flavour from then unlike Pandan leaves which are used not only with meats but are also added to deserts.

I make pieces of chicken wrapped in Pandan leaves and grill them, here's a really simple and quick recipe;

2bs Oyster Sauce

2tbs Milk

1tbs Light Soy Sauce

1tbs Sesame Oil

2 Garlics cloves finely chopped or more if you like

2tbs Rice Flour

1 fresh Pandan leave finely chopped

Good Pinch of white pepper

Mix the lot together in a bowl and add cube/diced chicken pieces, they need to be approx. 3cm x 3cm in size. Marinate for at least an hour.

When ready take pairs of Pandan leaves and place them at right angles to each other overlapping at the ends. place a piece of chicken at the overlapping end and start folding simultaneously creating a type of parcel, to secure you place one leaf under the other to create a fold, do this a couple of times to do secure them. This takes a little practice.

You can cook these in oil but I like to add several to skewers and grill, it's far healthier and tastier in my opinion.

Serve with Thai sweet chilli sauce or make up a Rice Vinegar based sauce by adding small amounts of Sugar, Salt and chopped chillis till you reach the right taste of sweet, hot and sour.

@fraufruit

Totally agree, I use them sometimes when I want to keep it simple and just grill whole fish

Fish.jpg.7b91e51a60c416ac28fa694529c9402

7 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Totally agree, I use them sometimes when I want to keep it simple and just grill whole fish

I prefer the ones that open on the side. I haven't found one for bigger fish, though. The one in your photo needs a lot of space to open it up.

3 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

I surely will try. Fish is more acceptable to me than pork or steak, if I must eat meat.

Thank you!

I strongly reccommend a freshly made Mayonnaise on top of a just grilled trout. 

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I prefer the ones that open on the side. I haven't found one for bigger fish, though. The one in your photo needs a lot of space to open it up.

I don't think you will find them, most I've seen all open like mine.

They are big and over a meter long when fully opened but I always plate the fish at the grill and serve so it's never a problem.

53 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Fish.jpg.7b91e51a60c416ac28fa694529c9402

Yes, we use those ones as well for whole fishes.   Dorade with just salt and pepper is great, easiest fish to grill and really delicious.   And not so expensive.

Yes, we plate at grill at home. Here, on the boat, the gas grill is attached to the railing and hangs outside the cockpit. Nowhere to plate but we manage.