Barbecue at work -- Foods to bring

54 posts in this topic

There will be a social even at work, barbecue with American football.

For barbecue, everyone is expected to bring something to grill.

Any idea?

Can I grill fresh corns and sweet potatoes?

Bring yourself, your amazing personality should be enough.

Is this a BBQ at the Local, celebrating the success of their latest fake click bait account? :D

Whatever you bring, make sure it comes in cans. Fresh food is so unhealthy.

29 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Can I grill fresh corns and sweet potatoes?

You can, but your colleagues might get quite irritated if you leave your stuff on the grill for an hour or so.

The best method is to precook these items on your stove. For corn on the cob, put the corn in cold water, then cook on high until the water boils. The corn is then finished and just needs to be warmed up on the grill.

For the potatoes, cook them in the oven for about an hour (pierce the skin with a fork, otherwise they may explode). Then these too will just Need to be warmed up on the grill.

Have fun.

19 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

You can, but your colleagues might get quite irritated if you leave your stuff on the grill for an hour or so.

The best method is to precook these items on your stove. For corn on the cob, put the corn in cold water, then cook on high until the water boils. The corn is then finished and just needs to be warmed up on the grill.

For the potatoes, cook them in the oven for about an hour (pierce the skin with a fork, otherwise they may explode). Then these too will just Need to be warmed up on the grill.

Have fun.

Thanks for the advice.

I am more excited about American football, never played before.

Since you are mostly vegetarian, you might also want to make yourself some kabobs. Just cut onions, peppers, chilies, and Bacon (I hope that is still vegetarian) into square pieces an Inch or so wide and stick them on a stick. Grill them and enjoy. There are also bags of "grill Paprika" out there. Wash 'em, slap them on the grill, put some salt on 'em and eat away.

Lots of things you can grill without needing meat, other than the obligatory Bacon, of course.

Just now, A.N.Other said:

Since you are mostly vegetarian, you might also want to make yourself some kabobs. Just cut onions, peppers, chilies, and Bacon (I hope that is still vegetarian) into square pieces an Inch or so wide and stick them on a stick. Grill them and enjoy. There are also bags of "grill Paprika" out there. Wash 'em, slap them on the grill, put some salt on 'em and eat away.

Lots of things you can grill without needing meat, other than the obligatory Bacon, of course.

Nice idea. Thank you!

I might will have some meat on this particular occasion. I am no longer mostly vegetarian any more. My fam. doc. recommended to eat meat or fish once a week.

Just now, SmurfLee said:

I might will have some meat on this particular occasion. I am no longer mostly vegetarian any more. My fam. doc. recommended to eat meat or fish once a week.

then add "Minuten Steaks", cut about the same size as the veggies, to the kabobs.

3 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

then add "Minuten Steaks", cut about the same size as the veggies, to the kabobs.

Yeah, and the fish goes in the microwave.

11 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Yeah, and the fish goes in the microwave.

Since I'm trying to take this seriously... The best there is to wrap it in aluminum foil with lemons and dill, then grill. That is unless you happen to have a smoker and a few hours. I make smoked trout once or twice a year. Brilliant.

You can also skin a salmon filet, though, cut in slices about an Inch thick and brush with a honey-mustard mixture and bbq it directly on the grill.

They always have fireworks after events like this, why don't you buy some aerosol cans and throw them on the Barbecue at the end. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Bring yourself, your amazing personality should be enough.

Don't forget to wear your new denim shorts too.

12 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

Since I'm trying to take this seriously... The best there is to wrap it in aluminum foil with lemons and dill, then grill. That is unless you happen to have a smoker and a few hours. I make smoked trout once or twice a year. Brilliant.

You can also skin a salmon filet, though, cut in slices about an Inch thick and brush with a honey-mustard mixture and bbq it directly on the grill.

Not a good idea to cook food in aluminium foil.

2 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Not a good idea to cook food in aluminium foil.

Lots of things are bad for you. I do for fish, but only for fish. That's not true, sometimes I'll put potatoes in aluminum foil and throw them directly on the burning charcoal.

Oh yes.  I remember reading that now, I must have forgottten. :mellow:  Now where did I put that foil.

Actually there are some issues with aluminium (not the Alzheimer claims that snopes debunks).

Especially when the food is in direct contact with the aluminium and contains an acidic marinade (as someone would do by wrapping a marinated fish for example). Was initailly told by  my brother in law (who is a chemist) but there are plenty of sources for it :   https://sciencing.com/dangers-aluminum-foil-8314412.html

There was an issue  in Germany, 5 years ago, about Bretzels that are usually baked in aluminium trays :

https://www.thelocal.de/20141205/bavaria-fears-for-health-over-aluminium-pretzels

14 minutes ago, Alexnf said:

Actually there are some issues with aluminium (not the Alzheimer claims that snopes debunks).

Especially when the food is in direct contact with the aluminium and contains an acidic marinade (as someone would do by wrapping a marinated fish for example). Was initailly told by  my brother in law (who is a chemist) but there are plenty of sources for it :   https://sciencing.com/dangers-aluminum-foil-8314412.html

There was an issue  in Germany, 5 years ago, about Bretzels that are usually baked in aluminium trays :

https://www.thelocal.de/20141205/bavaria-fears-for-health-over-aluminium-pretzels

Yup. That's why you microwave the fish :D