Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ISP Contract Troubles

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

So I realize this is a long-shot and that I am likely stuck with this, but I figured I would ask in case someone knows something that I don't. Last year sometime I did a very stupid thing and signed up for Vodafone internet. Some of their employees came to my building and said that they upgraded the wiring and that high-speed cable internet was now available in the building and we're already paying for part of it in our rent. They offered 1 year free because I already had internet through 1und1 and my contract was supposed to run out within that year. I made the awful decision to sign the paperwork as I was having a lot of problems with my 1und1 internet at the time and figured this might work better. 

Unknown to me, however, is that my 1und1 contract had actually renewed without me knowing because I had recently upgraded from their internet 50 to the 100 option. I had assumed that my regular contract would just continue at the higher speed/rate but it turns out they gave me a brand new 2 year contract. In addition, the problems I was having with my 1und1 setup have long been fixed and I'm actually pretty happy with it.

Upon realizing this, I tried to cancel the Vodafone contract, which, of course they wouldn't let me do. My free year with them is running out, so soon I will have to pay for both the Vodafone internet AND the 1und1 until one of them runs out sometime next year, which will be a lot of money for extra internet I don't need.

I was hoping that someone might have a suggestion for trying to get out of one of these contracts (preferably the Vodafone one because they are just the worst) as it seems there is just zero consumer protection here when it comes to telecommunications contracts. Cheers!

4 hours ago, Bart Chlebowski said:

there is just zero consumer protection here

Cut out the details, you're left with that.

I hate Vodafone, it's taken me years to get out of various contracts with them and now I'm 'free'.

When I changed from Iund1 to Mnet, the new ISP handled the contract termination, everything was included in the service I just signed the papers. Mnet did not send me the router  and of course start billing me till the 1und1 contract ended, over 9 months later. I thought this was standard, are you sure Vodophone did not offer this service, though clearly they have not implemented it!

Do you get the guaranteed/advertised speeds? (See the respective Produktinformationsblätter.) If the speeds aren't reached maybe you can get out of the contracts or try to get reductions.

Which Vodafone tariff did you choose? They sometimes offer to downgrade after 12 months. Then you could at least downgrade to the cheapest tier.

And don't forget to cancel the contracts so you don't end up missing the 3 months to the end of a month notice periods because those contract auto-renew after 24 months for another 12 months ad-infinitum. In the future I would recommend you choose monthly contracts e.g. from O2.

I can really feel the Vodafone hate. I should have known better, had some weird issues with them when I first moved to Germany. 

@keith2011 Vodafone sent me the router (which is still in its box) but wouldn't start billing me for 1 year, letting my 1und1 contract run out. The problem is that my 1und1 contract had renewed without me knowing, so I had 2 years left on it rather than 1 and now my free year is running out and I'm stuck with 2 ISPs.

@sneaker I haven't actually hooked up the router they sent me (I'd have to change my whole setup), but I'm wondering if you know of anyone who has managed to get out of a contract due to the speeds being much lower than advertised. I had significant problems with my 1und1 for a little while (internet would cut out around 10 mins at a time for hours a day) and they still claimed it was functioning within normal parameters and I doubt I would have had success getting out of it.

I'm on the cable internet 200, the downgrade option might be a good way to go, but the problem is that upgrading with 1und1 renewed my contract for 2 years and I'm worried that downgrading would do the same. I think I would prefer it if the actual mafia ran our telecommunications.

5 hours ago, Bart Chlebowski said:

I haven't actually hooked up the router they sent me (I'd have to change my whole setup), but I'm wondering if you know of anyone who has managed to get out of a contract due to the speeds being much lower than advertised.

I do. But you have to push it/stand up for your rights. It's not as simple as a 2 minute call to the Hotline.

I'm on the cable internet 200, the downgrade option might be a good way to go, but the problem is that upgrading with 1und1 renewed my contract for 2 years and I'm worried that downgrading would do the same.

They advertise this option right on their website. If you call them before the 13th month has begun there is no extension. If you call after it will run 12 months from the point of downgrade (you still need to cancel after so it doesn't auto-extend).

I would suggest to use their web forum to ask for this so you at least have something in public/documented. Better than calling the Hotline with no proof. The guys working in the forum are also more competent.

vodafone12monthsdowngrade-fs8.png

I hadn't thought of trying their forums. I think a downgrade would put me into a renewal situation at this point based on your info, but maybe I'll have better luck communicating with the staff on there. When I e-mailed their customer service asking about getting out of the contract the response was something along the lines of "lol no". 

Not putting much faith in their customer service though. When I moved into my first apartment here, I was trying to take over the previous renter's Vodafone internet and they kept insisting this is not something they do, even though we were given a form to do just that at one of their stores.

Thanks for the advice!