Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question about Gesetzliche Krankenkasse and Brexit

5 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I moved to Berlin in 2007 and within a couple of months was insured with Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) on a voluntary basis as I was a freelancer. In September 2018 (after some delay so I could get an increased UK State Pension) I completed form S1 and although TK are still my first point of contact, the S1 means that effectively the British National Health Service pays the bills. TK gave me a new card which (with a No-Deal Brexit in sight) was to expire in March this year.

I wrote to TK assuming that No-Deal would happen, and asked them to recommence billing me at the end of March (bear in mind that from 2007 to Sep 2018 I had been their customer). No response. I went to their office in Berlin Rankestrasse and was asked to fill in a form as I was now effectively a new customer. They then told me that because of the political situation, I would be insured on the basis of the S1 until April and gave me a certificate to that effect, and after the political shenanigins they then gave me a new card valid (on the basis of S1) until 31st October this year.

I now have a letter from them stating that in view of the political situation they will look at the situation again "at the end of the year".

Question: can they refuse me membership after 31st October? Worth mentioning that I am now a pensioner (UK State Pension plus a small Final Salary Pension from a previous UK employment).

The other thing perhaps worth mentioning is that after a surprisingly civilised, even friendly reception at the Ausländerbehöre on 4th June I know have an unlimited Aufenthaltstitel (pretty and multi-coloured) in my UK passport!

To be honest, if it's possible to stay with TK I'd prefer to do so - throughout my membership they've been extremely helpful and when my diabetes diagnosis changed, they had no qualms about updating me to a blood-sugar measuring system ("Freestyle Libre") which uses sensors and which apparently costs a fortune.

4 minutes ago, Keefy said:

Ausländerbehöre

Ausländerbehörde. Duuuuuhhh!

Yes, don't worry, after Brexit TK will keep you on, albeit from then on as a paying, voluntary member.

Public health insurance is not allowed to kick people out.

So just hope for a distant Brexit date, because until then you don't have to pay anything ;)

On 17/06/2019, 23:07:27, PandaMunich said:

Yes, don't worry, after Brexit TK will keep you on, albeit from then on as a paying, voluntary member.

Public health insurance is not allowed to kick people out.

So just hope for a distant Brexit date, because until then you don't have to pay anything ;)

A belated "Thank You" to your good self, PandaMunich! (Sorry, been away for quite a while with no computer access).

I have an Einbürgerungstest on 11.09 - Stage 2 in staying here and (sadly, in a way) saying a final farewell to "Brexitannien".

My experience with the  Ausländerbehörde here in RLP has also been civilised, friendly and helpful.