Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gastric bypass surgery

160 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Gambatte... until you have experienced ecessive weight gain and battled against it since the age of 14 or so... you will never understand the torment that it brings...

I can imagine the torment.

I did not eat chocolates for whole lenten season, and felt such torment. But there was a hope for me that I could still enjoy it after lenten season.

I know that what I felt is tiny bit of what you felt.

I would say what is important is just doing your best. Make today slightly better than yesterday, tomorrow better than today.

So that in the end, you can say: I did my best with what is given to me.

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Move more. Eat less. The End

Totally agree with you.

8 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

SP, I stand by my claim: if you are a bit physically active and follow decent nutrition, then you are not fat.

I guess it is not easy for some people to be physically active.

I sometimes have some discomfort here or there, and do not like to do anything.

I imagine those who are not active might have chronic discomfort.

12 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

SP, I stand by my claim: if you are a bit physically active and follow decent nutrition, then you are not fat.

Decent nutrition is a subjective opinion though.

I know may who think  a Leberkäse Semmel or three is a well balanced meal. Mustard is a vegetable etc.

The beer that goes with it is an Erfrischungsgetränk.

10 hours ago, john g. said:

Thank you,Smurf! So what happens at weekends?

I am super active on weekend, do so many things.

In fact shopping for clothes can burn quite a bit of energy as well. Walking down the whole commercial street is quite a bit of exercise, and trying clothes is not comparable to marathon running in terms of intensity, but it takes longer and energy might be comparable. If you scan through several malls, the energy consumption is so obvious to me.

My Sat. is always so busy. Shopping is just one of many things I do.

Sun. is slightly relaxed. If I have spare time, I go for hiking or biking. I really enjoy it so much.

I do not go to gym, it is just too boring. I do not run, another thing so boring and tiring. I lose patience in 5 min at max.

I enjoy ice skating, but cannot do it often.

Biking and hiking is not costly activity that I can enjoy.

Whatever you do, if you make effort to do it right, it is more energy consuming.

For instance, even when I wipe the kitchen counter, I make a lot of effort to have all stains go away. I lived with a roommate for a month when I first moved to Germany. I saw how she does things. after cleaning, there are still stains. Yes, she is fat.

Even when I walk, I make my back very straight, take elastic steps. I do not do this by any intention, but it is just so natural to me. I realize that by doing this, I am also using my muscles on my back around waistline.

Keep your brain very active for thinking at work or at conversations, this must be burning more energy as well.

Also, it is my personality. I cannot give up anything so easily. I have to see the very coffin nailed before cry, otherwise I cannot just admit defeat or so, I would try until last second. This is very tiring myself and sometimes others as well. In other words, energy consuming.

Just do your very best at everything kind of attitude burns more fat I guess.

I have never been fat.

@SpiderPig Well, you could also show more empathy for the alcoholism from which you say Jeremy suffers. He is, after all, powerless over alcohol, if true.

Also, however, we can't 100% blame SL for her entire lack of empathy. Her posting history says she is Chinese. Studies have shown that people from high population density areas frequently demonstrate a complete lack of empathy for other, non-related people. It's something I researched after moving to Mannheim. It's a fascinating concept really. It seems the higher the population density the lower the empathy of individuals. You can duplicate the effect in rats.

30 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

In fact shopping for clothes can burn quite a bit of energy as well. Walking down the whole commercial street is quite a bit of exercise

That is definitely chuckle worthy.

4 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@SpiderPig Well, you could also show more empathy for the alcoholism from which you say Jeremy suffers. He is, after all, powerless over alcohol, if true.

Also, however, we can't 100% blame SL for her entire lack of empathy. Her posting history says she is Chinese. Studies have shown that people from high population density areas frequently demonstrate a complete lack of empathy for other, non-related people. It's something I researched after moving to Mannheim. It's a fascinating concept really. It seems the higher the population density the lower the empathy of individuals. You can duplicate the effect in rats.

Ah.. Gotcha..

So her pathetic and stupid comments are Generic?

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Ah.. Gotcha..

So her pathetic and stupid comments are Generic?

Less generic than involuntary. She has no idea how to show what people from lower population density areas would consider an appropriate amount of empathy. Anecdotally, I know a very wealthy Chinese woman with a very high level education who cannot get hired here because she fails to mesh with the staffs she would run because of a lack of empathy. One of the most successful female managers I know in DE comes from Sweden and is known for her extremely high EQ.

59 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

I wish people would educate themselves before they say things like "walk away from the table" as the one true solution to weight issues. It's willful ignorance that borders on shameful.

Nobody is proffering "walk away" as "the one true solution".    For people who live in Germany and get a yearly checkup from their Doctor and do not suffer from underlying medical issues, they should exercise some self control and get their weight under control.

Alternatively, give everyone who is overweight a participation trophy and ridicule people who enjoy being active and fit.    

14 hours ago, balticus said:

After the marathon, the tank is empty and you can refill with whatever food you want.    The problem is that any excess calories will be converted to fat or "output".    Refilling the tank is not a 100% efficient process.    Thus, you might notice that a lot of long distance runners, especially those who are older and they "empty the tank" a couple of times per week,  are not the fittest looking people.    

This is why you never run the full marathon-distance when preparing yourself to run a marathon.   Even at the peak of your training when the marathon date is approaching you only do a long distance run once a week and maximum around 33-35 km.   The other training days you run around half a marathon.   You only run the full distance the day of the Marathon.

I like how @SmurfLee asks very casually about how long a marathon is, just like implying: I might give it a try next weekend (provided I wake up in a good mood).

9 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I like how @SmurfLee asks very casually about how long a marathon is, just like implying: I might give it a try next weekend (provided I wake up in a good mood).

She already made it down the entire commercial street, so a marathon should be a cakewalk.

57 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Exactly, what I said made you come to conclusion as my "lack of empathy"?

Is it because I told you how much I ate on Sat. and did not gain or could possibly have lost weight?

Did you interpret it as I am trying to make fat people feel miserable.

Then it is your problem how you absorb information. If you keep such negative attitude, I can only imagine you feel miserable. I guess you are fat, or at least you weigh more than what you like.

The point I was trying to make is that as long as you are on normal condition, keeping yourself active burns a lot of calories. "active" does not necessarily mean going to gym or running marathon.

Boston and Los Angeles not less dense than some second level of cities in China. Do you say people in Boston lack of empathy?

Tokyo and Seoul are also very dense as well. Would you say people in there lack of empathy.

I may appear as lack of empathy, because I make a lot of efforts on everything, and if I see people fail and if it appear to be lack of their making efforts, I cannot show understanding. I can hardly understand why people do not make effort to make themselves better. If you call this lack of empathy, I don't know what to say.

15 minutes ago, Krieg said:

This is why you never run the full marathon-distance when preparing yourself to run a marathon.   Even at the peak of your training when the marathon date is approaching you only do a long distance run once a week and maximum around 33-35 km.   The other training days you run around half a marathon.   You only run the full distance the day of the Marathon.

There are many ways to train. 

Suppose it is some sort of 8 week or 16 week plan in which the long run is once per week and starts at 20km and works up to 35km a few weeks before the planned event.  

No matter -  once per week, the tank is emptied and refilled at less than 100% efficiency.    It is not as if those calories automatcally assign themselves to the places where the glycogen has been depleted.   It takes time and it is not totally efficient no matter how nutritious the recovery food is.

For people who train year and do 8-12 races per year, those over 35 years old are not the leanest people in the world.     Many people assume that these "extreme athletes" are all fit and lean.   It is not the case.    If you go to an ultra race, outside of the frontrunners, the people barely look athletic. 

Here's your answer, @SmurfLee

On 6/14/2019, 7:50:07, SmurfLee said:

You are not their biological child

On 6/14/2019, 8:23:10, SmurfLee said:

how can any one let this happen to himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUdaVDeJ_5c

On 6/14/2019, 8:30:45, SmurfLee said:

it is ok to be a bit fat, even if it causes some health problems.

but this level of obesity is i can only say very irresponsible

On 6/14/2019, 3:26:12, SmurfLee said:

I always watch documentaries or movies during dinner.

This week I have been watching UK documentary Only Human Fat Doctor, ...

People with extremely high BMI underwent the surgery. I watched all graphic scenes, because I was curious how the surgery is done.

First of all, I must say I feel so lucky and grateful for what I have.

Then I thought about it, if I would really get one if I was obese.

I think I would not. It is irreversible damage to the body. I care my body too much to undergo such procedure.

I would rather starve myself to lose weight.

Then the documentary says those people cannot have control on how much they eat.

One thing I cannot understand is that such amount of fat is accumulated for very long time. How can any one let go himself or herself for such long time? How can anyone abandon oneself for so long time? How can they don't care their own bodies for so long time?

I think their parents have much to be blamed.

First, gave the children bad genes. Second, they should watch out their children to eat correctly, and establish right life style.

I feel very sorry for those people. Not to mention pride, I would feel just so humiliated by myself without anyone saying anything.

On 6/14/2019, 6:21:49, SmurfLee said:

I do not say all, but more obese people are because of their eating too much, not exercising.

If I eat all I would like to eat everyday, I can become very big too.

But I do not do that because I care about myself. I want to be looking good, do good job, ...

I would never give up myself let go myself, because I am precious! As simple as that.

2 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Exactly, what I said made you come to conclusion as my "lack of empathy"?

Is it because I told you how much I ate on Sat. and did not gain or could possible have lost weight?

Indulging yourself ONE day with 5000 calories is not like you are going to gain any visible or measurable weight.   Your level of hydration makes your weight fluctuate up and down every day making it very difficult or impossible to trace small weight changes.

2 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

The point I am trying to make is that as long as you are on normal condition, keeping yourself active burs a lot of calories. "active"

does not necessarily mean going to gym or running marathon.

Sounds simple but it is not.  Our bodies are efficiency machines, they adapt to the most extreme conditions because surviving is the priority.   

For example, a very unfit person starts doing some exercise.  The first weeks the person will lose weight, a combination of losing retained water and burning fat because of the exercise.   But with the time your muscles become a bit toned and your body become more efficient.  On top of that you already lost a bit of weight, so the less baggage to carry the less your burn.   So burning fat becomes more difficult.

For plenty of people the problem is not been inactive, it is a combination of several other things.   Have you never seen a fat postman?  or a fat construction worker?

7 minutes ago, balticus said:

There are many ways to train. 

Suppose it is some sort of 8 week or 16 week plan in which the long run is once per week and starts at 20km and works up to 35km a few weeks before the planned event.  

No matter -  once per week, the tank is emptied and refilled at less than 100% efficiency.    It is not as if those calories automatcally assign themselves to the places where the glycogen has been depleted.   It takes time and it is not totally efficient no matter how nutritious the recovery food is.

For people who train year and do 8-12 races per year, those over 35 years old are not the leanest people in the world.     Many people assume that these "extreme athletes" are all fit and lean.   It is not the case.    If you go to an ultra race, outside of the frontrunners, the people barely look athletic. 

True, I understand this and never do such extreme sports.

In my opinion it is good only for training your mental strength.

People always tell me I look very athletic. I try to keep active without making myself feel so difficult, only with enjoyable activities.

6 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Here's your answer, @SmurfLee

If you call these lack of empanty, I can name quite few extremely lack of empathy.

At least I stated the truth without deform or exaggeration.

And my point was always when you can make choices, why don't you choose something that makes your life better.

Some TTers use deforming and exaggerating to make some others feel miserable.