Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gastric bypass surgery

160 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, slammer said:

Exercise is bullshit, you actually gain weight from muscle build up.

Thats why every person who does sport is fat.

6 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

But for most people the honest truth is they would rather be fat than make the sacrifices to be thin.

I agree entirely with this but see the issue about being more than restricting yourself and just doing without.

It is a lot of effort to build up and sustain the physical effor that needs to accompany any sustainable weight loss plan. 

It is even more effort ot address the personal issues that have led to the state of affairs. What is eating you?

Not just what are you eating and can you eat less of it.

This emotional point I don't think the OP has either the experience or empathy to understand. Hence comes across as a little crass although well meaning. 

6 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Diets and exercise fail for a simple reason: people dont like them.

With respect to exercise, this is an area where parents can make a huge impact.   If parents are sedentary, it might ingrain some unhealthy habits in their kids.   If parents are active and at least pretend to like being active, it influences their kids.

Having the time to exercise is a luxury.   I work out as often as I can because i like working out.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

... a group of guys with whom he has worked out for 40+ years.  They now walk together.

One approach to maintaining a routine is to structure your activities the same way you would if you were meeting for coffee / drinks / lunch with people you enjoy seeing.    If you are jogging or walking with a relaxed pace, it is possible to converse and enjoy the social aspects.    

22 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

I agree entirely with this but see the issue about being more than restricting yourself and just doing without.

I have a difficult time believing that even half the people who are obese have psychological problems rather than suboptimal impulse control.     If it would not be the case, overweight people would be even more socially isolated.   

32 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

It is even more effort ot address the personal issues that have led to the state of affairs. What is eating you?

That is the point I was trying to make. Sometimes the extra weight is just a symptom of the real problem. 

My father is extremely overweight. He wasn’t always like that. He was a beanstalk in his youth and early adulthood. 

I’m not a psychologist, but I suspect it was his way of comforting himself, when everything else was shit. 

He had a crappy job, probably not as happy a marriage as they try to portray, and couldn’t keep up with the bills, among other things. 

As long as there was food, he must be doing something right. The one pleasure he could enjoy, and enjoy, and enjoy some more. 

4 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Thats why every person who does sport is fat.

I do sport.

22 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

you are heading for dumbest user award too!!

Shall we all lose weight and die skinny?   is that the way to die?

@SpiderPig, i read this after midnight last night and burst out thunderous laughter.

you are not qualified for dying if you don't lose weight first!

you are so funny, very cute kind of humor.

i count calories.

i had 2 chia breads, 150g almonds, 1 chicken leg, 85g milk bar, 100g chocolate, 1.5l water, 3 bananas, 450g tofu, will have some tomatoes later.

i tried to have less calories than usual sat. because i bought a short jean today, on sale only for 18 euro.

going for biking, not to lose weight, but because i enjoy it.

i never go to gym, because tooo boring.

planning to go for hiking tomorrow. i have been under great stress for a while, need to balance myself.

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

@SpiderPig, i read this after midnight last night and burst out thunderous laughter.

you are not qualified for dying if you don't lose weight first!

you are so funny, very cute kind of humor.

I love that " burst out thunderous laughter "...

It reminds me of my English teacher at school when I was about 13 and I kept laughing one day when he kept stuttering...he stood up, made me stand as well and stuttered the words.."Gunn, if you don´t behave, I shall erupt upon you like a volcano."

( took him about 5 minutes to say it and I struggled to keep silent!)

:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

i count calories.

i had 2 chia breads, 150g almonds, 1 chicken leg, 85g milk bar, 100g chocolate, 1.5l water, 3 bananas, 450g tofu

cvc.png.05c0aacfa5d9407111406365119fe394

of course, the "vegetarian" who eats no veg! 

I am wondering where this calorie counting is going when - if you were actually counting for real - you'd note that 150g of almonds, at about 850 calories, is roughly half a day's total allowance for a person who claims to be small.  The rest is calorie dense too not to mention carb and sugar heavy, with somewhat narrow nutritional value.  no wonder you feel like shit.  Eat a freaking salad. 

Oh that's right, you only eat stuff from a can or package.  Nevermind.

in all seriousness, there is a point no one has yet mentioned:  fat cells are forever.

So even when you lose weight, existing fat cells merely shrink, they do not "go away", and some data suggests that existing fat cells are replaced with new ones as the old ones die.  You can essentially never reduce the number of fat cells in your body once they are formed, you can only shrink their size, your number of fat cells can only INCREASE in the course of your life.  Liposuction is the only way to actually reduce the number, but strangely enough, one side effect of liposuction can be "compensatory fat gain" - usually in the form of visceral fat (the most dangerous kind).  Weird, eh?  

Anyway, this is believed to be a significant factor in many people's failure to maintain weight loss over time..  Fat cells also produce their own hormones - most notably leptin, which causes feelings of hunger - but also compounds that alter metabolism and insulin sensitivity.  Fat cells even produce estrone, an estrogen, which is thought to be a factor in breast and other cancers (not the same as estradiol, which is a "healthy" estrogen).  The more fat cells you have, the more these hormones and compounds affect your body, even if the cells are in a shrunken state - they want to be full and are sending chemical signals that try to accomplish that.  

It's a deep and complex topic that has a lot of hidden and undiscovered corners, but the bottom line is that if a person has already become overweight or obese, the prescription for weight loss and overall health is altered simply because that person has and will always have more fat cells than someone who has never been overweight.

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

I've heard that Spiderpig is very fond of spitroasting things. :o

As in roasting everybody else, and then spitting venom when he gets push back? ;)

8 minutes ago, Metall said:

As in roasting everybody else, and then spitting venom when he gets push back? ;)

I couldn't possibly comment.

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

It's a deep and complex topic that has a lot of hidden and undiscovered corners, but the bottom line is that if a person has already become overweight or obese, the prescription for weight loss and overall health is altered simply because that person has and will always have more fat cells than someone who has never been overweight.

The same mechanisms apply to smokers, drinkers and drug addicts who quit.  

Is there anyone alive who is unaware that being obese  (like smoking, drinking heavily, and drugging too much) is really bad for health?    Personally, i am not completely against stigmatizing unhealthy behavior.   

Most people pay more attention to the hardware specs of a new phone or computer than their diet and exercise routine.    

It is not really so obscure, complex or difficult. 

Just now, balticus said:

Most people pay more attention to the hardware specs of a new phone or computer than their diet and exercise routine.    

Well, of course. We plan on keeping that phone for at least two years. That body is going to suddenly become beach ready in just a few short weeks, so why put so much thought into it. :P

4 hours ago, lisa13 said:

in all seriousness, there is a point no one has yet mentioned:  fat cells are forever.

So even when you lose weight, existing fat cells merely shrink, they do not "go away", and some data suggests that existing fat cells are replaced with new ones as the old ones die.  You can essentially never reduce the number of fat cells in your body once they are formed, you can only shrink their size, your number of fat cells can only INCREASE in the course of your life.  Liposuction is the only way to actually reduce the number, but strangely enough, one side effect of liposuction can be "compensatory fat gain" - usually in the form of visceral fat (the most dangerous kind).  Weird, eh?  

Anyway, this is believed to be a significant factor in many people's failure to maintain weight loss over time..  Fat cells also produce their own hormones - most notably leptin, which causes feelings of hunger - but also compounds that alter metabolism and insulin sensitivity.  Fat cells even produce estrone, an estrogen, which is thought to be a factor in breast and other cancers (not the same as estradiol, which is a "healthy" estrogen).  The more fat cells you have, the more these hormones and compounds affect your body, even if the cells are in a shrunken state - they want to be full and are sending chemical signals that try to accomplish that.  

it works for me anyway. i am 46-47kg.

on sat. i usually eat 4-5000 cal. yesterday was less.

i did so many things yesterday, probably comsumed most what i ate yesterday , or burned some fat. i got new short jean yesterday, mini length. want to be looking good in that.

it is not just weight. if i keep active, muscles are toned, legs look better.

had some veg when i had tofu, forgot writing.

3 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Smurfy dear, I believe we have just experienced a successful Pig roast. 

in fact i feel sorry for him.