Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gastric bypass surgery

160 posts in this topic

HoooBoy! My kind of thread.

How does one get so obese? Step by little step and the best bit is you don´t notice until it´s too late.

With me it was extreme sleep apnea, and I mean apnea with suffocation, and hallucinations and sick and vomiting at night and breathing it in (If you have never seared your lungs with your own stomach acid you have no idea what you are talking about) Combined with a change of job, going from running around the globe to a desk job meant that I topped out at 256 kgs.

Seven years later and a CPAP I have lost almost 100 kgs, I swim, free-dive, ride motorbike and you can find me at the gym at least four times a week, I also like sparring and according to the doc I am "surprisingly healthy for a 60 year old super, super morbid obese person (yes that is a thing)

So what do I bring from all this?

Diating is bullshit. Sweetie, when your vegan juice cleanse can get shut of 50 kgs instead of 2lb´s get back to me.

Exercise is bullshit, you actually gain weight from muscle build up.

Gastric bypass is bullshit, friends have done it and they look like a walking scrotum, also they need chemical supplements and they can´t burp.

My advice is to toggle the switch in your head, you´ll get there, and regard at all you other skinnies as "puny humans"

Losing significant weight leaves you with lots of wrinkles, fissures, even.  And if you wait too long, until you're old, even losing lesser amounts of weight will do the same thing to your body.  
But nobody wants to die fat.  Find a regimen that works - weight loss provides all sorts of side benefits: increased strength, endurance, just plain feeling good.  It even makes your relatives and friends happy. :)  

1 minute ago, katheliz said:

But nobody wants to die fat.   

you are heading for dumbest user award too!!

Shall we all lose weight and die skinny?   is that the way to die?

1 minute ago, katheliz said:

But nobody wants to die fat.

Why not? I get extreme pleasure imagining my pallbearers struggling with an XXXXXL coffin.

7 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

I always watch documentaries or movies during dinner.

This week I have been watching UK documentary Only Human Fat Doctor, ...

People with extremely high BMI underwent the surgery. I watched all graphic scenes, because I was curious how the surgery is done.

First of all, I must say I feel so lucky and grateful for what I have.

Then I thought about it, if I would really get one if I was obese.

I think I would not. It is irreversible damage to the body. I care my body too much to undergo such procedure.

I would rather starve myself to lose weight.

Then the documentary says those people cannot have control on how much they eat.

One thing I cannot understand is that such amount of fat is accumulated for very long time. How can any one let go himself or herself for such long time? How can anyone abandon oneself for so long time? How can they don't care their own bodies for so long time?

I think their parents have much to be blamed.

First, gave the children bad genes. Second, they should watch out their children to eat correctly, and establish right life style.

I feel very sorry for those people. Not to mention pride, I would feel just so humiliated by myself without anyone saying anything.

I have watched many episodes of this series with my daughter when she was researching obesity issues for a school project. You really do need to understand the fact that each episode demonstrates the many different factors influencing a person's journey to obestiy and their subsequent desire to reverse the damage that they have inflicted on themselves.   

The program does NOT cast blame on anyone.

59 minutes ago, slammer said:

Yes, if you build muscle, you could gain weight but still lose inches and with more muscle, you burn more so you can eat more :)

i hope everyone can find a way to stay healthier, weight is not the parameter we should care, bp, bg, cholesterol, energy level, etc.

mist of all, as long as you can accept yourself and feel content, nothing else really matters.

9 hours ago, slammer said:

So what do I bring from all this?

Diating is bullshit. Sweetie, when your vegan juice cleanse can get shut of 50 kgs instead of 2lb´s get back to me.

Congrats on losing some weight, but i would not agree with a dismissal of dieting or exercise.

There seems to be a lot of literature that strongly suggests that keeping a healthy weight and exercising moderately increases the odds of avoiding health problems and living longer.  

Being overweight seems a bit like smoking - it might not kill you directly, but it makes your odds of good health less favorable.    If you can avoid it, the quality of life + health will be improved.

Diats, exercise etc. help with weightloss, but unless your mind is set you won´t be happy with the results. That is why a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight put it back on as soon as they have lost a few kilos. I know people who have had bypass surgery and they lost a lot, but they soon found a way to cheat the bypass and in the end they were back to the way they were before.

1 hour ago, slammer said:

Diats, exercise etc. help with weightloss, but unless your mind is set you won´t be happy with the results. That is why a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight put it back on as soon as they have lost a few kilos. I know people who have had bypass surgery and they lost a lot, but they soon found a way to cheat the bypass and in the end they were back to the way they were before.

I don't think they put the weight back because they are not happy with the results.  I think they put it back because they didn't change their lifestyle permanently.  If a person gravitates to putting on weight due to their lifestyle, whether it's lack of exercise, eating too much or probably both in most cases, they can lose weight by temporarily changing their lifestyle but as soon as they go back to their old lifestyle, they put it back on.

Diets and exercise fail for a simple reason: people dont like them.

People go on a calorie controlled diet for a few months "to get thin for summer" or whatever and hate it. Counting calories, points, grams of fat. It's a pain and you can't eat what you want. Anyway its summer now so it's too late, I'll try again next year.

Same with the gym. Go to a gym, work like a dog sweat like a pig, lose your social life because you have no time. First time it rains, oh ill go tomorrow instead, I went to the gym yesterday so its cheat meal today...

So people dont stick with any of it.

People who find a sport they love, fall in love with growing their own vegetable and cooking them or whatever, those people succeed.  But for most people the honest truth is they would rather be fat than make the sacrifices to be thin.

I watched a few episodes of Rangan Chattergee's Doctor in the House.  He's an NHS general practitioner who believes that in a perfect world, a doctor needs to treat patients holistically.  His main question is 'what do you eat?'

He too refers to typical weight loss diets and calorie counting being unsustainable and has proved that learning to eat healthier will result in weight loss and general well being.  And, a great many ailments that are traditionally treated with a cocktail of pharmaceuticals, can be cured...i.e. type 2 diabetes etc. 

Several episodes are on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=rangan+chatterjee+doctor+in+the+house

If people rely on exercise to control their weight, then they are doomed to fail.  As they get older, exercising gets harder. Not overeating is the only viable option, perhaps linked gentle exercise for general well-being.

42 minutes ago, hooperski said:

As they get older, exercising gets harder.

Funny enough, I just got this from a doctor friend today -

...reminds me of my friend John Smith (friend in Poulsbo) who has a group of guys with whom he has worked out for 40+ years.  They now walk together.

2 hours ago, hooperski said:

If people rely on exercise to control their weight, then they are doomed to fail.  As they get older, exercising gets harder. Not overeating is the only viable option, perhaps linked gentle exercise for general well-being.

There is so called twin research where doctors like to research identical twins, especially those who have not grown up together, to see where the differences lie.  They found that in almost all cases, identical twins weigh almost the same in spite of having grown up with and still maintaining different diets and exercise routines.  So IMO there must be a genetic component.  Whether you are eating broccoli or butter, some people seem to have a built in calorie counter and they stop when it's enough.  They found that the only thing that makes a real difference is if one twin is into extreme sport like running marathons or something like that.

4 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

But for most people the honest truth is they would rather be fat than make the sacrifices to be thin.

I think you hit the nail on the head there.  Two of my relatives lost a vast amount of weight on keto.  Guess what happened.  Keto is no fun and so they stopped and now they are either the same as they were before or working on getting there.

17 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Two of my relatives lost a vast amount of weight on keto.  Guess what happened.  Keto is no fun and so they stopped and now they are either the same as they were before or working on getting there.

This applies to virtually all the men I know, pretty much all of them have at some point lost shed loads of weight on keto (or another atkins style diet) and within about 5 years they were all back to "normal" though still strong believers in keto.  Even the natually thin and athletic guys have mostly tried it and most seem to find it good.

Quite why it seems to be only men that lose loads of weight on keto I dont know, but from what Ive read it isnt just a coindicence of my friends it seems that for some reason it works better for blokes than for women.  

And interestingly, the next generation of fad diets isnt just keto, its so called Carnivore where people only eat meat.  The most famous proponent is probably Jordan Peterson who claims to only eat beef!

6 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Quite why it seems to be only men that lose loads of weight on keto I dont know, but from what Ive read it isnt just a coindicence of my friends it seems that for some reason it works better for blokes than for women.  

One of my two relatives who tried it is female and it worked well for her but she was very strict with it, even to the point of asking in restaurants about sauces etc. to find out exactly what is in them.