Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gastric bypass surgery

160 posts in this topic

I always watch documentaries or movies during dinner.

This week I have been watching UK documentary Only Human Fat Doctor, ...

People with extremely high BMI underwent the surgery. I watched all graphic scenes, because I was curious how the surgery is done.

First of all, I must say I feel so lucky and grateful for what I have.

Then I thought about it, if I would really get one if I was obese.

I think I would not. It is irreversible damage to the body. I care my body too much to undergo such procedure.

I would rather starve myself to lose weight.

Then the documentary says those people cannot have control on how much they eat.

One thing I cannot understand is that such amount of fat is accumulated for very long time. How can any one let go himself or herself for such long time? How can anyone abandon oneself for so long time? How can they don't care their own bodies for so long time?

I think their parents have much to be blamed.

First, gave the children bad genes. Second, they should watch out their children to eat correctly, and establish right life style.

I feel very sorry for those people. Not to mention pride, I would feel just so humiliated by myself without anyone saying anything.

1 minute ago, catjones said:

I was watching a documentary on haircuts.  Actually, it was "Haircuts Around the World".  Specifically, "Bad Haircuts Around the World".  I think I have a pretty good haircut, but when I see other haircuts I wonder if these people were raised with bad haircuts or they just have bad taste or vision or lack of style.

I've been thinking about this (and other things which I've posted) for a long time.

Bad haircut does not matter. It will grow back soon.

No matter how bad haircut I get, after each haircut, I get light briskly mood.

16 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

People are more accepting of some diseases, disorders and weaknesses than they are of others 

It is simply more noticeable if you have a weight problem, no matter the underlying cause. Simply starving yourself won’t solve those issues. 

I think your post is ill-advised and ill-informed. 

My issue isn’t with weight, but with alcohol. In that case, starving is exactly what the doctor ordered (almost a year for me now), but while also working on the underlying cause of my past heavy drinking. 

I am “lucky” that my disease, disorder, weakness isn’t so visible. People didn’t start looking at me differently when I was actively drinking. They started that when I came out and said, I’m an alcoholic, checked into detox, then rehab and quit drinking. 

I believe everyone has addiction on one or two things.

My addiction is on sweets, especially chocolates. I crave in that. But still manageable. During whole lenten season, I did not have any chocolates or anything contains chocolate.

You may say then it is not addiction.

I do not know how much I have to struggle to be called addiction. But I did struggle every time when I went to store.

I tried to distract myself, tried to find another food that I can enjoy as much.

I found that there is a way to make you really like certain food by your choice.

You make yourself very hungry, and eat the food. Repeat this many times, then you will find that you start to like the food most. It becomes like when you think about having some food, the first thing comes to your mind is the food on which you trained yourself.

I can never understand addiction on alcohol or tobacco.

Just now, SmurfLee said:

I can never understand addition on alcohol or tobacco.

1 alcohol + 1 alcohol = 2 alcohols

2 tobaccos + 2 tobaccos = 4 tobaccos

HTH

13 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

People are more accepting of some diseases, disorders and weaknesses than they are of others 

It is simply more noticeable if you have a weight problem, no matter the underlying cause. Simply starving yourself won’t solve those issues. 

There are some medical issues (thyroid or mobility for example), but being obese is largely a function of diet.  

I worked with a guy in US who told me this very funny story.    This is back in the 1970s (pre-internet) and his overweight Dad sent in $10 or $20 or some amount which was a lot of money back then for a "100% money back guaranteed way to lose weight".  

2-3 weeks later, a small envelope arrived with the Diet Company's logo on the outside and a small piece of paper on the inside with two words:   "Eat less."

16 minutes ago, balticus said:

There are some medical issues (thyroid or mobility for example), but being obese is largely a function of diet.  

I worked with a guy in US who told me this very funny story.    This is back in the 1970s (pre-internet) and his overweight Dad sent in $10 or $20 or some amount which was a lot of money back then for a "100% money back guaranteed way to lose weight".  

2-3 weeks later, a small envelope arrived with the Diet Company's logo on the outside and a small piece of paper on the inside with two words:   "Eat less."

LOL, very funny.

If the contract says that the man would not be able to get reimbursement if the failure is due to his failing to follow the instruction, the man cannot get back the money.

I do agree with you that obesity has most to do with eating habit and life style.

We cannot create energy via photosynthesis. If you eat more than what you consume, the surplus is becoming weight.

All fat people in the documentaries say that they ate enormous amount of food. For one meal, 4 big burger, 4 pack chips, and so on... Even on weekend, I cannot eat that much, 4 big burger for one meal!!!!!!

There are some medical conditions. Some say that because of loss of certain function of certain protein, some brains cannot receive the signal of being full, and those people feel hungry all the time.

I can imagine it must be so miserable to feel hungry all the time.

Sometimes when I feel hungry, if I have to finish something, and continue the work, after 10-20 min, the feeling goes away, and I feel very energetic again.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

I just said underlying cause. I didn’t limit it to medical issues, so don’t try to do that for me. 

Starving yourself will not solve those issues and is not healthy.  Eating less (or healthier) will, however, reduce the weight symptom caused by the underlying problem(s). 

2 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

I

I think their parents have much to be blamed.

First, gave the children bad genes. Second, they should watch out their children to eat correctly, and establish right life style.

I feel very sorry for those people. Not to mention pride, I would feel just so humiliated by myself without anyone saying anything.

You have just over-stepped the mark...

I am over weight.. obese even...    How the fucking hell can someone who claims to super intelligent have such a pathetic and narrow minded opinion and have the down right rudeness to blame my parents for it!

You are the nastiest fucking troll on this site.. you have secured yourself the Spiderpig Crown... 

You are dumb.. dumb as a fucking house brick!... 

I hope you get banned for insulting people that struggle with a battle against weight gain... 

Now FUCK OFF back under your bridge!

More people are obese than you think. 

Morbid obesity (BMI of over 40 or 35 with associated health issues such as high blood pressure or diabetes) is another health ball park.

Lot of sweeping generalizations being bandied around here folks.

1 hour ago, A.N.Other said:

I just said underlying cause. I didn’t limit it to medical issues, so don’t try to do that for me. 

Starving yourself will not solve those issues and is not healthy.  Eating less (or healthier) will, however, reduce the weight symptom caused by the underlying problem(s). 

In fact what the surgery is doing is same as starving, the only difference is that you can have satisfaction with food a bit.

11 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

More people are obese than you think. 

Morbid obesity (BMI of over 40 or 35 with associated health issues such as high blood pressure or diabetes) is another health ball park.

Lot of sweeping generalizations being bandied around here folks.

I do not say all, but more obese people are because of their eating too much, not exercising.

If I eat all I would like to eat everyday, I can become very big too.

But I do not do that because I care about myself. I want to be looking good, do good job, ....

I would never give up myself let go myself, because I am precious! As simple as that.

Too much food, probably, wrong type of food, definitely.

There weren't too many fat people about during and just after WW2.

Rationing and the fact that people cooked their own food from scratch being a factor.

Today people consume vast amounts of sugar that is in pretty much every processed product.

Westernised countries sell "Lite" products and their customers are some of the most obese.

Sadly, people need to be educated on what is actually in their food.

Piggy. Whether or not Smurf Lee is dumb, I can't say.  However children do learn from their parents.

Blaming the parents for everything makes me sick. Most extremely obese people have deep rooted issues - perhaps having been molested, etc. While I know that in a few cases, the parents were horrible but not always.

I have friends with obese children, drug addicted children, etc. These same people have other children with none of these issues.

Please stop blaming the parents. Once an adult, we all make our own choices healthy or otherwise.

True that we make our own choices, but some of our actions we just pick up subliminally as very young children.

Really??

I have never seen my dad absolutely shitfaced .. let alone shitfaced with the munchies for Pizza or whatever is in the fridge.. I have also never seen my father shave... EVER!... I recall that he shaved his beard off once... but I never saw him do it... Neither have I ever seen my Mum do either of the above too...

Please explain..

2 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Around 30% of Americans are obese.   

What are these underlying causes which are not medical issues of which you speak?   

Should one assume when meeting someone who is obese, say in a professional setting or at a dinner party, that they  have underlying issues?   Yikes!