Scum vote for scum - the Tory leadership race

57 posts in this topic

A new JP video, I will have to go and watch that now!

I've been impressed with most of what I've heard Rory Stewart say the last week. He seems the most statesman-like person out of all of them when it comes to public speaking.

With Raab, McVey, and Leadsom gone, at least that's the hard brexiteers out.

Not sure if Boris really would want to preside over a hard brexit since he has longed to be PM for such a long time, that would he really risk being the shortest serving Prime Minister ever?

More slime, it makes my skin crawl.  How fucking embarrasing with the world watching this.

The international development secretary was eliminated after coming last with 27 votes, 10 fewer than last time.

He said his warnings about a no-deal Brexit "probably proved to be truths people weren't quite ready to hear".

Boris Johnson topped the vote again with 143 votes, 17 more than last time. Jeremy Hunt came second with 54, Michael Gove got 51 and Sajid Javid 38.

I mean what sort of festering excrement makes up the 1922 Committee?

Not just looks like, is also apeing him. Check out the stupid long tie and manspreading at the BBC debate.

Shudders.

Javid is now out and Gove has crept slightly ahead of Hunt. There has been no word of another TV debate between the final two, but I don't think I could stomach a Johnson and Gove debate. Johnson is a mendacious idiot and Gove a complete prat, shouting down everybody during the BBC debate. Hunt at least behaves civilly (judging from the BBC debate), though I wouldn't trust him. As for Stewart, he comes across well... until, as hooperski points out, you look at his voting record. An engaging manner, but a true blue Tory at heart.

The world must be thinking the UK is a complete basket case.

What are the drawbacks to Jeremy Hunt as party leader / PM ?

4 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Javid is now out and Gove has crept slightly ahead of Hunt. There has been no word of another TV debate between the final two, but I don't think I could stomach a Johnson and Gove debate. Johnson is a mendacious idiot and Gove a complete prat, shouting down everybody during the BBC debate. Hunt at least behaves civilly (judging from the BBC debate), though I wouldn't trust him. As for Stewart, he comes across well... until, as hooperski points out, you look at his voting record. An engaging manner, but a true blue Tory at heart.

The world must be thinking the UK is a complete basket case.

The Conservative membership seems to care about two things (well, three if you include crushing the most vulnerable), an ERG-approved Brexit and fox hunting. 

Rory Stewart's voting history may show that he is very much a tow-the-party-line MP, but I think from his mannerisms he would have been a good compromise candidate. If he sticks to his word, he won't take a role in a Johnson Government so remains to be seen if his stock will rise now.

43 minutes ago, balticus said:

What are the drawbacks to Jeremy Hunt as party leader / PM

Theresa in Trousers' (The Guardian's John Crace described him as "a man who has never managed to find an audience he couldn't underwhelm"): his handling of the NHS doesn't exactly inspire confidence. From pre-health minister days when he was in favour of "denationalising" health provision, to the days in office when he managed to get the junior doctors to go on strike, attempted to close wards in London, lying about the amount of money he was going to put into the NHS, lying about the cost of overseas doctors...there are a few more. Oh, and how about that trip to China as Foreign Secretary when he told the audience that his (Chinese) wife was Japanese?, or on a more deadly note, his efforts this year in trying to get the Germans to lift the ban on arms sales to Saudi, and support for the UK arms sales to Saudi (which was blocked yesterday).

Sadly, all of that, doesn't make him necessarily the worst of the two available options. Where are the John Bellinghams of yesteryear? Is it wrong to want a (small and well targeted) terrorist incident during the head to head debate on 9 July? 

1 hour ago, Mackle said:

The Conservative membership seems to care about two things (well, three if you include crushing the most vulnerable), an ERG-approved Brexit and fox hunting. 

Rory Stewart's voting history may show that he is very much a tow-the-party-line MP, but I think from his mannerisms he would have been a good compromise candidate. If he sticks to his word, he won't take a role in a Johnson Government so remains to be seen if his stock will rise now.

He's claiming to represent the centre ground, or is at least trying to appeal to those who consider themselves centrists. From his voting record I just don't see that (e.g. for the bedroom tax, against a mansion tax, against laws to promote equality and human rights, against raising welfare benefits, for reforming the NHS so GPs buy services for patients, for tuition fees, for raising tuition fees, etc.). So I wonder if the centrist talk is just a ploy to win over those who might normally vote Lib Dem or Labour. 

16 hours ago, dstanners said:

Is it wrong to want a (small and well targeted) terrorist incident during the head to head debate on 9 July? 

What terrorist would be stupid enough to ge rid of these two cancerous boils of the UK's back? They're not going to waste their time.

18 hours ago, rodisi said:

What terrorist would be stupid enough to get rid of these two cancerous boils off the UK's back? They're not going to waste their time.

Reminds me of Adolf during the last months of the war, the Brits were planning to assassinate him but then decided to leave him in place because he was doing more damage to the German war effort than if he was removed.

Serial liar, racist, misogynist and total weapon, Boris and his fiancee pictured earlier in a totally unstaged scene.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/D90K5KuXkAArsdo-768x598.jpg