Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finanzamt Payment Plan ???

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone got the finanzamt to give them a payment plan? I have a large tax big... larger than most people's gross income.. I just emailed them asking if they would agree .. any insight anybody? 

I did that several years ago when I was freelancing. 

They may not have been happy about it, but agreed to something like 1000 or so per month to pay it off. You will be charged interest, and I have heard that it really depends on the regional tax office and the employee you are dealing with. 

PS: I went to them with an actual breakdown of my cash assets, expected income and suggested payment plan. I didn’t simply ask, “can I pay in installments?”

I really don’t remember how much I paid per month, but it was probably higher than the 1,000 I stated above. I was probably about 25,000 short and am pretty sure I paid it off within a year. This was back in 2006 and I simply can’t recall the exact details. 

I also did this a few years ago, and they definitely want a breakdown of your monthly costs.  Also, they can reject your proposed payment plan and force you to pay more if they think you can afford it.  

43 minutes ago, Santitas said:

Also, they can reject your proposed payment plan and force you to pay more if they think you can afford it.  

Yes. I definitely remember needing to tighten my belt back then. 

It can take years before you stop feeling the effect of those few years of living large and forgetting about the taxman. 

OP, I can probably even tell you exactly what happened. You are a freelancer with high incomings every month. 

You did your taxes for 2018, having paid little to nothing upfront. Now the taxman is here and wants all of 2018 plus half of 2019, assuming you have similar incomings. You have a lot of it but not all, and weren’t counting on paying anything for 2019 at all. 

Welcome to freelancing. Most of us went through the same thing. In fact it hit me even harder. I didn’t do 2004 until the end of 2005. I got my bill in 2006 for all of 2004 and 2005 and the first quarter of 2006, knowing the second quarter was right around the corner. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

OP, I can probably even tell you exactly what happened. You are a freelancer with high incomings every month. 

Man I got hit HARD ! I'm considered a high earner.. in 2016 I made half what I made now, and I didn't pay much, just a few thousand ... then did 2017 & 2018 together recently and now they want near 4x the taxes of 2016 plus 2019 upfront .. the fuck! How am I supposed to operate my business!? Let alone buy things and spend money with the local economy.. 

Now I'm starting to understand why Germans don't buy things / are cheap... lol I was about to buy a car this summer too.. not happening .. 

I can't afford to pay the lump sum they're asking .. I'm scared they will force me to .. I guess now I learned my lesson and to save a lot more than I thought.. this hurts.. I thought I was doing well but I guess I'm in the red badly..  i did the asset declaration today.. It got me super scared listing everything I own.. felt like I was going bankrupt 

Well the good news is, you are still earning good money and the finanzamt will very likely work out a payment plan with you, as it isn’t in their interest for you to go bankrupt. 

The belt will definitely be very tight for the foreseeable future though, and remain tighter than it has been for the past 2 years. 

Been there, done that. Good luck. 

9 hours ago, heathergramz said:

Man I got hit HARD ! I'm considered a high earner.. in 2016 I made half what I made now, and I didn't pay much, just a few thousand ... then did 2017 & 2018 together recently and now they want near 4x the taxes of 2016 plus 2019 upfront .. the fuck! How am I supposed to operate my business!? Let alone buy things and spend money with the local economy.. 

Now I'm starting to understand why Germans don't buy things / are cheap... lol I was about to buy a car this summer too.. not happening .. 

I can't afford to pay the lump sum they're asking .. I'm scared they will force me to .. I guess now I learned my lesson and to save a lot more than I thought.. this hurts.. I thought I was doing well but I guess I'm in the red badly..  i did the asset declaration today.. It got me super scared listing everything I own.. felt like I was going bankrupt 

Sorry to hear about your problems.   

I know one person (a German) who arranged a payment plan.    According to him, the main goal of the FA is to get its money rather than punish potential payers.  

You don't mention the type of business you run, but if you are collecting VAT, you should probably be filing something on Elster every month and paying every quarter.   

With respect to quarterly taxes, the projections are based on the previous year.   Suppose you plan to take time off or you are ill and not working, those payment amounts can be negotiated with the FA.

In all of this, i see no mention of a Steuerberater.   Do you have someone who is advising you or representing you in talks with the FA?

Good luck. 

OP knows about the VAT, otherwise she’d be posting this from Jail. 

Unlike income tax, the Finanzamt doesn’t have a sense of humor when it comes to VAT. 

That was never your money not to have and they want it on time, no ifs, ands or buts.