How do I go about employing someone as a midi job?

5 posts in this topic

The situation is this: I am an EU citizen, currently registered in Berlin, and I would like to hire a friend (also an EU citizen, not here yet) to help me with a project. And I would like to do this as legally as possible.

I know I have three options:

-- Giving him a minijob, which seems rather trivial to set up, from what I have read online. The problem with this is that I would like to pay him more than 450EUR (maybe 600EUR).

-- Asking him to become self-employed, which is also well-described online. The problem with this is that (I think) he would need to get private health insurance, which can get pricey (he has a pre-existing health condition).

-- Giving him a midijob. This sounds ideal, but I cannot find any guides to the process of hiring someone. (I know I will need to make extra payments on top of the salary, of various kinds, and have even found calculators -- but no idea as to where/when to send the money. Also, don't I need to register the employment contract somewhere?)

I would welcome any information, advice, links to documents! I can read German pretty comfortably, but (clearly) lack the correct vocabulary to do the right internet search.

Maria

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

A Steuerberater can help you set this up.

Or a Lohnbüro (aka Gehaltsservice).

-- Giving him a midijob. This sounds ideal, but I cannot find any guides to the process of hiring someone. (I know I will need to make extra payments on top of the salary, of various kinds, and have even found calculators -- but no idea as to where/when to send the money. 

You make three monthly payments:

1. Net salary to your employee

2. Withholding income tax to the Finanzamt

3. All social security contributions (I.e. health insurance, unemployment insurance, and pension contributions) as well as the Umlagen to the Krankenkasse.

If you use a service, they can calculate all the amounts using their software and issue the Lohnabrechnung.  

Also, don't I need to register the employment contract somewhere?)