Statutory time off work for a job interview?

10 posts in this topic

Do I get a no-strings day’s leave from my current work to attend an interview with a potential new employer?

is it like in the UK where you just mention to your boss that you have an interview on such and such a day, and you just pop it in the calendar? Or do people typically take paid annual leave? Or something else?

The employer is only required to give you time off work to attend an interview if the contract has already been terminated, I believe that fixed term contracts coming to an end also fall under this category.

But it must be agreed with the employer in advance as to the date, time and length of the absence.

https://www.anwalt.de/rechtstipps/vorstellungsgespraech-muss-ich-urlaub-nehmen_118493.html

7 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

The employer is only required to give you time off work to attend an interview if the contract has already been terminated, I believe that fixed term contracts coming to an end also fall under this category.

But it must be agreed with the employer in advance as to the date, time and length of the absence.

https://www.anwalt.de/rechtstipps/vorstellungsgespraech-muss-ich-urlaub-nehmen_118493.html

I can translate too. Did you read the Zeit article? In any case, chill, seems pretty clear already.

Sorry, I don't get your point.

In your original post you ask multiple questions, so it is not clear which one you are trying to confirm with the Zeit article which refers to fixed term contracts.

And your circumstances are not clear.  Are you on a fixed term contract which is coming to an end?  Is your contract already terminated?

Our Betriebsvereinbarung(company policy I suppose) says we get one day off for an interview. 

I haven’t needed it, but have wondered if that meant interviews for another job at that company (internal transfer) or if they actually gave you a day off to look for another job. 

If your company has one, you may want to check their Betriebs vereinbarung. 

4 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Sorry, I don't get your point.

In your original post you ask multiple questions, so it is not clear which one you are trying to confirm with the Zeit article which refers to fixed term contracts.

And your circumstances are not clear.  Are you on a fixed term contract which is coming to an end?  Is your contract already terminated?

Just an ordinary permanent contract, which is still valid.

i loved finding all these links which assumed the reader was in some sort of crisis situation and only passing references to a normal situation.

28 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

Just an ordinary permanent contract, which is still valid.

i loved finding all these links which assumed the reader was in some sort of crisis situation and only passing references to a normal situation.

Ah, apparently the normal situation is that you never leave a job, you have to hide the fact you’re even considering other options?

sheesh, this country. First time I’ve said that in all the time I’ve been here!

32 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Do what many  of us do- take a day's paid leave to go to the interview!  Unless you have something in your contract that allows a day off for interviews!

That's absolutely becoming my preferred option, sad as it is.

The upside is being nice and chilled for the actual interview, and being able to relax and have fun the rest of the day as a reward for doing it.

Feels stupid to have to keep it this big secret though.