Wrong Freelance tax number

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a fulltime employee as software developer and want to start a side job with a company. I fill the "fragebogen zur steuerlichen erfassung" on Elster as kleinunternehmer and no umsatzsteuer (did not create a Gewerbe) and submitted to the tax office. After about 3 weeks, I got a new tax number(see in link) from the tax office, which I sent to the company but the company replied that the tax number is wrong and I can't do freelance work with it and that I should get a document like this(see in link). If I did not, I should go to the tax office and complain.

Also to add that, because the tax number was taking long to come, I went to the tax office and they wrote down the new tax number for me and when I asked if I can do freelance work with it, they said yes. So now I am confused with the requirements of the company

I did not get a rejection letter to the freelance application I submitted so I assume that my application was correct hence new tax number issued. 

Can someone please help confirm maybe I did something wrong or how I can check my status if I am a freelance or not?

Thanks

I can't say whether it is correct or not, but I deal with the same Finanzamt as you.  When I registered as a freelancer I did not get a document like the one in the second link.  (They told me I didn't need a new tax number in my situation as I switched from a Gewerbe and to keep using that).  When I registered initially as a Kleinunternehmer (with the Gewerbe) I also did not receive the document they are talking about.

I think you are probably fine, the Finanzamt said you are fine and it matches my experience with the same Amt. Also, as you will simply be invoicing the new company, I'm not sure what they need it for right now or what they are expecting.

I can confirm that I registered as a Freelancer (and Kleinunternehmer), and therefore only received the letter in the same format from the first link.

I also had the same doubts as you, so I went to the Finanzamt and they confirmed that this is the only letter I'll receive for now, which means the registration is ok and I should use the Steuernummer from the letter in the invoices.

Since I'm a Kleinunternehmer, the lady said I won't need to be paying monthly VATs and advance tax installments. /o/