Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lightning strike damage? What further safety measures are necessary?

26 posts in this topic

While a fused plug, as per in the UK, is essentially a good idea, in practice it is not so helpful. It does not  provide protection against earth leakage (what happens usually when someone gets an electric shock from a faulty appliance etc.) and typically nobody ever changes the max. rated 13A fuse supplied with the plug, to a lower one rated for the attached appliance.:o

Fuses protect the equipment / wiring.

Earth leakage / RCD protect people by cutting the power before any harm is done.

As a kid, I got a plug to look like that...

The 12v bell wasn't loud enough, so I gave it 230v AC. 

Result : loud bang (ears rang though).

Plus parental lecture...

BTW that was with the three pin bakelite stuff back in the sixties. Fuses in the cupboard, not the plug.

Just a quick update...after the air con repair man failed to notice that the plug and socket had burned out yet claimed he measured electrical current on the outside unit, we got another contractor to replace the socket and check the circuit etc.  The manufacturer's (Remko) service manager reckoned that the unit must work after the plug/socket is replaced.  Air con repairer reckoned there's no way it would ever work...no replacement parts available (manufacture says all parts are available)...must buy a new unit...Remko rubbish, made in China etc. 

We suggested to the insurance assessor that there might be no need for him to visit.  He came over anyway...great chap, really knew his stuff.  He checked over everything thoroughly, tweeked something or other and was thrilled to tell us to go and switch the air con on.  It worked!  He advised us not to pay the air con repair company apart from Anfahrt kosten stating 'falsch Diagnose' and get the contractor back who replaced the plug and socket to secure the socket better to the wall.  

All's well that ends well!  Thanks again for all of your advice.

20 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Fuses protect the equipment / wiring.

Earth leakage / RCD protect people by cutting the power before any harm is done.

As a kid, I got a plug to look like that...

The 12v bell wasn't loud enough, so I gave it 230v AC. 

Result : loud bang (ears rang though).

Plus parental lecture...

BTW that was with the three pin bakelite stuff back in the sixties. Fuses in the cupboard, not the plug.

The three pin bakelite plugs were different sizes.. therefore it was not possible to put a 5amp plug into a 15 amp socket.. there were also plat pins with round earthing pin styles too.. wylex I think...

19 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

The three pin bakelite plugs were different sizes.. therefore it was not possible to put a 5amp plug into a 15 amp socket.. there were also plat pins with round earthing pin styles too.. wylex I think...

If you mean the pre 13A ring main config. that was much older than the 1960s, more likely pre-war. Our family house built in the early 1950s had 13A my grandparents house from the 1930s had those 5/15A sockets. I don't think there was ever regulations requiring an upgrade, certainly as you mentioned still in use much later.

Have seen some horrendous cabling jobs in my career... Anyway, as I pointed out in my first two replies here, a properly certificated electrician would have seen this problem immediately.. it would have taken 10 minutes for an honest technician to diagnose, still get his call-out fee and travel cost paid, even if he didn't fix it. .. all they needed to do was to write, "mains electrical failure, Aircon in full working order".. but that requires honesty.. greed is a horrible trait..